Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 70

Mortalo

So I RR'd Life a few times, then gave it a shot in SA.  The score was overly forgiving. Even if the down-tuned strings weren't flopping against the fingerboard, I just can't keep even timing on loooooong strings of eighth notes.  I guess that if the string and fret are correct, and the first and last notes are in time, the rest of the mush between them is good enough tor the decode algorithm.  I do need to work on my streams of 8th notes.  I'll just do in on songs in standard (or less unstandard) tuning.

Take this with a grain of salt but accuracy = 97.61%, longest streak = 142

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198171402403/screenshot/709652207107181191

I've already tuned back to standard to start working on Left Hand's Free

• Like 5

"Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my own way to be free" Leonard Cohen - RIP

Peek inside 2groggy's basement FreeBird Laboratory (not for the faint of heart)

Tobias Bass VI      SG shaped Bass VI     Hollow Acoustic Thunderbird 5     Hollow Archtop Bass VI

Harlequin Hollow Archtop Bass     Hollow Toby Bass VI     Starcaster Bass     A trio of hollow archtops (new)

• Like 7

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer
  • Like 4
 YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/526130521516252867/97980E326A5D8BC743E27D7604FF076303AC6052/

Nearly nailed. Bare in mind, I've been playing all the day f'n long.  :wacko:

• Like 4

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

have tried the left hand's free song. Cool song and fun to play, nice riff.

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150223/i4ief5we.jpg

in rhythm I missed 1 note/chord

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150223/5fq6kucz.jpg

and bass

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150223/najd9pdr.jpg

My ratigns for this song are

Lead 5

Rhythm 4

Bass 6-7

I noticed that some of you have problems with the chords in that song.

there are no fingerpositions shown in this custom, so if you don't know how to manage this two chords take a look at this, that's simply the barres I call the C-type and the E-type, use this fingers:

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150223/jojngf53.png

If you don't know in game they look a bit dizzying without fingerinformation, anyway very common chordforms.

• Like 5
 YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

Update on Advanced Bass:

2015-02-23_103122.jpg

That's after my first playthrough, 84% accuracy.  Second play, I Riff Repeated the first section (majority of the song is 1 riff, which is all contained in the 1st section) at 85% speed until I played it with 0 misses, then increased speed by 5% until I could play it right at 100% speed, at which point I played the song on out.  Altogether, that 2nd try with RR, repeating, and accelerating took me about 10 minutes.

This was 3rd try just after that, full speed but still in LAS.  I'm still a bit clumsy on the riff, so I had a few misses -- but that is a big jump between 1st and 3rd tries, just like I was sorta anticipating.

...However, it kinda brings up a need to readjust my difficulty rating on the song.  I rated it as an 8 before, a "high end advanced" song.  I still think it is a good fit for advanced, but considering the fact that 95% of the song is 1 riff, it really does bring into play a progression where with a little practice a skilled enough player is going to get that 1 riff down and rapidly increase their total accuracy on the song.

By the way I usually think about difficulty ratings, I think that 1 riff is an Advanced riff.  You're playing notes on all the strings, with some quick shifting and string skipping.  In a semi-unusual rhythm pattern.  Up on the "meedly meedly" frets.  No use of techniques like slides, HOPOs, etc., but I feel like the structure of that 1 riff is legitimately a bigger challenge than most stuff in songs that I would peg as Intermediate level.

Factoring all that in, I'd adjust my difficulty rating to 6-7.  My gut still tells me it is a legit advanced, but considering the structural simplicity, a very solid argument can be made for high-end intermediate.

@@NoonyDeloony already has a 100% accuracy on it (congrats!), and I think that will probably prove to be doable by more Advanced participants.  Considering that, pegging the official difficulty at 6 seems prudent, but that's just my take on it.  I'm sure more feedback from Advanced participants will help clear that up, so I'll hereby shut up about it (at least, this song in particular) and let you guys take over!  Keep in mind:

Advanced bass participants - Alt-J is rated 7 for now. It has one section that repeats, it's tough, thus it's 7 for now. Still I want you to give all you've got. I don't want to see anyone holding back because of some "I don't want to level up stuff". We need to see how you can fare against legit 7.

