bloody beginner, help me to improve

D-Rock

Holla at you,

first I've got to say this community is one of the best I've seen so far! Everyone of you please feel complimented, you guys are so devoted and so friendly to new and beginner people like me.

There should be more people like you in the internet.

So, coming to my topic:

I'm a bloody beginner, never touched a guitar before Rocksmith2014 but 21 days ago I picked up Rocksmith2014 and have 4 Songs on 70-80%ish.

It's Drops of Jupiter, Numb (love both songs), Blitzkrieg Bop and Otherside.

Sometimes I just plug my guitar to my amp and repeat those riffs and surprisingly it sounds really good and clean.

Also I'm able to play the Smooth Criminal mainriff - more or less.

So yesterday I thought let's try Nothing Else Matters, Stairway To Heaven or I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing.

But it was really terrible.

Are there any songs which you can recommend based on the songs I've played already?
I've also took a look into Rocksmith Championship Songs but most of them were too hard for me to play along. I've tried Fly Away, Boomfunk MC's, Game Of Thrones Theme and I couldn't play anything of it.

It doesn't matter if it's DLC or CDLC. I really want to improve. Please help me stay motivated.

Before I play I'll do a warmup with different scales for like 10-15minutes is there anything I can add to my warmup exercises?

Thank you in advance.

• Administrator

@@D-Rock Well maybe start with the beginner songs on the championship, not the masterclass ones that are aimed at advanced and experimented guitarist.

No need to worry about sounding bad on complicated song, those have been recorded and played by very talented guitarist and not being able to reproduce them with barely a month of guitar under your belt is perfectly normal.

For warmup exercise you can always search for the artist "you" which is used by a few people to share exercise and practice track.

I would also suggest to try all the on disc songs and try all of them, just because it doesn't sound appealing doesn't mean that it won't be fun to play and you'll surely learn something from it.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@D-Rock Well maybe start with the beginner songs on the championship, not the masterclass ones that are aimed at advanced and experimented guitarist.

[...]

I would also suggest to try all the on disc songs and try all of them, just because it doesn't sound appealing doesn't mean that it won't be fun to play and you'll surely learn something from it.

Yea I tried songs supposed to be for beginners, I'm just wondering how other beginners can achieve 90% or more. I don't know, I think even those beginner songs in the championship are too demanding for me - at least for now.

Will do it next week, when I accomplished some progress this week. 

Thanks for your advice!

Very appreciated.

• Like 1

I've been playing for about 4 months now, I definitely consider myself a beginner.  Some songs are easier for different people as well.  I started with a couple websites and a couple books then picked up the rocksmith. The songs I've had "luck" with so far (better than 80%):

Lead

Incubus - I miss you

Billy Idol - Mony Mony (Thank You Championship for getting this one in my list!)

Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones

Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might be Giants

Rythm

Black - Pearl Jam

Three Little Birds - Bob Marley

Lucky for me I've been playing music for 30 years now, just recently starting guitar though.

The more you play the more familiar you will get with the instrument as well.  When I started out when something said it was on the 9th fret, 8 or 10 notes would go by before I found it.  Now I find my frets with a glance and from time to time without looking at the fretboard.  So I think a lot can be said for practice to get familiar with the instrument.

Finger Warm Up 1 and Finger Warm Up 2 - both CDLC under the artist You, have been great.  I only use them in the riff repeater and I turn it down to 10 speed (or lower) and let it go up in increments of five.

Hope any of that helps, again I'm just starting out myself.

• Like 1

I've been playing for about 4 months now, I definitely consider myself a beginner.  Some songs are easier for different people as well.  I started with a couple websites and a couple books then picked up the rocksmith. The songs I've had "luck" with so far (better than 80%):

Lead

Incubus - I miss you

Billy Idol - Mony Mony (Thank You Championship for getting this one in my list!)

Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones

Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might be Giants

Rythm

Black - Pearl Jam

Three Little Birds - Bob Marley

Lucky for me I've been playing music for 30 years now, just recently starting guitar though.

The more you play the more familiar you will get with the instrument as well.  When I started out when something said it was on the 9th fret, 8 or 10 notes would go by before I found it.  Now I find my frets with a glance and from time to time without looking at the fretboard.  So I think a lot can be said for practice to get familiar with the instrument.

