Amps!

Zethlosa

Up until today, I'd always been using the shitty little practice amp that came with my guitar. (value brand set, about £90 all in)

Now that I'm starting to progress on guitar, I'd been looking for a new amp to have a play about with and see if that helped me at all. Popped into a local store, similar idea to a pawn shop/cash converters store, and noticed a Line6 Spider IV 15w for £39.99. 

Needless to say I picked it up and I've fallen head over heels in love with it since I got it home.

I used to have that Line 6 and it was great, In Insane amp mode you can get some crushing metal tones. Also it has a really loud volume for a small amp.

Yeah those model settings are fantastic for somebody like me who really doesn't know where to begin with all that sorta stuff.

I'm only using it as a practice amp as I'm nowhere near good enough to think about playing live or anything, so the volume is perfect. Good thing is that it would probably do me well at small venues too, if the need ever arises

• 2 weeks later...

I've connected my bass and guitar to a mixer using DI boxes and the mixer output goes into my super special soundcard in my PC which has hardware effects and stuff like that, and from there it goes into my hifi system connected to the other soundcard. The hifi takes care of all the amplimifacation. It's not really a proper setup but I never have to rewire anything and it works for me - for the moment.

I also have a little Harley Benson practice amp that I got with my first guitar, but I hardly ever use it. It's kinda screwy.

Edit: one mixer output also goes into the rocksmith cable! Forgot to mention that.

Edited by flummi

Up until today, I'd always been using the shitty little practice amp that came with my guitar. (value brand set, about £90 all in)

Now that I'm starting to progress on guitar, I'd been looking for a new amp to have a play about with and see if that helped me at all. Popped into a local store, similar idea to a pawn shop/cash converters store, and noticed a Line6 Spider IV 15w for £39.99. 

Needless to say I picked it up and I've fallen head over heels in love with it since I got it home.

I bought one of those for my son, awesome little amp. I think his is the 30-watt version.

I used to have a Fender Bassman goldface (late 1950's) amp and cabinet.  It had the warmest sound, especially with new tubes, but had a shocking personality.  But I let it go.  :cry:  Yeah ... I'm a freakin' genius!  Now I just use a small 25w practice amp.

Up until today, I'd always been using the shitty little practice amp that came with my guitar. (value brand set, about £90 all in)Now that I'm starting to progress on guitar, I'd been looking for a new amp to have a play about with and see if that helped me at all. Popped into a local store, similar idea to a pawn shop/cash converters store, and noticed a Line6 Spider IV 15w for £39.99. Needless to say I picked it up and I've fallen head over heels in love with it since I got it home.

I started off with that same amp and loved it. Since then I have moved up to the spider IV 75. Love the huge number of preset tones and the ability to save lots of my own.

I was thinking about picking up a new amp -- maybe one of those Vox amps with the massive pedalboard. Then I came across this:

Built in PROGRAMMABLE drums! Weird filter effects! It's like the guy reached into my brain and designed exactly what I've been looking for. Kind of pricey... gonna have to sell one of my guitars.

My amps consist of..

1967 Supro Thunderbolt

1967 Fender Bassman

1959 Gibson Discoverer

1965 Silvertone

THD Univalve

Jet City Picovalve

Fender Hot Rod Deville

90's Ampeg Reverberocket

and two "Rock" amps from the '80's, now a defunct company.

Also, one unknown "Eastern Amplifier" amp from the 1940's. 

If you consider the Fractal Audio Axe FX II an amp, then mark me down for one of those as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a B-52 AT100 head and a B-52 4x12 Stealth cab. Inexpensive suckers. I retubed the whole shabang, power and pre sections.

Dirty channel always sounded like balls, but the clean is sparkly clean…which I pollute with stomp boxes :mrgreen:

Been eyeballing the Marshall DSL15C so I'm not breaking my back every time I want to jam somewhere

• 4 weeks later...

I am using a Peavey KB100.  It is a keyboard amp (I do have a keyboard as well).  It has enough dynamic range that I can play both my guitar and bass through it.  With 3 inputs I have both the bass and guitar plugged in.  I can plug either a microphone or the keyboards into channel 1 as it has both xlr and 1/4" inputs.  I just got a 1/8" trs to dual 1/4" ts cable so I can plug my laptop into two channels of the amp and my guitar/bass connects to channel 1 via passive direct box (and the computer as well).

• 2 weeks later...

These days you're better off just buying a multi-effects and modelling pedal. When you're rehearsing or gigging just plug it straight into the PA. Basically means you're not limiting your tone by just having one amp or amp/cab combination.

• Like 1