Rescuing Customs

MVega

Question

This idea came up in response to another thread.

In my opinion, there should be a method of 'rescuing' CDLCs of charters who have disappeared (for one reason or another). There's no reason why the rest of us shouldn't have the right to continue to play these files.

On the other hand, no one should be allowed to (or wish to) take credit for someone else's work. So is there a way to  upload CDLCs under a "Legacy" heading of some sort?

This way, the original charter can still be credited for the chart. But we can rebuild the database.

I'm sure most of us have these CDLCs on our hard drives. I know I'd be happy to upload what I have.

Again, I view customs as an open source project. And sharing them is no different from sharing tabs/g pro files, as people have been doing for many years now.

• Like 1

I have the right to my opinion. No need to get nasty.

I've not raised it to question. The people in the other forums like your customs - you indirectly agree that it's ok to pack all customs in a torrent and make a file sharing of it. Then I don't see a reason why it would not be in your interest if somebody takes your work and publish it whereever he likes. I see no difference and it was your idea to rescue customs :)

I'd just have rescued yours in case you decide to leave or the forum closes if sharing customs becomes the main thing in this scene.

• Administrator

Great idea to pack everything into a torrent - I hope you did not forget to add the customs created by yourself. Is it for educational purpose to use torrents?

Why does not everybody send his/her work to you and you add it to your torrent? Would be much easier than scrolling through a forum and writing some feedback.

Because charters don't want that. We want to get feedback. And I do hope you are not posting every custom on other forums. I post them here and I want them to stay here.

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

Because charters don't want that. We want to get feedback. And I do hope you are not posting every custom on other forums. I post them here and I want them to stay here.

I'm not posting customs from others anywhere else - only my own ones ;)

MVega should stop to impose different standards on his and others work - like said, contradicting himself. And users in general should not pack everything into a torrent or one big archive to share. As you wrote, you want them to stay here - as you can read in post #22 "out of respect for the site admin/owners" - where's the respect to the contributor who may not want that his work is shared in a big file sharing torrent? Maybe you've read over this post.

All the more reason to bring the archive back to CustomsForge, in a specific 'abandoned' database.  

As I wrote before, this would bring them back from the dead, keep CustomsForge the go-to place, and importantly, allow any charter to reclaim their lost work and either bring it back to life, or mark it as not-to-be.

People gravitate to what is easiest.  If we can make CustomsForge easier and better than random torrents from the internet, people will use this, and it's better for everyone.

PS: (torrents != piracy)  torrents are a perfectly legitimate tool, like HTTP, don't get confused.

• Like 1

I have the right to my opinion. No need to get nasty.

I've not raised it to question. The people in the other forums like your customs - you indirectly agree that it's ok to pack all customs in a torrent and make a file sharing of it. Then I don't see a reason why it would not be in your interest if somebody takes your work and publish it whereever he likes. I see no difference and it was your idea to rescue customs :)

I'd just have rescued yours in case you decide to leave or the forum closes if sharing customs becomes the main thing in this scene.

Look, if it's true you've gone ahead and posted my customs elsewhere, then you're worse than the people you're complaining about. Because you pretend you don't approve of it - and yet you've gone ahead and done it anyway.

Basically, you've destroyed any integrity you might have had in this conversation.

This site doesn't allow us to post other people's customs as our own. I can respect this and I agree with it. I hope you've at least had the decency not to post my customs under your name?

I realize you believe you think you can teach me a lesson. You're not. You're telling me a whole lot about yourself though.

Like I've said before, the customs we post to this or any other database will ALREADY be taken and shared elsewhere. There's nothing we can do to control this. In other words, there will always be people like yourself.

MartyV - you're asking me about my age - you should read the previous post.

I'm not posting your or anybody elses customs - but you have different standards and shouldn't the standards you impose to your work be valid for everybody else?

The people who created customs on anvil are active in other forums and you want to recycle their work. Others will step in and recreate it from scratch or some may return, but if you start to upload their customs or pack them in torrents they may create new ones but won't share.

I know that not every torrent is piracy - but with distributing customs like that you become a file sharing and not a community. If record labels will find that you start a file sharing then some may not ignore it.

MartyV - you're asking me about my age - you should read the previous post.

I'm not posting your or anybody elses customs - but you have different standards and shouldn't the standards you impose to your work be valid for everybody else?

The people who created customs on anvil are active in other forums and you want to recycle their work. Others will step in and recreate it from scratch or some may return, but if you start to upload their customs or pack them in torrents they may create new ones but won't share.

I know that not every torrent is piracy - but with distributing customs like that you become a file sharing and not a community. If record labels will find that you start a file sharing then some may not ignore it.

You're not making much sense. First you say you are posting my customs to other forums, now you're say you're not.

I'm not recycling anyone's work, I don't post other people's customs, I don't pack other people's work as torrents (I haven't used bittorrent in years anyway) and I certainly don't threaten others about posting their work.

Getting upset over this is a waste of energy. It's certainly not going to stop people from doing what they want with your customs. The only way to be certain your customs will not spread across the internet is to share them with no one.

You're not making much sense. First you say you are posting my customs to other forums, now you're say you're not.

