Got a bad guitar habit, need help fixing it.

Hey guitarists, 

Does anyone else 'tuck' their pinky in on their fretting hand...When I do barre chords or need my pinky it comes up and works just fine, I can do bends with it, but I feel I have no control over my pinky on my fretting hand. Like it's the least 'worked out' or adept finger on my hand.

How do I reverse this habit/ problem as I took a video of myself playing and it looks very awkward, it also makes my hand tense. I want my pinky to just chill and be a bit more useful like the rest of my fingers. Are there exercises to help incorporate my pinky more? Does anyone else have this problem/habit? 

How would you suggest I fix this? I try to be conscious of it when I'm playing, but still it keeps tucking and I use my three fingers. 

:wacko: Please help. Thank you!

• Like 1

I am the exact same, playing bass is like "Ok so I am not doing chords or anything in this song, pinky go hide now". Honestly I find it easier with my pinky behind as it gives me more support with holding the neck, or I will end up using my pinky instead of my ring finger. If it doesnt affect your playing, dont worry about it dude.

• Like 1

Shit Bassist GG WP

As long as you can use your pinky for fretting whenever necessary and with the same accuracy, force and speed as the other fingers then I wouldn't worry about it curling into your palm because mine does the same and I have seem some fantastic players where the very same thing happens.

• Like 1

I am the exact same, playing bass is like "Ok so I am not doing chords or anything in this song, pinky go hide now". Honestly I find it easier with my pinky behind as it gives me more support with holding the neck, or I will end up using my pinky instead of my ring finger. If it doesnt affect your playing, dont worry about it dude.

I'm a bass player as well, and I'm the exact opposite, I use my pinky constantly.  I also tend to play standing, so I let the strap do the heavy lifting  ^_^

• Like 1

I'm a bass player as well, and I'm the exact opposite, I use my pinky constantly.  I also tend to play standing, so I let the strap do the heavy lifting  ^_^

I play both standing and sitting, either way the pink likes to hide :) 

• Like 1

Shit Bassist GG WP

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this problem? ie. I'm doing a power chord, using finger 1 and 3, or a riff that requires fingers 1 and 3 or 2...pinky goes and curls down. Need longer stretches? Pinky comes up, but I really don't *want* to have this habit, watching videos of myself playing it looks horrendous like my pinky is disjointed...

TIPS please...

So for a barre chord you don't use your pinky? I always do use my pinky, but! I do curl him very weird, I don't make like a upward arc with him, but like an inward arc, it kinda looks weird if you start paying attention to it, but its just how my hand works.

My powerchords or barre chords are correct so I never bothered do push my pinky any way else.

But! :P for fretting my pinky is mostly useless, I do can use him if I need him in some solo's or scales. But if its easy enough I tuck him away behind the neck

You can clearly see the powerchord pinky use and the lead fretting pinky use in this vid: 

Top is lead and my pink is behind the neck, bot is rythm and there I always use him for powerchords

EDIT: I also noticed when I do octave chords, I don't use my pink :d

As long as you can play at the speed you want with your 3 other fingers I wouldn't be concerned to much about it, if you do want to improve then practice the pinky movement, just alot of practice, start easy and slow, better correct and clean then sloppy

• Like 1

Check out my Custom Inlays topic here

Customize those dots at fret 3, 5, 7,... with your favourite band logo!

Check out my Youtube channel here

Rock, Punk and Metal Rocksmith playthroughs, Just Dance Audio Swaps and Synthesia Piano Plays

Rise Against DG - ADTR DG - Enter Shikari DG

Beartooth DG - Senses Fail DG - Just Dance Topic

No I use my pinky for barre chords, just not 3 note power chords...and I use my pinky when have to solo or do scales , it pops right up when it needs to be there...but it looks awkward and just horrible when I record myself playing..

@ Pyrobillie, my pinky is doing the EXACT SAME THING as yours...especially watch the upper right vid...yeah, it's doing that.

• Administrator

IF you don't have issue using your pinky when you need to, then don't worry about what the pinky do when you don't use it at all unless it really gets in the way of your playing.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 2 weeks later...

Structure your Rocksmith practice, when you're on select song or whatever and just waiting run through a bit of a song you know without the track, focus heavily on technique of your fretting hand. Do this say the first 10 to 15 minutes, it will build better fretting and it's a decent warmup.

• Like 1

Structure your Rocksmith practice, when you're on select song or whatever and just waiting run through a bit of a song you know without the track, focus heavily on technique of your fretting hand. Do this say the first 10 to 15 minutes, it will build better fretting and it's a decent warmup.

Great advice, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have severe trigger finger issues with both pinkies and I gave up. I can use my left one, sorta, but like Byecal said, Django Reinhardt. However, I am a bass player and do some lead/classical/jazz guitar. Flat out, I am lousy at chords. Rhythm guitar? Yeah, whatever, just not happening here.

My primary style is 3 fingers over 5 frets, both on bass and guitar. (And all of my basses are 35" scale, even my 4 string basses.) With enough practice it's turning out very smooth, because I use it consistently. And that consistency, more than the actual technique, seems to be doing the trick going from basic beginner, to advanced beginner. Boy I wish I'd started 30+ years ago. 

• Like 1