Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 510

Rodman

6 hours ago, jellisjenius said:

First attempts for the week.

This is not quite Adv level IMO - maybe a 6 but I'd bump it down to 5.5 as it's so short and repetitive:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I think 6 is fine. With the riff going across all four frets thoroughly, I wouldn't want to rate it lower, because it seems like it would be a challenging intermediate song even though it is not a specifically challenging advanced song.

9 hours ago, jellisjenius said:

@ cacahuate51  To my knowledge we have never tried to compare Lead and Bass for difficulty ratings, they are each their own thing. The average bass part for a song is going to be easier to play than the average lead part, that doesn't mean we center our difficulties around the lead difficulty. Nor should we IMO. Many of us bass players have little to no interest in playing lead guitar.

@ jellisjenius  oof i think i've had this conversation before haha.

Well yea, generally speaking i wouldnt compare lead to bass. I would however, compare rhythm to bass since sometimes it can be the same path just without chords in rock/metal/ pop / guitar centered genres. In this case, i did compare it to the lead since this one doesnt have a rhythm path but does have alot of rhythm sections that are similar to the bass . I don't think doing so is too outfield, it's not comparing two completley different instruments like piano and drums or piano and guitar ( although honestly if you are good at one you can kinda pick up the other one easier but thats not the point) . I mean in some places they even call it a bass guitar.

I do understand not every bassist owns a guitar or would want to play the guitar or vice a versa, and i respect that. But if they were given one, it wouldnt be like he/she would have no clue on what is happening . Granted there might be some techniques that one side would be better at than the other like finger picking for bass or some skills like chords maybe for guitarist but they still would manage to play, i think.

All of that being said, I also do understand that bass can be almost like 1.5x bigger than a guitar( or atleast the one i own is, kinda makes the guitars look like a kids toy) making some riffs like w/m aka 1 skip note 1 skip note 1 (3, 5, 7) harder to play (that's not the case here ) cause its a bigger stretch and on top of that the strings being a bit thicker makes it more physically demanding.

So thats why im not too opposed of bass being the same or a bigger number and imo the ideal number would be between 0 to 2 above the rhythm if its similar ( up to 2 cause that still keeps it to only  a class above) . Any higher than 2 and i think its being a bit silly because a bassist should be used to those inconveniences since it is their instrument of choice, and honestly imo those inconvences balance out not having to do chords anyways.

Also yes, it is a bit challenging.. but the name of this is rocksmith challenge so i kinda would hope it would be challenging..not much point of you getting 97+ on your competition level (or higher) first try without practicing the song or having it played before imo. If that happens i think either the song is classified higher than it should be or the player needs to be in a higher level. I personally prefer the first option as the later would promote us all to masterclass and i think that'd kinda make this not as interesting/ a bit stale. It's more interesting when you and the other participants in your category have to practice a song for several missed notes rather than play the whole song and hope to not miss that 1 note to beat someones 99.86 imo.

/m/   Genre Custom dlc Playlists  + Weekly Rocksmith championship on Spotify @midi ogre
(you can use Scowalts app to download your liked spotify songs)

9 hours ago, jellisjenius said:

First attempts for the week.

This is not quite Adv level IMO - maybe a 6 but I'd bump it down to 5.5 as it's so short and repetitive:

i mean we both agreed its not advanced level so...xD

Also i l give you credit for predicting there not being a 100 percent last week, that surprised me.

/m/   Genre Custom dlc Playlists  + Weekly Rocksmith championship on Spotify @midi ogre
(you can use Scowalts app to download your liked spotify songs)

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer
2 hours ago, cacahuate51 said:

@ jellisjenius  oof i think i've had this conversation before haha.

Well yea, generally speaking i wouldnt compare lead to bass. I would however, compare rhythm to bass since sometimes it can be the same path just without chords in rock/metal/ pop / guitar centered genres. In this case, i did compare it to the lead since this one doesnt have a rhythm path but does have alot of rhythm sections that are similar to the bass . I don't think doing so is too outfield, it's not comparing two completley different instruments like piano and drums or piano and guitar ( although honestly if you are good at one you can kinda pick up the other one easier but thats not the point) . I mean in some places they even call it a bass guitar.

I do understand not every bassist owns a guitar or would want to play the guitar or vice a versa, and i respect that. But if they were given one, it wouldnt be like he/she would have no clue on what is happening . Granted there might be some techniques that one side would be better at than the other like finger picking for bass or some skills like chords maybe for guitarist but they still would manage to play, i think.

All of that being said, I also do understand that bass can be almost like 1.5x bigger than a guitar( or atleast the one i own is, kinda makes the guitars look like a kids toy) making some riffs like w/m aka 1 skip note 1 skip note 1 (3, 5, 7) harder to play (that's not the case here ) cause its a bigger stretch and on top of that the strings being a bit thicker makes it more physically demanding.