It's called 'sarcasm'. He disagrees with your idea, and tries to show you what would happen if your idea would take effect: random people, such as papillon, would most likely just take an innocent contributor's, such as yours, CDLCs and post them away in torrent sites or similar ones without the original contributor's approval.

You all said enough to decide what you wish to do with all those unpublished RS1 cdlc... due to forum rules we allow RS1 conversions with credit given to RS1 co-author we also allow doubletriplequadrapentaetc-posts of the same song if its done in alternate way.(then you free from giving credits to another author). 

It's called 'sarcasm'. He disagrees with your idea, and tries to show you what would happen if your idea would take effect: random people, such as papillon, would most likely just take an innocent contributor's, such as yours, CDLCs and post them away in torrent sites or similar ones without the original contributor's approval.

I understand sarcasm quite well. I've been trying to teach him about 'irony.'

The irony is that you want to share others' work without their consent, but have a problem with another person doing the same with yours.

If you dig the hole any deeper, the dirt will begin to cave in on you. :wink:

...and fwiw, sarcasm IS a form of irony. :)

ok, the customs obviously once released are spread all over the web, fine, but at the end of the day, what is it good for?

I mean, what does anyone can do with a torrent of 500 customs if he doesn't know how to use them?

That itself is a good reason to have them centralized in an extensive forum like this one where you can interact with the community and maybe even start doing your own customs.

This forum is the best home for the customs, because they come with dedicated people able to educate and help rocksmith players.

Customs are not much without the community

• Like 1

The irony is that you want to share others' work without their consent, but have a problem with another person doing the same with yours.

If you dig the hole any deeper, the dirt will begin to cave in on you. :wink:

...and fwiw, sarcasm IS a form of irony. :)

You haven't been paying attention. I'm not saying any of this. You're just playing dog-pile on the rabbit, aren't you? You ought to watch that cartoon. Doesn't work out so well for the dogs.

The irony is people whining about our 'work' when nearly all CDLCs are created from guitarpro files tabbed by someone else using unlicensed copies of of songs written and composed by other people and owned by major corporations to be used with software created by several different people in order to circumvent the restrictions of a game developed by one company and distributed by another company through yet another company's platform into devices developed by other companies and manufactured by yet more companies in countries where 'ownership' is the least of the workers' worries.

The other irony is that this kid doesn't even seem to have made any customs. Or he's not sharing them to the database, anyway.

At least I'm tabbing most of my cdlcs by ear. FWIW. And I'm not whining.

ok, the customs obviously once released are spread all over the web, fine, but at the end of the day, what is it good for?

I mean, what does anyone can do with a torrent of 500 customs if he doesn't know how to use them?

That itself is a good reason to have them centralized in an extensive forum like this one where you can interact with the community and maybe even start doing your own customs.

This forum is the best home for the customs, because they come with dedicated people able to educate and help rocksmith players.

Customs are not much without the community

I definitely agree with this part. I think Ubisoft is missing a big opportunity by not officially sanctioning customs creation. Many games support mods after all, and it's part of what keeps these games going for years -- and attracting new customers.

I can imagine someone hesitating about buying Rocksmtih 2014 because of the song list -- unless you're a metalhead or interested in obscure music by minor bands, the official selection is pretty poor (RS2012 seems a lot more diverse). And with very few exceptions, the official DLC have been uninteresting (to me).

But I can see that same person buying Rocksmith anyway, because they know there's lots of customs of available.

And more than that, knowing that customs aren't all that difficult to create. There are tons of songs I've always wanted to play, which, for one reason or another, I was never able to learn. Now, with Rocksmith and the support of this forum, I'm able to chart them, play them, and share them for anyone else to enjoy.

• Administrator

Ubisoft won't support custom for one simple reason, copyright content. You actually have to possessed the right of the music you used. It will be a legal messe for Ubisoft to manage all the customs and assuring that none of them go against intellectual propriety. Of course they could make an open place and delete upon legal action but how do you want to make a deal with artist and label if most of their songs are already available in a non-legal way that you support. No one will make a deal with ubisoft to get their songs on the game if they think that Ubisoft help copyright infrigement by supporting customs.

Ubisoft allow customs to exist because taking action will be useless and costly for a minimal result, but they can't support custom without killing all their business opportunities.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

They can allow users create some artwork like inlays or RS interface themes etc.  

Yep, that would be cool, allowing users can modify the environment, fix the games, bring back the old venues and concert experience.

A good point that Ubisoft can't promote the development of customs themselves. Although maybe they (and the record companies) should be looking at this as a platform similar to youtube. I know I've bought a few albums because of Rocksmith already.

Do you guys realise discussions like this one may be the reason some of the charters of this songs you miss are reluctant to post again the customs they did?

Just think about it.

Even if a custom charter's work is based on someone else's tab of someone else's song, it doesn't mean he/she didn't invest a lot of his/her free time to make something other people can enjoy. And don't forget charters are sharing their customs with all the people FOR FREE. I think you should spread the red carpet for them instead of tripping them up because it's easier to keep a custom for you and your friends than sharing it in a place where you don't know what's gonna happen with your work.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 3