cd, vinyl, mp3

smirocsmo

Well, that and it's way harder to sort out the stems and seeds than on a cd case,, and impossible on an MP3.

• Like 2

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

Well, the fact is I pretty much never spend time listening to music in the house. So vinyls and CDs are impractical. Plus, if ridiculous audiophiles are to be believed, I'd need to spend twice as much on headphones as I did on my mp3 player to be able to hear even a lossless format, and, well... fuck that.

Also, I'm not as pretentious as the beardy twat in that video.

• Administrator

That's almost impressive how he absolutely misses every point of his argumentation and mixes them with a personal point of view that is completely blind of so many other aspect of each music support.

He doesn't even compare Vinyl to CD on the history/fact aspect on how people buy them and he absolutely doesn't compare the quality of information of each support.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Well, that and it's way harder to sort out the stems and seeds than on a cd case,, and impossible on an MP3.

:lol: :lol: I used sometimes CD cases for coffee cup :lol: but only those bands I did not like :lol:
  • Like 2

I'm all for buying the CD/DVDs or vinyls of bands you really, really like (my Smashing Pumpkins, DMB, The Mars Volta and Hurt CDs are proof of it). But other than that, I don't have the will nor the money (yet) to make a real collection of "hardware" music. That's why I started buying stuff on iTunes and Bandcamp a couple of months ago...

• 3 weeks later...

My brother just bought a record player a couple months ago, and he started collecting some vinyls. We did a side by side comparison of "Lateralus" by tool, comparing it between FLAC and Vinyl, and I can't believe that somehow vinyl just has such a clear sound, you can literally hear everything perfectly. For his birthday I bought him "The Future Sequence II" by Between The Buried And Me, it sounds wonderful!

• Administrator

Did you used the exact same component other than just the FLAC/Vinyl? I don't think so. If you don't use the exact same system and change just the one component you want to test. The comparison is flawed.

Oh and you can apply a vinyl effect on your FLAC/MP3 if you really prefer the vinyl kind of sounds

And the vinyl is way behind the quality of a FLAC.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

This is a debate that has been going on ever since the invention of the CD and mp3's.  But in the end, it's all about personal preferences and how you listen to music.

Vinyl has a layer of warmth and some "pop" that just can't be replicated with CD's and mp3's.  But CD's are more convenient, and mp3's even more.  FLAC vs mp3/any lossy format, all depends on the original source.  And even then, any difference you hear will depend on the equipment you're playing on, and your ears.

When I'm at home listening to music I prefer vinyl and FLAC sourced from vinyl because I have a high-end 7.1 Denon receiver and a Bose surround sound speaker set and subwoofer.  On that system you can actually hear a difference between formats.  Vinyl and FLAC ripped from vinyl are clear and crisp.  They have more body and fill the room more.  To put it simply, I can listen on a lower volume and still get everything from the music.  Mp3's lose a lot of that with the compression and sound a bit hollow and muted.  Yes, the main part of the music, the meat and potatoes so to speak, are audible but you lose a lot of the nuances that are behind the music.  Things like fret mutes, taps, the high end of the snare drum, don't stand out as clearly.  Plug in a good set of headphones, removing the acoustic effects of the room, and you can hear the difference even more clearly.

In the car, mp3's are fine because I have a stock system and low-end speakers.  Everything sounds the same in the car.  Same with listening on my iPhone, because it's the same source playing the music.

But again, it all depends on your ears as well.  My wife doesn't listen to music in the same way that I do, so she doesn't perceive the differences in the same way that I do.

What REALLY winds me up about CDs in shops is the way they sit on the shelves - with the face of the CD facing you. This means that if you're looking for a particular album that you need to search through the whole lot, flicking through them.

This also used to wind up Bill Oddie, who used to be on the telly with The Goodies years ago. He used to DJ on Jazz FM here in the UK in the 90s and mentioned that it annoyed him too. He then told us listeners that he went into HMV the day before, went to the Jazz section and turned every single CD around so that the spines of the CDs were facing you, making it easier to look through them for a specific album, and said he would do exactly the same thing every time he went in there lol.