So thats why im not too opposed of bass being the same or a bigger number and imo the ideal number would be between 0 to 2 above the rhythm if its similar ( up to 2 cause that still keeps it to only  a class above) . Any higher than 2 and i think its being a bit silly because a bassist should be used to those inconveniences since it is their instrument of choice, and honestly imo those inconvences balance out not having to do chords anyways.

Also yes, it is a bit challenging.. but the name of this is rocksmith challenge so i kinda would hope it would be challenging..not much point of you getting 97+ on your competition level (or higher) first try without practicing the song or having it played before imo. If that happens i think either the song is classified higher than it should be or the player needs to be in a higher level. I personally prefer the first option as the later would promote us all to masterclass and i think that'd kinda make this not as interesting/ a bit stale. It's more interesting when you and the other participants in your category have to practice a song for several missed notes rather than play the whole song and hope to not miss that 1 note to beat someones 99.86 imo.

Haha, yeah - those tend to come back. But discussions about diff ratings and rules will always make it better, never worse - so HURRAY!!!

Shall i this time really keep it short, i don´t think i can... let´s see.

I think comparing guitar and bass charts is somewhat problematic for the difficulty of the same chart can vary a lot. Eg when it comes to chords but also fast sections with taps and when the pinky is used can be way harder while others will be pretty much the same diff.

Scores (acc %) won´t help you a lot in diff rating as a song shall be rated on the hardest part - if there is a part diff 8 in the middle of a otherwise single-note run song it´s not a good choice for the CS maybe, but still a 8 because only players capable of 8 can master it.

You did extremely well on your IM sightread - BRAVO!!!

As i did the ratings myself i know the charts well luckywise, and compared to all that we play the Paul part is an easier advanced (i was dragged between 6 and 6.5, 6.5 felt a bit more true) and the Maiden is an easy MC or hard ADV (7.5) - problem with long songs - you get less tries in the same amount of playing time which adds .5 probably and makes it better fit MC.

Yes, if i were in your shoes i would be pissed that week. You nearly aced MC one try and you already also have amazing 99+ on the awesome album. And it´s monday.

We shall have more harder bass songs more often!!!

Rock!!!

Rod.

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

10-week-leaderboard and Player-XP-Levels updated.

• Like 5

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

just out of curiosity for the guitar players here; do you set down your picks/plectrums and actually play finger-picked bass songs with your fingers?

if so, bravo - that is a completely different skill than using a pick (and i'll admit i suck at using a pick)

I'm not gonna sit here and try and debate the difficulty range of instruments, but each serves a job, and they are not 1:1 comparisons.

• Like 1

Todays scores great song selections again 

One of my favourite albums growing up

DFB6E608824B754BFE15A4C96EEC1C219FF0831F (1920×1080)

Not so good chord register on rhythm 

10472380481F7D3D1CA2E5DC369EBFEAB343A43C (1920×1080)

Beatles always great to play looking forward to the bass on this one

24DB76A8D6DFCC8F0F02A93548CADAE93CC87D93 (1920×1080)

Love steel panther Not much lead and some tricky rhythm changes 

3C4D5F77104525AA7C0CA7D62A61ED991953BEBA (1920×1080)

How can you not have a go at maiden could play this all day just soooo good

800AC48BAE565801132D82F6D30E892706B6E77C (1920×1080)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hyphema said:

just out of curiosity for the guitar players here; do you set down your picks/plectrums and actually play finger-picked bass songs with your fingers?

if so, bravo - that is a completely different skill than using a pick (and i'll admit i suck at using a pick)

I'm not gonna sit here and try and debate the difficulty range of instruments, but each serves a job, and they are not 1:1 comparisons.

I switch between thumb and fingers. And when they get sore which they very often do I will have a go with the pick, but I feel Rocksmith doesn't register( timing wise )as good with a pick on the bass.

15 hours ago, Hyphema said:

I'm still fairly new, playing guitar for less than 2 years - but I also try to play bass the usual way.
I watched a few videos when I bought my bass last year and try to keep in mind what to do and what not to do when it comes to muting the strings, thumb placement on higher strings, and whatnot. 

When it says (picked) in RS I do try to use a pick but it still feels kinda awkward from time to time because the strings are so thick (Not sure if I should try to get some thicker picks for that🤔)

scores from sunday, I forgot to post them!

beatles being the beatles, fun to play

I love them, they never disappoint! Had a bit of hard time reading the starting part. remembers x-kid from green day as someone already reported

great song. I don't think it's a 9, if I get 93% sightreading it

• Like 3

I was at the Rammstein concert yesterday - what a show!

I don't know how much time I will have this week, for now I'll post scores of the songs I played earlier for testing.

20230607202545-1.jpg

This is my suggestion, not some @wild ffassda, probably someone made a joke in the song suggestion sheet lol.

20230227211529-1.jpg

20230227212504-1.jpg

• Like 2

Ah this is moderately fun to play. Basically just chords and a very short solo. Plus, this is an old CDLC with slow scrolling, which makes it hard for me to feel the notes. I have a slight feeling that these suggestions of Steel Panther songs are some kind of trolling from @ nlbsmglsk  🙃

20230801213041-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1