Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 247

Gamut

Gave up on this one in the middle... can somebody tell me how to play this part? I can stretch fingers from 10th fret to 13th easily, 14th is very hard and 15th seems impossible unless I bend over backwards and put guitar almost vertically straight

sFdCTPi.jpg

You should keep practicing until you can improve the flexibility and dexterity of your hand. However, you can bypass it in the mean time by using the g string to play the 14th and 15th frets. I put a tab example below like how you would play the picture above. The 14th fret on D is the same as the 9th fret on G and the 15th fret on D is the same as the 10th fret on G.

e|---------------------------------------------------------------|

B|---------------------------------------------------------------|

G|-------------------9--------------------9---------10---------|

D|-------12---------x---------12--------x----------x----------|

A|-------10--------10--------10--------10--------10---------|

E|---------------------------------------------------------------|

Nvm, just saw one of your more recent posts and saw that you already knew to skip a string. It'll definitely be easier on the hand but it might also be harder in a different way. Just experiment and see what works best for you.

• Like 2

@@ZeroPingNZ I'm actually able to stretch my fingers to reach the 15th fret. so I keep my 1st finger on the 10th, 2nd on the 12th and I use my pinkie to slide between the 14th and 15th fret or I just use my ring finger depending on the setup.

When trying the string skip I found the easiest way might be to try keeping the 2nd finger on the 10th fret and sliding the 1st finger behind your 2nd to play the 9th and 10th fret while using the pinkie to play the 12th fret.

For now I recommend playing songs with suspended chords to help with flexibility. Sus chords use 3 fingers and go up 2 frets on each string.

Example:

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------9-----------7----------------------|
D|------6----------11-----------7-----------5----------------------|
A|------4-----------9-----------5-----------3----------------------|
E|------2-----------7-----------------------------------------------|

If you'd like I can recommend some songs that will help you get used to stretching your fingers. It'll hurt but it's the best way to get your hand adjusted to making those moves. For now the best example that comes to mind is "every breath you take - police". It might be a bit hard for you but you should at least practice it so you can get used to the hand shape.

• Like 3

@@ZeroPingNZ I'm actually able to stretch my fingers to reach the 15th fret. so I keep my 1st finger on the 10th, 2nd on the 12th and I use my pinkie to slide between the 14th and 15th fret or I just use my ring finger depending on the setup.

When trying the string skip I found the easiest way might be to try keeping the 2nd finger on the 10th fret and sliding the 1st finger behind your 2nd to play the 9th and 10th fret while using the pinkie to play the 12th fret.

For now I recommend playing songs with suspended chords to help with flexibility. Sus chords use 3 fingers and go up 2 frets on each string.

Example:

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

B|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

G|-------------------------------9-----------7----------------------|

D|------6----------11-----------7-----------5----------------------|

A|------4-----------9-----------5-----------3----------------------|

E|------2-----------7-----------------------------------------------|

If you'd like I can recommend some songs that will help you get used to stretching your fingers. It'll hurt but it's the best way to get your hand adjusted to making those moves. For now the best example that comes to mind is "every breath you take - police". It might be a bit hard for you but you should at least practice it so you can get used to the hand shape.

I just tried it and yes, I can also do it :) it feels uncomfortable and I'll need to practice the transition at a slow pace. Will try playing The Police, what are some other easy to play songs are?

The Last time we did "Mother May I" I was hoping to do better than the previous time we did it to that but had no time to accomplish it... I made a little improvement last night though :) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1442182141

Egg, Shoe: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1441595092

I like this bands name, I like this bands song title, I like the song :) Just cuteness all around :D

• Like 3

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

@@ZeroPingNZ   A lot of us felt that we where moved up a class to soon.   But you'll get used to it like the rest of us.  You are still allowed to play the beginner songs.    And just so you know.  Its 10cm from fret 1-4 and only 9cm from 10-15.

• Like 1

Fun song, nothing too tricky:

RPfPUxM.jpg

Another fun song, slightly trickier:

pF5AwZR.jpg

This one took me a few tries . The main riff is very quirky, it's interesting playing in such a weird time signature:

Ti1x2f1.jpg

Strangely when I played this in Learn a Song it showed as 100% even though I'm sure I missed a few notes. Tried again in Score Attack to get a more accurate number. This is mostly ok, if I played through it a few times I could probably get to 100%, but it's too long and not interesting enough so this will have to do:

5jPRiFO.jpg

• Like 5

First go at Egg on Saturday with my daughter, I guess I'm going to have to learn the frethand mutes.  It was very difficult and I got discouraged.  I played it again Sunday and had an easier time, but it still leveled me down.  Still less discouraging though.  We will see how I do tonight.

tZFhYce.jpg

Wow..this one is hard with all of the different positions moving up and down the neck.  Odd chords too.  Can't get through it without it leveling me down, even the second day.  Broke down and riff repeated it, but still can't play it full speed.  I don't usually riff repeat, but I just couldn't figure out what was going on.  Still don't know.  Can anyone explain the rhythm part from a music standpoint?  Is it just in an odd key, or non-standard chord progression?  It seems different than anything I've played.

dgWjBI0.jpg

• Like 2

Championship Leaderboard                                                         Song Selection Sheet

First try of the week, bass to start the ball rolling 

mjaq5nv19bor7n16g.jpg

58ac5vkj9wmk43j6g.jpg

eklzpxcpy3c9gpw6g.jpg

I had a go at the Metalica racket but i missed the screen shot, it didn't matter anyway as i still had 2 orange bars showing.

gotta take a shower now absolutely dripping with sweat........ not used to this heat in London  :weary:

night night all

• Like 2

@@ZeroPingNZ It was a bit harder than I thought finding songs that were playable but also had techniques that would help with stretching. I'm not sure what is easy for you but all these are intermediate - advanced. The only way to get better is to push yourself.

DLC                                         difficulty          notes

Black - Pearl Jam                         6                good chords but the ending is what you need

Pardon me - incubus                     5

Mr. Brightside - the killers             7                will help adjust to odd hand shapes

Message in a bottle - Police          7                Probably the best song to help besides "every breath you take"

CDLC

Erotomania - Dream Theater       6                 The intro will help with using all 4 fingers

Stream of consciousness - D.T     6                 Lots of stretchy chords and quick fretting. Only thing that isn't playable is the solo

30-hour workout - Steve Vai         x                 If you want to get better I highly recommend using this to practice

In Game

Plug-in baby - Muse                     6                 

• Like 4

@@ZeroPingNZ It was a bit harder than I thought finding songs that were playable but also had techniques that would help with stretching. I'm not sure what is easy for you but all these are intermediate - advanced. The only way to get better is to push yourself.

DLC                                         difficulty          notes

Black - Pearl Jam                         6                good chords but the ending is what you need

Pardon me - incubus                     5

Mr. Brightside - the killers             7                will help adjust to odd hand shapes

Message in a bottle - Police          7                Probably the best song to help besides "every breath you take"

CDLC

Erotomania - Dream Theater       6                 The intro will help with using all 4 fingers

Stream of consciousness - D.T     6                 Lots of stretchy chords and quick fretting. Only thing that isn't playable is the solo

30-hour workout - Steve Vai         x                 If you want to get better I highly recommend using this to practice

In Game

Plug-in baby - Muse                     6                 

Thank you, I appreciate your effort :) I got promoted to Int Lead recently but that's way over my skill level now