It was a great show he had but I think he lost his job because he refusedto play the stuff he didn't like on the official playlist that the station got paid to air...and he also used to speak his mind a fair bit too lol. His show was great because he used to dedicate his show every week to a particular instrument or artist. So you had 3 hours of top guitarists, bassists, drummers, singers or individuals. The best show he did was dedicated to the drummer Steve Gadd and I recorded it but lost the tapes because some wanker stole them :(  :angry:

• Administrator

I strongly suggest you start reading this and stop talking bullshit : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a9dTnNVoVNG88iSHGWwTKKsN-zDe0Qv7VM_1yWP_pFQ/edit#

MP3 or Flac or CD are (unless you use a really low bitrate) are in any way better than Vinyl and yes you can modify the sound of an MP3/Flac/CD to sounds like a Vinyl if you prefer this sound but the opposite is impossible, you can't get rid of the imperfection of the vinyl.

And if you are too lazy to go through the whole document :

"Vinyl sounds better than CD"

This statement can be debunked fairly easily since CD (and digital audio in general) is a neutral, accurate medium, i.e. recording analog audio to CD and then playing it back to analog does not result in any audible alterations to the original signal, as shown in the section about "HD" audio. In contrast, older technologies like vinyl do alter the signal. Proponents of vinyl claim that it is precisely these alterations that make the sound better. The section about "better" above explains how weak this argument is.

In the particular example of vinyl vs. CD, the debate is even more pointless since digital audio is able to reproduce vinyl sound, just as CD is able to reproduce any sound with near-perfect accuracy. If artists want to make their CDs sound like vinyls, they only need to record a vinyl and then play it back to a CD. In fact, some artists do precisely that (e.g. some parts of the latest Daft Punk album were produced from analogue tape), and that's absolutely fine when done on the production side, as it represents the artist's intent.

While it is perfectly possible to make a CD sound like vinyl, it is impossible to make a vinyl sound like a CD because of the physical limitations of the medium. This alone makes CD inherently superior to vinyl.

So please not use your personal taste as universal fact, you prefer the vinyl sound, fine, but don't say CD are worse because they are not...

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I like decent sound, but it's not as easy as ranking mediums in order.  It completely depends on the individual piece of music.  I have a lot of albums on vinyl and CD, and I prefer about 80% of the albums on vinyl - some CDs are genuinely better (louder, clearer, more depth and soundstage).

Even some modern mp3s can sound amazing (cause the were recorded/mixed/mastered with iTunes in mind).  I downloaded Pink's Try and Passenger's Let Her Go from iTunes (for my customs) and I was astonished at how nice they sounded.

Listening to music on a decent system is an experience, it uses up leisure time.  I'd like for people to try it before knocking it - but yeah, there are some smug fks who try and ram it down people's throats.

Imagine the feeling of power when driving a fast car, that limitless excitement and as you go faster you realize that you will give in well before the car (or bike) hits top speed...  listening to a good stereo is like that; the music has real power, big speakers physically shifting lots of air in the room, turning that volume knob up is like hitting the gas, you are gonna give in long before the stereo...

Then I plug in my iPod and jump on the bus :)

I actually prefer the sound of an LP to a CD or MP3 myself. Not because the sound quality is better but because of the imperfections like the slight crackle you get when listening to them. Gives it more character imo.  :wub:

Haven't got a record player anymore though.

The guy talking about MP3s in the video wasn't right about me personally and MP3s. When I listen to MP3s on my MP3 player when out and about I always listen to entire albums at a time rather than listen to a couple of tracks here and a couple of tracks there.

Well, i am a vinyl collector, my father too. We have a HUGE collection of CDs and Vinyls. We have a lot from Maiden, Kiss, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Motley Crue, Poison, Scorpions, Anthrax and many MANY more.

And collecting is something really cool. Here in Argentina the vinyls are a bit more expensive than other countries, sometimes we buy vinyls that are used (for a low price) or sometimes we change some vinyls we got that we don't like for others we like.

Also, about the MP3. My father downloads new albums from the bands to listen them first, analyze and see if we buy the album or not. That depends of the band too (my father is like more Old School Heavy Metal and i'm more "Open Mind" and like a lot of genres like Progressive and more)

And yeah, if you want to listen to the record, you need a great equipment. My father got a GREAT music equipment, huge speakers and all that stuff, and obviously, a record player

I want to show you guys one of the expensive stuff we got: This shaped disc from Metallica...Jump In The Fire 

Posted Image

• Like 1

9A7alLl.jpg