CPU overheating when playing RS

Mac66

Question

My CPU has begun (again) to overheat when I am playing RS. I have had this problem before, but I think it was before the Crashers and Jammers were discovered but I cannot remember exactly when it was occurring previously.  I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem and if you have determined what is causing it. 

21 answers to this question

Overheat may occur, when a - lets say - not up to date cpu has several apps running. 

Specially malware can cause this, I've assisted some people in that way.

It's just incredible the shit they install without their knowledge, specially these free browser toolbars don't do you any good.

Check your taskbar and processes.

I use Ccleaner and Spybot to keep my PC ...clean.

I've stopped 25 processes in the startup-sequence  ;)

To check the heat I use HWinfo64, for some people my rescue came to late,

they had their cpu running constantly on 90° for several days/weeks because of malware running in the background.

The temperature on fast enough PC, the CPU and GPU (Graphic card)  should not rise above 60° at normal environment of 20-22° (correction : my GPU heats up to 80°C, running at full speed with RS running in the background in the song selection page)

Instead of cleaning all the shit in my pc that i gathered, i would rather put up a fresh os if malware and all that shit's causing my cpu to overheat (not that it happened to me). That's just my opinion, because i would have no problem reinstalling the most part and keeping my pc clean tho.

I'm sure it's a even faster option, if the cause is taking too much time and effort to find.

But even if not, just cleaning would do the job, but there would be still some shit left that will slow down your pc. Well there will be always some leftovers tho.

If a hardware component is casuing all this heat try to save it or if the cpu won't cool off. You'll have to buy a new one instead.

I noticed a drop in performance after a couple of minutes of playtime. Took a while to find out my CPU turned very hot, but then I found some software that increases the speed of the fan and now my issues are gone.

I wanted to do a clean install with Windows 10, but at this point I don't even know if that is possible (seems like you can only upgrade it)

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Instead of cleaning all the shit in my pc that i gathered, i would rather put up a fresh os if malware and all that shit's causing my cpu to overheat (not that it happened to me). That's just my opinion, because i would have no problem reinstalling the most part and keeping my pc clean tho.

I'm sure it's a even faster option, if the cause is taking too much time and effort to find.

But even if not, just cleaning would do the job, but there would be still some shit left that will slow down your pc. Well there will be always some leftovers tho.

If a hardware component is casuing all this heat try to save it or if the cpu won't cool off. You'll have to buy a new one instead.

I don't agree : (with my modest 35years experience) 

installing my win8 then upgrading to win8.1 needs at least 3-4 hours,

Cleaning the pc first time, once the right tools installed and running, (takes 1 hour), 

(don't buy these optimizer tools, they do more wrong than right, causing blue screens of death),

takes 10 minutes every 2 weeks.

Unless you know how to do it right, I won't recommend to renew the paste on the CPU,

though it's true that the old paste might have been "cooked" and lost its qualities.

My opinion that is CPU overheat is always a HARDWARE problem. Good setup can't be physicaly overheated. That especially affects notebooks: bad designed Acers are tend to overheat (have now a Samsung one and it doesn't overheat on any load, even when I leave it make calculus with videocard for 5-6 hours). I would propose next steps:

1) Change termal paste and clean a PC from dust. We have in Russia some termal paste with aliminum dust in it, it has a very high heat transfer rate, but it allows a current flow though it, so you need to be accurate when dealing with such a paste. Tips: layer of paste should be as minimal as possible, every paste transfers heat much worse than metall of cooler radiator. Layer of paste should be enough to prevent air to stay between CPU and cooler.

2) If it doesn't help, I really recommend buy a new cooler with a big radiator. I have old ZALMAN CNPS9700, and with it is hard to heat a CPU even to 40-50 degrees. Also it is good investment -- with a minimal work with file, it can be easily installed to your next PC, especially when every new CPU heats less due to decrease of techprocess. Tips: always buy a cooler with PWM control of speed (it has a 4-pin connector) or it will always work on the top speed and make you PC sound like a jet, you can also search ebay or local stores for a special regulator that allows add a PWM function to your 3-pin cooler.

• Like 1

Rocksmith 2014 Championship
Leaderboards
Song selection
Class List
Rank

Signature stolen with minimal changes from @MaZtoR :)

@@TomSawyer2112 well i didn't say to upgrade, just reinstall the same os tho. It takes time, but it depends on how long the specific os has been sitting there without a refresh. If his pc was running like 4 years on the same os with installing/deinstalling programs and so on, without doing anything or even worse getting stacks of malware, then refreshing your os would take maybe few hours, but would solve the problem. If his os was sitting 4 years installing/deinstalling programs but have been taken care of then sure get ccleaner started and get some little dust off. There shouldn't be any heavy duty non removal stuff.

Well depends on the situations [emoji53]

@@TrbInTrbIn, I agree, a cpu running at 99% for hours at 40° environment temperature will not heat if well cooled. 

but sometimes there isn't much choice on some laptops, 

on a PC, you can even install a water cool system. :lol:

@@DevStereo, 4 years a same system ? Well that was definitely before win 8   :lol:

@@TomSawyer2112 well here comes a shocking fact, i used my old pc 7 years straight without refreshing my OS. And here comes the best part. My OS was actually Win Vista Home 32 bit... It still runs tho, even in his big messy dusty condition. Didn't even care about my security or any anti vir tho. Still the hardware is running like there is no tommorow, a true tortured survivor [emoji16] [emoji106]

Well my main pc is a beauty. Shining like a diamond in a goats ass. No dust has even touched the hardware. I'm cleaning every week completely and every second day around the case.