Finger Warm Up 1 and Finger Warm Up 2 - both CDLC under the artist You, have been great.  I only use them in the riff repeater and I turn it down to 10 speed (or lower) and let it go up in increments of five.

Hope any of that helps, again I'm just starting out myself.

Thanks, both Finger Warm Ups are great and your idea of starting slow is fantastic aswell. I'll put it to my exercises.

If you imported the RS1 songs:

Angela

Boys don't cry

I can't hear you

Next girl

Song2

Where is my mind

(these are the songs I learned when I started out)

• Like 1

Check out my Custom Inlays topic here

Customize those dots at fret 3, 5, 7,... with your favourite band logo!

Check out my Youtube channel here

Rock, Punk and Metal Rocksmith playthroughs, Just Dance Audio Swaps and Synthesia Piano Plays

Rise Against DG - ADTR DG - Enter Shikari DG

Beartooth DG - Senses Fail DG - Just Dance Topic

Nobuo Uematsu - Oppressed People - Final Fantasy VII / FF7

Bass or BASS Emulation (66.67*% of Guitar, less chords) or Guitar... Pretty Easy...

FF8 - Nobuo Uematsu - Compression Of Time

Only has 4 different notes but good beginner picking practise IMO...

• Like 1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

@@D-Rock - Man, welcome aboard!

Be warned, you will likely spend all your free time shredding, and it´s not likely to stop ;)

Yesterday i was like talking to myself "Damn summer is over and i have not been lying in the sun in the garden, not for one minute..." and the reply from my lil 5yo daughter was "That´s NO WONDER, dad when you are not spending time with us all that is in your head is playing your guitars to your wall (beamer) down in the cellar" ... Haha. After thinking really long about that said i came to the conclusion that this is still a good thing because i spend a real lot of time with my kids and recently proposed to my girl, and she still said yes, so it can´t be that bad.

Back to your (non)issue:

Well i have to raise the flag for the Championships, simply because the CS is good for you!

Every week you will be getting songs thoroughly classified by difficulty (something you do not get on official songs, strangely) and in beginner level (1-3 out of 10) they are gonna be in the bottom 1/3. Of course that does in no way mean you will grab your gear and 90 them instantly, or even achieve mastery, but you will be forced to work on all the techiques you need to learn also outside of your comfort zone, and you will progress quickly if you do. And you do that in a fun-competition way that really really helps pushing ones limits.

Also you get to know a lot of new bands making great guitar music which is not a bad thing either (for me thats Rob Zombie, Muse, Metric only to name few that made it to my most favs)

Wanna take a bet? Take on the challenge and you will be ending with your first 90ies in october, and by yearchange you will be regular 95 and on the edge to get that 99 on a 3-song to advance to intermediate.

One more important thought: In guitar playing there most likely will always be someone far more skilled than you, and that is no problem. If you set your target like - i wanna become masterclass asap, or i wanna be able to play stairway to heaven perfectly thats a problem! If you see how much fun it is just to play and improve exactly on your level and set the way as your target its always be joyful.

Rock!

R.

• Like 2

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

@@D-Rock You don't need to play it, just own it on your steam account.

Yes, and if i remember correctly you have to buy the RS1 import tool (also on steam)!

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

@@D-Rock You don't need to play it, just own it on your steam account.

Yea I think every now and then need to check Steamsales 

@@D-Rock - Man, welcome aboard!

Be warned, you will likely spend all your free time shredding, and it´s not likely to stop ;)

Yesterday i was like talking to myself "Damn summer is over and i have not been lying in the sun in the garden, not for one minute..." and the reply from my lil 5yo daughter was "That´s NO WONDER, dad when you are not spending time with us all that is in your head is playing your guitars to your wall (beamer) down in the cellar" ... Haha. After thinking really long about that said i came to the conclusion that this is still a good thing because i spend a real lot of time with my kids and recently proposed to my girl, and she still said yes, so it can´t be that bad.

Back to your (non)issue:

Well i have to raise the flag for the Championships, simply because the CS is good for you!

