How to add a Metronome to any song [Metronome Bonus Arrangement]

Azrael

This tutorial will show you how to add an automatically generated metronome sound to any CDLC of your choice. It works really fast and enables you to play a song completely solo. Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound!
Don't know what this means? Check out one of these customs, they have been updated with metronome bonus arrangements!

Contents:

• Introduction
  • How to set up the metronome
  • How to use the metronome
  • Known issues
  • How to make sure your beat map is prepared for the metronome
  • How to add metronome events directly in EOF
  • FAQ
  • Appendix: Add the metronome in the xml manually

1. Introduction:

Hi everyone,
with the help of @@Alex360 in this thread I was able to achieve something I had dreamed about for a longer time. I don't know if others are aware of this great possibilty, so I'm sharing my new knowledge with everone here.

Rocksmith teaches us a lot of things and is an awesome tool for learning guitar. But it also tricks us into believing we play and sound better than we actually do. When you play a song that you feel comfortable with inside Rocksmith on your own for the first time, you will most likely realize that you suck at playing! You can never find out how good you really sound if you just play with the original music. Now of course the ultimate solution is playing a multitrack CDLC, but those are rare (Don't know what that is? - Then search for the word 'multitrack'). Another option is to play with a real amp in parallel, but not everyone has that option. The next one is to just lower or even mute the original music in the mixer. But from my experience it is difficult to keep up the tempo and stick to the beat when you have no music at all... this is a frustrating experience. Now what is the solution that musicians have used since like forever? Correct: The metronome! Professional musicians still use them for training and recording to get the best results.

Rocksmith has a metronome available. It counts you in when you play an offical song. But Rocksmith lacked the feature to accompany you with a metronome through the whole song - until now!
I hope you are as exited as I am! I wish for the next search engine to include filters for "multitracks" and "metronome bonus track".

2. How to set up the metronome:
With the recent (beta) version of the Custom Song Creator Toolkit, it is possible to generate the metronome bonus tracks automatically, with just one click! Special thanks to Alex once more :D

In the "Edit Arrangement" window, just tick the box "Create Metronome Bonus Arrangements" in the bottom of the window. Then generate the custom as normal, you are done!

metronome_toolkit.jpg

If you are a charter and plan to update your Custom after you have tested your work, please consider tagging your search entry with the tag "Metronome Bonus Arrangement". This will help others find your CDLC.

3. How to use the metronome:

You will find the Metronome ingame under the "Bonus Arrangements" of each path. At default mixer settings, you will hear both the original music and the metronome. If you want to hear nothing but the metronome, you will have to mute the regular music in the mixer. Also make the "Sound Effects" at least as loud as your guitar.

4. Known issues:

• If you play a song, hit ESC and then "restart song", the metronome will be gone. It happens in official content, too. Just exit the song and start it again!
  • The metronome will only work poorly if the CDLC beat map is not well done. Sadly, this is the case with lots of customs... see the next section

5. How to make sure your beat map is prepared for the metronome

example_beatmap.png

This means:

• The bars of the chart must be in in sync with the bars in the music. Every bar has a first beat, and the drummer normally plays that beat a little bit louder, so listen!
  • The very first note (if it is on the very first beat, not some sort of off-beat) must be on the beginning of a bar, ideally the second one. In the picture you see the yellow number "2" indicating the bar counter.
  • One complete bar (in this case four beats) should be placed before the first note. This is where Rocksmith counts you in!
  • The rest of the leading silence must not be filled with beats! (!!!) In the past, EOF asked you: 'The first beat marker is not positioned at 0 seconds [...] correct this condition with "Reset offset to zero"?' Luckily we could get rid of this prompt, because it always ruined the sync of the bars.

If you follow all these rules, the metronome should work very well. Your CDLC will also look better ingame, because the beats and bars are visible there, as well.
The Rocksmith 2014 Tab Converter will benefit from this, too and deliver better results!

6. How to add metronome events directly in EOF

You don't want to mess with the xml file? You don't like the fact that you have to repeat the editing of the xml file after each change you did in EOF?
Well, there is a partial solution for that - I was informed that we can place metronome events directly in EOF, and it's as easy as it gets:

• Click on a beat
  • Hit "Shift + E"
  • Select the event you want to place. In our case, either B0 or B1

Of course this only makes sense for placing the metronome ticks in the count-in bar (Bar #1 in the picture above): Select event "B0" for the first beat and "B1" for the other three beats.
Now those events are written to the xml by EOF and we have the same effect as we know it from official DLC :)
I still suggest using the procedure described in the paragraph #2 to create the separate metronome bonus arrangement xml. Don't manually add events throughout the song in EOF, that doesn't make sense!

7. FAQ

Is it possible to change the offbeat if you've reset it to zero?

