Which band inspired you to pick up an instrument?

ShrillBear52

Wich band  inspired you to play guitar or bass or other instrument?

To me,mostly it was Green Day when i was about 12-13 years old.I listend  Jesus of Suburbia so many times,and then i thought  how awsome  could be to play guitar like them, and even make a rock band but it was just a dream to me,just to learn to play the guitar and didn't even  know Rocksmith.So yeah,to me Green Day inspired me also Billy Talent with their cool songs like Viking Death March,Fallen Leaves,Saint Veronika etc,but wich band or even music inspired you to play? 

• Like 2

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

Good question...

I would say Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd...I wanted to play like David Gilmour so badly....Hence why I started with Stratocasters (his preferred instrument), I still love their sound but kind of moved on from just wanted to sound like him, and to embrace a whole variety of styles. But that's what got me to pick up my guitar in the first place.

• Like 4

The Cult and Guns N' Roses

Edit: I bought a Les Paul because of Slash, and I really desire a Gretsch because of Billy Duffy from The Cult, but I think I'm gonna settle for the Epiphone Riviera P93 Custom because of the reviews compared to pretty much any Gretsch.

• Like 2

Kirk Hammet and Metallica. To be precise Kirk's solos. Playing them in Guitar Hero was fun, but not enough anymore :)

And already in Rocksmith (as I started to learn how to play with RS2014) - 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson. That song blew my mind. If there is a difficult song I want to master, it's that one. Mr. Fripp is a beast.

While I always liked sound of bass, it was Rocksmith Championship that made me pick one up.

• Like 1

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

Iron Maiden probably, about 27 years ago. I vividly remember listening to no prayer for the dying over and over on my walkman, drumming out the bass line while drifting off to sleep :) uThough I didn't pick up a bass until about 3 years ago. I actually prefer prog rock and other genres now but Steve Harris was the catalyst, shortly after being introduced to Iron Maiden a friend let me borrow Rush Roll the Bone, Fly by Night and Rush albums on cassette and Geddy Lee blew my mind. I spent the next 27 years trying and failing guitar until I realised those 2 extra strings were throwing me off, got a bass a never looked back. RS championships have rekindled my iron maiden flame and introduced me to some amazing music/musicians. Ska-P, Graveyard and Ghost to name a few :)

• Like 2

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone that I wanted to play bass as soon as I heard Roxanne aged 11....

• Like 2

I chart BASS PARTS ONLY. Requests for guitar parts will be ignored. I hope that is clear. 

Twitter updates: @jamesprestonuk

Donations: https://paypal.me/jamesprestonuk?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB (thank you!)

I got inspired by some local patriotic rock/metal bands. I wanted to play music with message, not about nihilism as most rock songs. If I decided to pick up guitar or any other instrument now, I would be inspired by symphonic metal like Within Temptation, Nightwish, Epica but also some power metal bands.

• Like 2

I guess for me it started with Take No Prisoners from Megadeth.

My Dad's truck just kind of boomed and I fell in love with it, and wondered who the witch that was singing it was(Dave sounded like a witch when i was 4 okay?) 

It wouldnt be for another 8 years I started playing. I think Guitar Hero was about out at the time as well, which is what pushed me into guitar.

Many nice scores on all songs :)

I had no real inspiration when going to music/guitar classes when I was young (at 14years old). Then picked up guitar again 10 years later because of Jimi Hendrix. Everytime I am still amazed at what he could do with a guitar/sounds, how unique his playing was, how powerfull most his songs feel and how down to earth he was. Some people are true artists

• Like 1

I first started getting lessons when I was 11 years old, I was inspired by T.Rex's Marc Bolan, I just remember seeing him whilst my dad watched television.. and everything blew me away. I was already a fan of Guns N' Roses and I started to focus on Slash and Duff McKagan a lot more than I used to.

I quit lessons but continued again after seeing Nirvana, I ended up learning the drums because of this.. I thought I'd always be a failure on guitar due to being unable to listen to teachers.

I started again recently, maybe about a month back. I'm still to this day inspired by T.Rex and others.