So, I suppose that an honest assessment of how you'd rate the difficulty would help @@Mortalo the most, and speaking for myself will help me figure out how to peg songs that seem like an "edge case" right on the line between two classes, like this one.  Should structural simplicity and lots of repeats be taken into consideration with difficulty?  If so, how much in relation to the difficulty of those repeated bits?  What about songs like Octavarium, with 17-18 minutes of the 20 minute duration being beginner to intermediate difficulty, along with a few spots of melt-your-face, "what the hell just happened" difficulty?

• Like 2

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

6 notes...will do a 100% run on Wednesday...then onto lead

http://s13.postimg.org/md5bt45zb/2015_02_23_00002.jpg

Also, question:

I have a version I made with re-mixed audio and half step higher tuning. Can I post scores from that one or does this version only count? I like how it sounds/plays a half a step higher

If not ill stick to this one, no worries

• Like 6

Many nice scores on all songs :)

@@MilkmanDan , I think comparing Left hand's free and Octavarium is a bit like comparing apples to anthrax. Octavarium, although I can't remember what rating it had, is indeed face melty at a point and it does jump out at you from out of the blue on first play through. There is zero anticipation with Left Hand, it's also a a mere 10% of the duration of Octavarium. Week 64 we had Amy Winehouse"I'm no good". It was beginner. That was a tough beginner track, pretty sure I rated it a high beginner/low intermediate. It was technically more advanced than Left Hand, had more string skipping and a minute fraction less speed though the rhythm of it was very similar to "Left ' ' ". Hand position is the hardest thing about this song imo, it's a tad cramp inducing and it's going to take a while to iron out the curvature it's created in my spine. That said I'm sure finding the sweet spot will be found before the week is out. Need more input from the other advance players.

• Like 2

@@HohyCZ .... I appear to have randomly thanked you, using my phone so typing on here is a bit fiddly plus the like button is right above the "invisible" thank button ... But hey, thanks for being you! :)

• Like 5

Welcome @@Rockfirstlast - great you play with us, too!

@@NoonyDeloony @@MilkmanDan - not having read the whole conversation about adv bass this week yet cause of time issues, still here is my blabla:

The pattern itself is imo a clear 7, nothing less but it (mainly) is only one riff - this makes it in my diff understanding still a legit 7.

I am very happy about this bassline because from the plain diff its imo a 7 but we will be able to get a very high score finally, i´m pretty sure 2 or three of us will have a 100 if there is nuff time and a 100MM could be possible.

I think thats a great example that a 99.5+ in this class might not always have to lead to a levelup.

• Like 2

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

@@MilkmanDan , I think comparing Left hand's free and Octavarium is a bit like comparing apples to anthrax.

{snip}

Ah, that wasn't my intention (comparing Left Hand's Free to Octavarium), but I didn't clarify enough (in spite of rambling on forever).  What I wanted to suggest about both songs is that they both have some mitigating factor that might be important to consider when assigning them a difficulty rating, NOT that they are in the same league difficulty wise.

Left Hand's Free has (in my opinion) a tough riff...  BUT, it is also effectively the only riff, so maybe that structural simplicity could/should be taken into account with regards to the difficulty.

Octavarium has sections that are extremely hard to play...  BUT, they are brief compared to the total duration of the song, and a represent a low(ish) percent of the total notes in the song (10-15%?).  And the remaining portions of the song are realistically playable by players under MC-level skill, so even someone who can't/doesn't do the hard parts at all will still get a semi-respectable overall accuracy.  I figure that is another factor that could/should be taken into account with regards to difficulty also.  Or not, these are pretty open ended questions.