Yes, and it's very easy!

In EOF, under "Beat" click on "Push Offset Up". Repeat as often as necessary, until it looks like my picture above.
Make sure to set the correct "Time Signature" under "Beat", too. Otherwise the yellow numbers couting the bars will not show up, because Rocksmith will not know which the first beat of every bar is.
Your notes will not move, so don't be afraid that you might break your chart.

How can I add the count-in ticks to a finished CLDC where the beatmap starts with the first note?

You have to add a full measure before the first note. The process is the same as above, except now you have to click "Push Offset Back". In a 4/4 time signature, you have to click it four times. Then you can add the count-in events to those beats. This will not alter your existing beats and notes, it only adds additional beats in the beginning.

How do I find CDLCs that already have the metronome enabled?

Do a search for the tag "Metronome Bonus Arrangement" (or just click here).
Unfortunately, tags cannot be found in the CDLC search, but the Forum search will find them - that's the link above.

I've done everything correctly, but I cannot hear the metronome ingame! WTF?

Make sure your volume settings are correct. The metronome is part of the "Sound Effects" volume in the mixer, so make that as loud as your guitar/bass. (Also: Check if you can hear the count-in metronome in official songs)

--------------------------

8. Appendix: Add the metronome in the xml manually

This is my original description, necessary before it was possible to use the Toolkit with one click. If you want to know what the Toolkit does automatically, read this:

Now this took long to write, maybe even to read, but it can be done in less than 2 minutes!

• Our goal is to create a bonus arrangement with the metronome that we add to the existing CDLC, so you can just select it ingame.
  • To achieve that, we have to manipulate the .xml file of the arrangement (lead, rhythm, bass or all of them).
  • First, you need to open the Rocksmith Custom Toolkit (Download)
  • Click "Import Package" and choose the CDLC and a destination where the files are unpacked
  • Open the folder "EOF" in the destination. Here you will find the xml files, e.g. 'yoursong_lead.xml'
  • Copy and rename the arrangement of your choice, e.g. to 'yoursong_lead_metronome.xml'.
  • Open the new file in an editor of your choice and search for the following part: <ebeats>. This contains the time stamps of all the beats in your song. There will be lots of entries and they look like the following example:
<ebeats count="542">
    <ebeat time="2.916" measure="1"/>
    <ebeat time="3.306" measure="-1"/>
    <ebeat time="3.696" measure="-1"/>
    <ebeat time="4.086" measure="-1"/>
    <ebeat time="4.476" measure="2"/>
    <ebeat time="4.866" measure="-1"/>
    <ebeat time="5.257" measure="-1"/>
    <ebeat time="5.647" measure="-1"/>
    <ebeat time="6.037" measure="3"/>
    ... and so on ...
</ebeats>

8. Now copy this complete passage to a new, temporary file. We will use the time stamps to fill in the command to play the metronome sound.
9. Use the search and replace function of your editor to replace the following strings. Use this specific order.
At least in Notepad++ the . is used as a "variable": . is any one character, .. is two characters and so on. Your measure numbers will go above 100 so we need to replace ... , too:

ebeat               ->  event
measure="-1"        ->  code="B1"
measure="."         ->  code="B0"
measure=".."        ->  code="B0"
measure="..."       ->  code="B0"

9. Now the example from above should look like this:

<events count="542">
    <event time="2.916" code="B0"/>
    <event time="3.306" code="B1"/>
    <event time="3.696" code="B1"/>
    <event time="4.086" code="B1"/>
    <event time="4.476" code="B0"/>
    <event time="4.866" code="B1"/>
    <event time="5.257" code="B1"/>
    <event time="5.647" code="B1"/>
    <event time="6.037" code="B0"/>
    ... and so on ...
</events>

"Event code B0" plays the tick that marks the first beat of the bar. It has a sligtly different sound than B1, which mark the following three beats in our 4/4 time signature

10. Go back to the file 'yoursong_lead_metronome.xml' and search for the following line. Normaly our CDLC don't have any events.

<events count="0"/>

11. Now replace this line with the metronome events we produced.
12. Save the file.

(12b. Bonus trick: If you've got the idea now, you can also add the count-in ticks to the regular xml (Like we know it from offical content). Simply just use the first block of B0, B1, B1, B1.)

13. Go back to the Toolkit and under "Arrangements" click "Add"
14. Select the file 'yoursong_lead_metronome.xml'
15. Important: Now tick the box "Bonus Arrangement
16. In the same window under "Tone selector" make sure the correct tones are set. Open up the the original arrangement configuration for comparison.
17. This should be it! Hit "ok" and then "Generate" in the main window.
18. Copy the new psarc file into your dlc folder and don't forget to delete the old one.
19. Congratulations, you are done!
--------------------------

Thanks for reading my first tutorial. I hope you will like and use this feature. I also hope more charters will care more for their beat maps :)
As always, please leave feedback! And check out my CDLCs ;-)

• Like 9

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Yes, and it' very easy!

