Rescuing Customs

MVega

Question

This idea came up in response to another thread.

In my opinion, there should be a method of 'rescuing' CDLCs of charters who have disappeared (for one reason or another). There's no reason why the rest of us shouldn't have the right to continue to play these files.

On the other hand, no one should be allowed to (or wish to) take credit for someone else's work. So is there a way to  upload CDLCs under a "Legacy" heading of some sort?

This way, the original charter can still be credited for the chart. But we can rebuild the database.

I'm sure most of us have these CDLCs on our hard drives. I know I'd be happy to upload what I have.

Again, I view customs as an open source project. And sharing them is no different from sharing tabs/g pro files, as people have been doing for many years now.

• Like 1

To prevent this from happening in the future: my suggestion is that there should be a 'terms of service', that by uploading the files to this site, you agree to release them under a certain license which enables people to exactly the thing you describe in the future. I've seen this happening multiple times in open-source projects, it will happen again :)

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)

I miss all those RS1 customs I never got round to trying. Are they all just gone and lost forever now?

I think that if you require charters to sign a 'license agreement' before uploading their work, they might just piss off...

• Like 1

All my customs can be found here :)

(You like your own post? :D)

Really, if it's reasonable and 'standard', lots of people will accept it. People make these things for the community, otherwise they wouldn't share them.

How many RS1 and Smithy-only 2014's were there? A few hundred? Let's say 10% wouldn't be uploaded because of the terms (really, in other communities the percentage is low, the 'others' tend to cluster together at a different place so they are accessible as well, just with a little bit more effort). How many would we have lost because of that, and how many could be preserved and reuploaded to this site?

Another added benefit could be that they could be improved as well.

• Like 1

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)

• Administrator

As can be found in the FAQ: 

6. Why doesn't Customs Forge allow posting CDLC made by other authors?

First and most obvious, we want the original creators to get credit for their work! 
Second and possibly less obvious, Customs Forge is still very new and as such it is important that we attend to the wants and needs of our most essential resource: the content creators! This is our number one priority; after all without the creators there would be no customs! So given this priority and given that some creators have expressly stated that they do not want their customs shared by anyone but themselves, it is in our best interest as a community to have this rule.
Why some custom creators want to have exclusive control of when and where their customs are shared is not really relevant.
So, in summary, in order to keep the content creators happy, charting, and sharing their creations with our community, the admins of Customs Forge have asked us not to share any customs other than our own original content.
If you have a CDLC created by someone else which has not yet been shared on Customs Forge, you are very much encouraged to contact the original author for permission to post their creation! Then, WITH PERMISSION (and you must provide proof!), you are more than welcome to post that custom!
After all, the more customs we can share with the community the better!
  • Like 2

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

it's only common sense, some customs in the process will be lost, but arbitrarily moving customs without creator consent or knowledge is just wrong, eventually lost ones will be recreated, and the database will get bigger than ever.

I am also a photographer and I share my images on flickr, however, finding them used without my permission all over the internet still pisses me off :)

ok technically the CDLC creator is working from a song he didn't write and over which he has no right but, creating the custom is still work right?

• Like 2

it's only common sense, some customs in the process will be lost, but arbitrarily moving customs without creator consent or knowledge is just wrong, eventually lost ones will be recreated, and the database will get bigger than ever.

I am also a photographer and I share my images on flickr, however, finding them used without my permission all over the internet still pisses me off :)

ok technically the CDLC creator is working from a song he didn't write and over which he has no right but, creating the custom is still work right?

Well, sure. I've just spent the last week working on my first custom -- I've put in tons of hours on this, and I'm still not done (because I keep screwing up). And yes, it would piss me off is someone tried to pass off MY work as theirs. On the other hand, I'm doing this because I love this particular song and I want to share it with as many as people as possible. So it would piss me off even more if the work I'm doing were to get lost forever.

So, yes, I can understand how someone would feel a certain amount of 'ownership' over their customs. But this still doesn't mean they own anything. And let's not be naive -- the moment anyone shares their file, the minute it's put up on a database -- it's already too late. A simple torrents search is all anyone needs in order to recognize that.

The only way someone can create a custom and maintain 'ownership' of it is not to share it in the first place. Keep it to yourself. If it's that important to you that this thing is 'yours' and will only be yours, then you should definitely not share it. (You probably should think twice about downloading other people's customs too).

Personally, I'm really proud of the work I've been doing -- screwups and all -- and I'm looking forward to sharing the final product with anyone who wants it. No one can take THAT away from me!

By the way, I believe there were more than 2,500 customs for RS1. That's a lot of great music lost forever. Unless people are willing to restock the pond.

• Like 2

It wont change anything but if people really were worried about credit they could just add a extra second of leading silence and in that second do a vocal file with their name so it flashes their forum name at the start of their work.  Then even if it was shared elsewhere people would still see the creators name.  I doubt people would go through the trouble of editing the file so that doesnt appear.

Personally, I'm really proud of the work I've been doing -- screwups and all -- and I'm looking forward to sharing the final product with anyone who wants it. No one can take THAT away from me!

You contradict yourself - on the one side you want to recycle others work without asking them (recreate it from scratch if you think one is missing or be kind and ask) and now you write how much work you put into a custom and no one can take it away.

What custom are you creating? Please post the song and artist and 2 or 3 other charters with some experience should do it faster than you and publish it before you. Then re-read your posts if it discourages you.