(T.Rex, Nirvana, The Sex Pistols, Guns N Roses, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Smiths, Public Image LTD, The Ramones. 30 Seconds To Mars, Status Quo etc.)

I also remember an interesting love of guitars came when I watched Back To The Future 2 and seen Marty play ''Johnny B Goode'' on stage.. that also blew me away.

• 2 weeks later...

Truthfully it wasn't actually a band so much as a variety of Youtube users...

331erock (Eric Calderone), Epic Game Music (James Ronald), Game N Sound, LittleVMills, The Megas, ThatSk8tr (Chuck Dietz).

Oh, and Dwelling of Duels. 

Even if you're not a gamer I'd still recommend checking out some of their works simply because they have some amazing music. 

Yeah Erick Caldrone, I just searched for him on here and found your post. That guy can play he is an inspiration all you have to do is relax, smash a song to bits, and fill it in with your own amazing talent! I wish it where that easy, but he makes you believe it for a moment after a couple familiar tunes! I grabbed a few of his songs on here like Danger Zone and Batman Beyond/Frozen (Yeah even that one is freaking awesome) meets Metal. But wish I could get the one in the video I am linking, It would be real fun to jam to his take. The original is up thankfully and it looks pretty good, not as jammy or technical as 331Erock though.  :P

I swear he just smiles, and one takes all these bad-ass covers with amazing feels it's ridiculous! He has to be one of if not THE greatest guitarists of our time. And he hates contests he thinks it diminishes the Integrity of the Art, so he is strictly YouTube/Self, how cool is that? I would take a bullet for this guy Metal needs him he is that important to the future...  of Metal!    o7

feels/fills*

Btw I am drunk, and its... I'ma use one of these they have so many...  :clock10:  :sheep:  :kissing:  :joy_cat:

I hear you. He makes playing those songs look so easy, but stepping back for a second shows just how technical he's getting there. (Especially around the 2:30 mark in the Superman meets Metal video...)

He has some amazing tracks that I'd love to see added up here. (MegaMan, Metal Gear, Zelda, Ghostbusters, Robocop, Terminator, etc... )

Plus he often gets right into costume for his music too... Like this:

Also I forgot to mention FamilyJules7X. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a kid I listened to 50's stuff - Elvis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, pretty much everything from that era. My mum's sister used to work at a record pressing plant so my Mum had all these old 45's and test pressings.

As an 11yr old I became a Beatles fanatic and listened to every song they ever released.

In the early to mid 80's it was alternative and punk for me, everything from the Exploited through to the Dead Kennedy's, Black Flag, Reagan Youth, Sex Pistols, Adicts, Toy Dolls.

All those things I loved, and still do, but none of them ever made me feel like I could actually play in a band.

Then in about 84 I saw a VHS tape of Rock'n'roll High School at the local video store. I just borrowed it because of the cool looking cover. Then half way through that movie I saw the Ramones play some concert footage and it was like a light going off. I'd heard of the Ramones, but never actually heard them play. The minute Dee Dee yelled out the iconic 1-2-3-4 I was in. The next day I bought the It's Alive double album and wore it out.

It was another 5 years before I actually played in a band, as a strange quirk of fete I played my first gig a fortnight after getting back from New York after seeing my first Ramones gig (even managed to get on the door list for the Ramones gig thanks to a mate of mine giving me Monte Melnicks, their road manager at the time, home number. And once I told him I was coming from Australia and just wanted to know if the Ramones were playing he hooked me up.)

But thanks to the Ramones, their energy and drive and the fact they played music that I loved and yet did not seem so intimidating that I would never play it, that is what got me into playing guitar, well bass in a band.

Since the Ramones it has mainly been bands that I have seen live that have been great inspirations like Rollins Band, Nirvana, Primus, as examples, all of whom I was lucky enough to play gigs with so got to meet them, watch soundcheck etc.

As for current bands, the first new band to grab me in a big way is BabyMetal, BOH has reignited the passion, I realise they are manufactured, but they are one of the freshest most energetics bands in decades

• Like 1