In EOF, under "Beat" click on "Push Offset Up". Repeat as often as necessary, until it looks like my picture above.

Make sure to set the correct "Time Signature" under "Beat", too. Otherwise the yellow numbers couting the bars will not show up, because Rocksmith will not know which the first beat of every bar is.

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Yes, and it' very easy!

I tried that last night and it pushed the offbeat to halfway through the song. Though, I probably didnt have the time signature set under beats. When you set it under beats, what should it be set as if you have multiple time signatures in the song?

Depending on the length of your leading silence a couple of pushs should be enough.

If you give me a link to your custom I will have a look at it.

About multiple time signatures:

You just add a time signature change at every beat where a change occurs. It is then valid until the next change is found.

Depending on the length of your leading silence a couple of pushs should be enough.

If you give me a link to your custom I will have a look at it.

About multiple time signatures:

You just add a time signature change at every beat where a change occurs. It is then valid until the next change is found.

Okay cool, thanks! I should be setthen since it imported the time signatures from GP.

Okay cool, thanks! I should be setthen since it imported the time signatures from GP.

Alright, good to hear! Feel free to contact me if you still have any trouble.

--

To all charters: I suggest we all tag our Metronome-enabled CDLCs with the tag "Metronome Bonus Arrangement" so that they are easier to find :-)

• Like 1

I added the paragraph "5. How to add metronome events directly in EOF" to the tutorial.

Use it for manually placing the count-in ticks in the bar before your instrument starts ;)

Then your regular arrangements will have the same metronome as the official songs!

Just added this to one of my FCPREMIX custom and I think it's working well! Appropriate settings in-game for volume are to turn your guitar volume to 100, the music volume to 0 or maybe about 5 -10 if you really want, but the point is to play on your own! And the metronome seems to be attached to the Sound Effects volume, so turn that up. I was confused for a minute because I wasn't hearing the metronome and didn't realize I had my sound effects turned down.

• Like 1

Sup, guys, Just pushed update with support to generate metronome arrangements, look for checkbox in left lower corner in arrangement form. Please report any bugs you'll find :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Now that DD works with Alex's automated metronome arrangements, I have edited the tutorial accordingly!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Azrael,

I have lots of respect for you for this initiative and excellent tutorial! Thank-you.

I am in the final phases of completing a CDLC, MacGyver theme song, and now that I have read your tutorial I am meaning to add Metronome bonus arrangements.

Comments and Questions:

1. Just to make sure I understood your tutorial. I mistakenly assumed that adding metronome automatically took away music volume, forcing one to play the notes coming down the note highway unassisted by the music, but for this to work one must go in the music mixer and set music volume to zero (while ensuring the sound effects are not zero in order to hear the metronome). Was this the intention? I like it like this because one can choose to keep the music faintly playing in the background as a bit of a crutch.

2. Good news my CDLC beginning looks a bit different than your ideal beginning image in the tutorial and it seems to have worked nonetheless. Here's a pic of my beginning (i.e. smaller black space before bar 1 and 2 bars of silence with first note in bar 3).

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Metronome%20Questions%20-%2009March2015/Beginning%20of%20my%20MacGyver%20song_zpssvhb6vyx.png

2. I was wondering if there was any way for the game's arrangement selection screen to be customized such that the Bonus arrangements have custom names, as I am worried that including metronome arrangements (labelled in my screen shot below as "Bonus Arrangments") will ultimately inadvertently divert people away from seeing the 2nd Lead and Bonus Lead Arrangements (labelled as Alternate Lead) which I would really like them to try since they are vastly different yet hopefully appealing variants I have created.

So as the image below I'd ideally have the following:

Metal Lead ..........instead of "Lead" --> But since this will be standard I guess this one can (perhaps must) be called "Lead"

Acoustic Lead ......instead of " Alternate Lead"

Finger-style Lead .. instead of " Alternate Lead"

Metal Lead Metronome (or at least Lead Metronome)...... instead of "Bonus Lead"

Acoustic Lead Metronome ...... instead of "Bonus Lead"

Finger-style Lead Metronome...... instead of "Bonus Lead"

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Metronome%20Questions%20-%2009March2015/Bonus%20Arrangements%20Screenshot_zpshja5yjlw.png

In case you want to test things out, here is a yet unfinished but almost ready to submit CDLC of the MacGyver theme song I've been working on (Sorted in Learn A Song under the letter M). It has preliminary incorrect tones and needs a slight bit more polish.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p8evp5a9zg157b3/RandyEdelman_MacGyverTheme_vBeta030915_v2_Added_DDC_and_Metronome_p.psarc

Once again, great work Azrael and Alex360.