With that clarification to what I meant, I agree with / take interest in the rest of your post.  I think I only played the Amy Winehouse song once, to get a feel for the difficulty.  That 1st and only try was in the mid 99's for me, so I generally wouldn't think of it and Left Hand being similar in difficulty terms, but that's all very subjective.  I should look at / play it again and see if I can understand where you're coming from better.

And hand crampedness is a big part of the challenge for me on Left Hand also -- I was wondering about the feasibility of transcribing it up a string and down into the fret 6-8 range instead of 11-13.  That high note on G would be a challenge, but maybe a fast shift could do it?  That or a 6 string bass with a high C.

• Like 2

Milkman Dan

Welcome @@Rockfirstlast - great you play with us, too!

@@NoonyDeloony @@MilkmanDan - not having read the whole conversation about adv bass this week yet cause of time issues, still here is my blabla:

The pattern itself is imo a clear 7, nothing less but it (mainly) is only one riff - this makes it in my diff understanding still a legit 7.

I am very happy about this bassline because from the plain diff its imo a 7 but we will be able to get a very high score finally, i´m pretty sure 2 or three of us will have a 100 if there is nuff time and a 100MM could be possible.

I think thats a great example that a 99.5+ in this class might not always have to lead to a levelup.

BIG +1 to this ^^^

Why does it take me 5 different posts, each somewhere around the length of War and Peace, to even approach that level of clarity?  :D

• Like 4

Milkman Dan

@@MilkmanDan ah, I understand now. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I'll paraphrase a little from your previous post as my phone is not appropriate to single out specific quotes accurately without me accidently reporting/thanking you :)

You raised the point about Octavarium being the type of song that lower level players could in fact play and gain a reasonably good score. This is what worries me, where folk from lower categories might accidently find themselves bumped up a level and unable to return to their category.

The good thing about most of the bass tracks selected they are fun, but not all are technically complicated. It's great when we get tunes with "meedly meedly" bass lines, I like playing the top end of the neck as that's a nice change from the general "5th - 7th annnnnd down to the 1st". But that's just my view. :)

• Like 1

I, myself, would not like to see Advanced participants having 100% wars on legit Advanced songs. I would prefer to rate that song as 6. Unless you're just too good, then I will kick you up to MasterClass :lol: As of right now, I change Alt-J bass rate to 6, as otherwise to guitar parts, where I'm taking higher rate from x-y, in bass I'm taking lower one. So 6-7 will be 6, as I agree that, even tough, it's just one riff.

And here is something for fun:

I'm not really a go to gig type of a person, it would be great to see Metallica or Iron Maiden live but I can survive watching blu-ray, still there is a band I really want to see live - hail to Metric and one of my favorite live performances - Dead Disco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i50D9y5Y2k

(Check out Emily Haines earlobe, I always knew that this means greatness :D )

All this love thanks to Rocksmith Championship and bringing up music you would never listen to :)

• Like 5

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

Intermediate Lead - 97.13%, 124 streak

I played rhythm but got worse score then my 1st :huh:

• Like 3

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

6 notes...will do a 100% run on Wednesday...then onto lead

{snip}

So much for my early prediction that this week would NOT be a "highest score attack wins!"...

Nicely done!

That run was not easy by any means, if and when i get the 100 I probably won't try to increase score, it'll be that hard

• Like 2

Many nice scores on all songs :)

Intermediate Lead - 97.13%, 124 streak

I played rhythm but got worse score then my 1st :huh:

Wow - 97 on this in 6 tries, hell impressive!!!

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

Tried beginner lead:

2015-02-23_210522.jpg

First try was invalid because I leveled down some sections, because ... chords!  /shakes fist

But actually, that was really good for me, because I actually struggled through and tried to do the chords properly.  Well, at least the two in the song that aren't barre chords expanding on power chord shapes.  Those I just played as the basic power chords, and Rocksmith takes pity on my patheticness and gives me credit for them anyway.  Mostly.

But at least trying to do some basic chords is probably a good thing for me.  If nothing else, it helps remind me that I should primarily stick to bass, where I vaguely know what I'm doing.  :)

• Like 2

Milkman Dan