Every week you will be getting songs thoroughly classified by difficulty (something you do not get on official songs, strangely) and in beginner level (1-3 out of 10) they are gonna be in the bottom 1/3. Of course that does in no way mean you will grab your gear and 90 them instantly, or even achieve mastery, but you will be forced to work on all the techiques you need to learn also outside of your comfort zone, and you will progress quickly if you do. And you do that in a fun-competition way that really really helps pushing ones limits.

Also you get to know a lot of new bands making great guitar music which is not a bad thing either (for me thats Rob Zombie, Muse, Metric only to name few that made it to my most favs)

Wanna take a bet? Take on the challenge and you will be ending with your first 90ies in october, and by yearchange you will be regular 95 and on the edge to get that 99 on a 3-song to advance to intermediate.

One more important thought: In guitar playing there most likely will always be someone far more skilled than you, and that is no problem. If you set your target like - i wanna become masterclass asap, or i wanna be able to play stairway to heaven perfectly thats a problem! If you see how much fun it is just to play and improve exactly on your level and set the way as your target its always be joyful.

Rock!

R.

Congratulations buddy! Everytime it makes me happy when I see parents involve their kids and spend time with them. 

I promise I'm going to join the Championship by the end of the next week. At the moment I'm really busy with work and other social activities - I'm living in Munich and letting friends from different countries and cities sleepover (it's like a fulltime job adding the fact to show them around aswell, pubs, bars, clubs and sightseeing stuffs).

The day before yesterday I caught myself having a guilty conscience about breaking my streak and not playing on one day :D

And yes you're absolutely right there is always someone who's put more effort and time and is therefore more skilled - it's just I need an excuse for not being that good yet.

• Like 1

Right then Vü Spass auf da Wiesn noch und heb a Hoibe fia mi mit!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I Mainly Play Bass but I played this one on both bass arrangements and also guitar and enjoyed it enough to think it's a good easy track...

No Chords = :)

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/its-hard-to-stand-on-two-feet-its-difficult-to-stand-on-both-feet-isnt-it-r31745

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...

After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

What helped me when first beginning was to play my favorite songs/artists. If you already know the tune its a lot easier to play along with. And like others have stated already its all just practice. Also, if you haven't already, go through the lessons in the main menu. They do help with understanding your instrument.

• 2 months later...

I'm a beginner too so join the Championship!! we get to learn a new beginner song each week, also there is a spreadsheet with list of all past songs for beginners.

Currently i'm not just trying to learn beginner songs but also spending ALOT of my time on the technique games and trying some of the more difficult stuff. It's frustrating, being bad and i often want to quit and go watch TV or do summit else but i'm currently trying to buck my previous trend. Persevere and conquer.

If you need extra motivation and want to attack learning the guitar take a listen to this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIrT1eHs1b0. He changed my outlook on my life. 

• Like 1

Welcome D-Rock, I look forward to seeing your score postings.

I have been "Playing" for several years and sometimes I think that I'm a beginner and other times not. For me the biggest set backs were caused by trying to learn a song that was way beyond my abilities and becoming frustrated. After playing the song so many times and not making progress made me not want to play.

Enter Rocksmith. A friend of mine has the original game, I tried it and hated it. Fast forward a year and RS2014 is on sale so I bought it. I played it for maybe 40 hours and never finished a song. Rocksmith was never played for probably 6 months, I probably didn't pick up the guitar much either. Then I found customsforge and I joined the Championship. No I'm not God of Guitar yet but I am making progress and most importantly, I am enjoying playing guitar. The championship motivates me to compete and I don't have to be perfect and I don't have to win but yes I'm having fun and improving.

The classification of difficulty is not an exact science so don't be alarmed when the current week's song is kicking your ass twice as hard as last week's song. Just keep at it.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me i found that trying songs that i know from listening to them and slowing them down in riff repeater until i got it 100% worked well but try not to pick really tough songs until you understand finger placement as it can be discouraging if things get too tough. Congrats on starting the path but you never stop learning.

• 4 months later...

Gojira - The Fall & Over The Flows on bass are some of my favs ... before playing heavier Gojira for eg... #METAL
some Nine Inch Nails or Eminem on Bass is fairly easy / repetitive if that helps... (try Bass Emulation on Guitar if need be)