Here is my beauty [emoji7] .

Case:

FRACTAL Design Define R5 Black, Window

Case-Fans:

8x FRACTAL Design FD Silent Series R2 140mm

Power Supplie:

Be quiet! Straight Power 10 700Watt 80 Plus Gold

Motherboard:

ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer

CPU:

Intel Core i7-5820K, 6x 3,30 GHz (OC to 4.00 GHz enough for me)

CPU Water Cooling:

Cooler Master Seidon 120V Rev.2

Ram:

G.Skill RipJaws 4 Red DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400

GPU:

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC, 8GB DDR5

SSD:

2x Kingston Hyper X 3K, 240GB, 2,5", SATA 6Gb/s (Raid 0)

HDD:

2x Western Digital 4TB, SATA 6Gb/s (Raid 1)

Bought it January 2015

There are still some things i want to upgrade tho

Like a better Water Cooling, More Ram, a second Sapphire CrossFire or exchanging for a "SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury", and more Space would be awesome.

Running on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit at the moment.

Here is my beauty [emoji7] .

Case:

FRACTAL Design Define R5 Black, Window

Case-Fans:

8x FRACTAL Design FD Silent Series R2 140mm

Power Supplie:

Be quiet! Straight Power 10 700Watt 80 Plus Gold

Motherboard:

ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer

CPU:

Intel Core i7-5820K, 6x 3,30 GHz (OC to 4.00 GHz enough for me)

CPU Water Cooling:

Cooler Master Seidon 120V Rev.2

Ram:

G.Skill RipJaws 4 Red DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400

GPU:

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC, 8GB DDR5

SSD:

2x Kingston Hyper X 3K, 240GB, 2,5", SATA 6Gb/s (Raid 0)

HDD:

2x Western Digital 4TB, SATA 6Gb/s (Raid 1)

Bought it January 2015

There are still some things i want to upgrade tho

Like a better Water Cooling, More Ram, a second Sapphire CrossFire or exchanging for a "SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury", and more Space would be awesome.

Running on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit at the moment.

Why you have bought two SSD instead of one with 500GB?

Leaderboards
Song selection
Class List
Rank

@@TrbInTrbIn simply because i don't need much space, have only my os running on ssd, and using raid 1 for rendering and stuff. And the one thing probably why i didn't have bought two 500gb or even two 1tb was because i had no money in my pocket anymore. I had only € 3.000 not only fo my pc but also keyvoard, mouse, headset, display, external hdd and stuff. Now i could upgrade my pc again, but i'll wait till the prices go down a bit.

Maybe i'll do a raid 10 or some more raid 1's for rendering and i'm waiting for win 10 to get ready for more performance improvement and so on. So my capacity to buy new stuff is right, just have to wait for few things.

@@TrbInTrbIn simply because i don't need much space, have only my os running on ssd, and using raid 1 for rendering and stuff. And the one thing probably why i didn't have bought two 500gb or even two 1tb was because i had no money in my pocket anymore. I had only € 3.000 not only fo my pc but also keyvoard, mouse, headset, display, external hdd and stuff. Now i could upgrade my pc again, but i'll wait till the prices go down a bit.

Maybe i'll do a raid 10 or some more raid 1's for rendering and i'm waiting for win 10 to get ready for more performance improvement and so on. So my capacity to buy new stuff is right, just have to wait for few things.

I mean to buy one 500 Gb SSD instead of two by 240...

Leaderboards
Song selection
Class List
Rank

I can pound my CPU at 100% for hours on any system I have. If it is overheating it is a hardware issue, either dirt or bad paste. It's that simple. I'm not saying malware won't cause issues. But a fresh Windows install is not going to fix a temperature problem. If the new fan controller fixed it then it's an airflow issue.

• Like 1

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

@@TrbInTrbIn, I agree, a cpu running at 99% for hours at 40° environment temperature will not heat if well cooled. 

but sometimes there isn't much choice on some laptops, 

on a PC, you can even install a water cool system. :lol:

@@DevStereo, 4 years a same system ? Well that was definitely before win 8   :lol:

8 years on my desktop. Just GPU upgrades, and SSD upgrade. And obviously OS.

• Like 1

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

You may test that if Rocksmith runs in the background, in a menu, it doesn't remain idle, it happens to require lot of CPU and GPU power for no apparent reason. 

if you have more of bad programmed software/tools running in the background requesting full power,i.e. toolbars in a browser, then you are not only rising your electricity bill, but also heating up the stuff in your PC will shorten it's life, because the electronic parts will extend and retract causing one day sooner than it should, a broken link in the electronic circuit, it can be in a chip, or the motherboard, a resistance or whatever.

Just browsing, writing, doesn't require more than 5% of GPU and CPU power of an I7. 200w or 20w make a difference.

Keep an eye on your machine with HWINFO.