• Like 1

You contradict yourself - on the one side you want to recycle others work without asking them (recreate it from scratch if you think one is missing or be kind and ask) and now you write how much work you put into a custom and no one can take it away.

What custom are you creating? Please post the song and artist and 2 or 3 other charters with some experience should do it faster than you and publish it before you. Then re-read your posts if it discourages you.

Now, now, no need to get nasty.

I'm not contradicting myself at all. I am not suggesting anyone recycle anything -- I'm saying the ORIGINAL files should be made available to everyone. No one's trying to steal anything from anyone.

But there used to be more than 2,500 customs for RS1. And most of them have disappeared now because some people threw a hissy fit. This makes no sense to me. (Especially since, if you know where to look, many of those files are still available anyway. See: the internet.)

As for how long it's taking me to create my first custom. It doesn't look like you've ever done this. And a lot of charters just use GPro files -- I'm charting by ear. Give it a shot and then get back to me.

I'm not getting nasty - you're insisting that only your view is the correct one :)

If you ask the contributors which are not yet here I'm sure you'll get a link to download a custom.

What you write about disappearance of the customs as a "hissy fit" of *some* people is wrong - it was not a group taking the site down, it was one person. But you're not the only one thinking it were mistakes by a group.

The fact that the rocksmith 1 customs links will be down is like a evolution and for most there's a new 2014 version.

About your guess that I never created a custom - you're right. It was not one, it were about 50.

And I've to confess that I'm one of the inferior charters working with a guitar pro file with some minor corrections.

Marty- You do understand that those customs aren't yours to share, or as you put it, "rescue", right?As soon as you comprehend that, you will realize that your unauthorized movement at hand is moot.

No, what makes it moot on this site is that the rules specifically forbid posting other people's customs. But don't be fooled -- these customs are out there anyway. I know of at least one site that has pretty much every single RS1 custom ever made.

All I'm suggesting is that the should be a way of rescuing the customs -- and by 'rescue' I mean making sure the person who did the work on the file gets the credit he or she deserves.

Why is that a bad thing? I'm sincerely NOT trying to steal anyone's work.

I'm not getting nasty - you're insisting that only your view is the correct one :)

Oh no, please don't get me wrong. I'm merely having a discussion here. Just putting across my point of view, that's all. I recognize a lot of people don't necessarily agree with me. And I can see their point as well.

Anyway, this site's policy is NOT to allow 'rescuing' customs, and I'm fine with that.

Meanwhile, I wish there were decent Guitar Pro files for the songs I want to chart. But there aren't, so I have to do it by ear. Here's hoping the next one goes more quickly!

I know for certain that I do NOT know the names of the charters for a lot of the songs. So that would make that even a bit more complicated. I agree though, all these great projects getting lost is terrible

I like the idea of adding a quick 'credit' as a lyric in the game. Something quick and simple, like: "Tabbed by: X"

Well just for the sake of mentioning (because I disappear every now and then) I am totally fine with someone else posting one of my customs. I should only hope that they would mention me as the author. 

I just found out about smithy so I'll  definitely repost my stuff eventually. 

I was also shocked to see all that work destroyed.  I only have 2012, so it's particularly punishing.

Maybe a compromise would be to allow the old customs back under an author named "rescue".  And any time an original author comments, attribution is returned to them.

I was also shocked to see all that work destroyed.  I only have 2012, so it's particularly punishing.

Maybe a compromise would be to allow the old customs back under an author named "rescue".  And any time an original author comments, attribution is returned to them.

There was just to many customs from smithy's that were in the 2012 version submissions that never made it to 2014. Luckily I got around 40 of them nicely backed up on my game but I had a ton booked to be downloaded later. Now I've lost that opportunity and hell even some good ones from 2014 submissions are gone but its no where near as severe I guess its because for some reason the 2012 version had the most of diverse custom songs, from classical, to regular, to theme songs for movies and games. 

I agree with this idea of putting them back as a rescue. If the authors want to claim it after and then put it down fine. Youtube has been doing this for years now no problem, but there is just to many contributors who have left this community since before the release of 2014 edition will probably never be seen again whose work was on smithy's.

Guys, just do a search on the web, you'll find most of the old DATs. Someone in Korea harvested Xbox versions and posted them to a couple of file hosting sites, you can always unpack those and repack them for the PC.

I agree with this site's policy about members not being allowed to post CDLCs they didn't make themselves.

But there's nothing to stop anyone from creating a legacy database of old DATs.

I managed to archive a few thousand of the 2012 dats, and most of the 2014s from that other site .. i set up a torrent for them all, feel free to pm/rep  me for them.  out of respect for the site admin/owners .. i wont publicly post them here

• Like 3

Great idea to pack everything into a torrent - I hope you did not forget to add the customs created by yourself. Is it for educational purpose to use torrents?

Why does not everybody send his/her work to you and you add it to your torrent? Would be much easier than scrolling through a forum and writing some feedback.

Thx for your customs MVega - I've downloaded all of them and posted them on 6 different forums to spread them around. I'm sure you're ok with it.

Some wrote a disclaimer that the custom is for educational purposes. If you start to create torrents (or is it a private torrent?) where downloading as much as you can is the primary target the "educationl purpose" is a very weak argument. And then you can cry about closing sites down, where the customs came from - it takes many to build a community (which you undermine) and only a few to bring it down. Before the run started I've taken all links down (it was the right decision).