Cheers!

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

@@Berneer

thanks for your kind words, but most of the thanks should go to @@Alex360, since he did all the actual work :D

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

1. What you are describing is "intentional" in the way that it is not possible for us to mute the music automatically. I have added a section "How to use the metronome" to point this out more clearly. You could of course create a seperate CDLC where the .wem file is already nothing but silence and where the metronome is in the normal arrangement, but that would create lots of dublicates in the song list... And as you said, the flexibilty with the volume is a nice thing. I must admit though that I hate it to work my way through the menus to the mixer and back, so I have written a macro that presses all those buttons automatically :)
  2. Yes, your picture will work just fine! The important part is that the bars are in sync with the music. Apart from that, you can have as many empty bars in the leading silence as you want. I like to only use one empty bar though and place count-in ticks there as described in section 6. They will be present in the regular version as well.
  3. I would love to be able to rename the labels of the various bonus arrangements individually, too! But I guess this would require modding the game itself?

But can you tell me how you achieved the label "Alternate Lead" in your picture? I only get the label "Bonus Lead" whenever I create additional bonus arrangements! Maybe there are more labels included in the game that we don't know about yet?

Regards

• Like 1

@@Alex360

Nice, once more learned something new! I always assumed that I would have to tick the "bonus arrangement" box for every arrangement that is not the default one.

Are there more labels than "Bonus Lead" and "Alternate Lead" ?

• 1 month later...

So for a short 3min. song of 100 bars  of a 4/4 time signature, I thought I have to click the 400 beats and 400 times shift+E and select B0 or B1 ... :lol:

It's the option in the Toolkit that does this, right ?

So for a short 3min. song of 100 bars  of a 4/4 time signature, I thought I have to click the 400 beats and 400 times shift+E and select B0 or B1 ... :lol:

It's the option in the Toolkit that does this, right ?

Yes, the Toolkit option presented in the screenshot under section "2. How to set up the metronome" does exactly that!

Thanks, my first Metronome cDLC is out, it's tagged "Metronome Bonus Arrangement".

Clicking the Metronome button doesn't automatically add an arrangement.

Actually the selected arrangement in the Toolkit gets affected by Metronome beats,

which means don't do it on the main arrangement

@@TomSawyer2112

I'm not sure I understand correctly what you mean. Here is how the tickbox is supposed to work:

The selected arrangement is not changed at all. Instead, a "bonus arrangement" is created in the same path that is a copy of the original arrangement, but with metronome ticks activated.

This means you are supposed to "do it on the main arrangement"!

E.g. you have Lead, Rhythm and Bass. You enable the metronome bonus arrangement on all of those. Then ingame those three paths will still be available, but in each of them you can find a bonus arrangement with the metronome enabled.

Does it not work for you this way? Or don't you like it that it works this way?

This is what I experienced.

I set metronome on the main lead, and in RS14, the lead was crossed out, but I could select it, and use the bonus lead.

It had metronome. 

Then I went back to the Toolkit, bonus arrangement was selected, I'm sure I did not select it. 

I unselected it.

Then I had the Metronome ticking in the main arrangement in RS.

I always have a bonus arrangement in my cDLC, where I place the DD, but I cannot remember having 2 Bonus arrangements.

When I generate the cDLC lately, I got an error on first try, concerning the DD...xml.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/3caa/2meci561lnb72xmzg.jpg

I don't have any folder c:\projects

At this moment, all arrangements with metronome (main or bonus) got the flag "Bonus arrangement" set,

which by the way is not necessary, because non-bonus additional arrangements are named 

Alternate arr. in RS14 Bonus section

I reproduced the same results with another cDLC.

I can't see a metronome xml file produced.

I now use my bonus arrangement as DD and Metronome.

I give you feedback of my next trials ;)

Edited by TomSawyer2112

Noticed this latest conversation. I just released my MacGyver Theme DLC yesterday with each arrangement offering a Bonus Metronome Arrangement and wanted to report that it worked for me exactly as it was intended to by Azrael.

Not sure I fully understand you issue TomSawyer. I do think the Bonus Label is necessary because once you are playing a Bonus arrangement, and you want to switch back to the Main arrangement you need to see it labelled as Lead, say, and not Bonus Lead.

I sometimes get an arrangement appearing as crossed out but it works anyway and the X usually disappears next time I load the song or next time I load the game. Haven't experienced your issue TomSawyer.

I don't know that another XML does get reproduced. I imagine if unpacking a CDLC with a metronome arrangement, that you will see it as an SNG file only. Not sure though.

• Like 1

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.