Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Photo

Latest EOF releases (2-20-2019)

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
2538 replies to this topic

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts
  • 569 thanks

Donator

The default that the toolkit used until now is the following :

PART REAL_GUITAR = Rhythm default

PART REAL_GUITAR_22 = Lead default

No idea how was the BONUS part treated. but it seems fair to give it a status of bonus arrangement by default (lead or rhythm) according to the default name.

So far the toolkit is taking care of putting only one representative track per path. But in doing so, it overwrite the represent tag. If EOF end up doing that check this would allow for the newly added option of EOF to actually be used as intended because the toolkit won't alter that argument anymore.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   dan_A

dan_A

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks

@raynebc Blue highlight sounds good.

I might have just said something about the tracks since the track menu feels cluttered/disordered. Since changing default track names is out of the question (they're just based on RB3, right?), it might help if at least similar tracks were listed together, as in the REAL_GUITAR and REAL_BASS parts are in order (PART DANCE really looks out of place in there), if compatibility won't be an issue. Maybe Ctrl+Tab could just cycle through non-empty tracks as well.

edit: I completely forgot that you can rename tracks. I guess if only changing the track type is possible (e.g. fake guitar, real guitar, drums, vocals) there could be room for whatever tracks one might need (RB3 vocal harmonies, anyone?).

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

• Administrator

• 4,034 posts
  • 569 thanks

Donator

@dan_A i don't recall the exact combination but you can cycle through track already with Tab.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• Rocksmith Custom Developer

• 2,837 posts
  • 756 thanks
@firekorn I think it's appropriate to make default arrangement paths/types match what the toolkit had been assuming. I also think it's sensible to make the tracks with the highest default fret limit the lead guitar arrangement or representative bass arrangement. Please let me know if you agree with these EOF changes:
->Make PART REAL_GUITAR_BONUS rhythm path, bonus arrangement by default
->Make PART REAL_GUITAR rhythm path, normal arrangement type by default
->Make PART REAL_GUITAR_22 lead path, normal arrangement type by default
->Make PART REAL_BASS bass path, alternate arrangement type by default
->Make PART REAL_BASS_22 bass path, normal arrangement type by default

And also with the added warning and arrangement override during save if the user has either no representative or multiple representative arrangements for a path (lead/rhythm/bass) that is present in the project.

@dan_A Changing the order of tracks in Song>Track would be messy because at this time it's based off the track ordering internally to EOF and that cannot change. I can make a user preference for CTRL+Tab and CTRL+SHIFT+Tab to skip empty tracks if you would find that helpful, let me know. There are CTRL+SHIFT+Up/Dn shortcuts to cycle to the next/previous track of the same type (ie. pro guitar), but it doesn't take into account whether the track is empty.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   dan_A

dan_A

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks

Thank you, I did anticipate that compatibility might break. Skipping empty tracks will indeed be helpful since I can then cycle to the vocals without having to go through all the other tracks I don't use. Thanks again!

Offline   theSG

theSG

Hardcore Guitarist

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • SG

Steam Profile

->Make PART REAL_GUITAR_BONUS rhythm path, bonus arrangement by default
->Make PART REAL_GUITAR rhythm path, normal arrangement type by default
->Make PART REAL_GUITAR_22 lead path, normal arrangement type by default
->Make PART REAL_BASS bass path, alternate arrangement type by default
->Make PART REAL_BASS_22 bass path, normal arrangement type by default

That's completely opposite of how I using them. Can you just make this a global eof setting rather than per project setting. So if in my last project I set PART REAL_GUITAR as lead path, bonus arrangement it would be set so as default for all new projects.

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,837 posts
  • 756 thanks
It shouldn't be too hard to make it automatically remember the last arrangement path and type the user defined for a track. Doing it this way would be less of a hassle than having to design a dialog with drop downs, etc.

An alternative (which I think I would consider the best option) would be to add a "Set as default" menu function so you can set your preferred arrangement settings once per track and not worry about one-off instances (ie. working on a song with 5 guitar arrangements and no bass arrangements) changing your preferences. Let me know what you think.

Offline   theSG

theSG

Hardcore Guitarist

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • SG

Steam Profile

Yea, "Set as default" makes more sense.

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

• Administrator

• 4,034 posts
  • 569 thanks

Donator

@theSG Note that regarding the guitar track, it also the opposite of how i work but i was always altering the arrangement type anyway so i don't loose time regarding that change and i prefered to state what the toolkit considered as "default" than what i used in my own corner.

If each user can define their own default option, it's even better.

@raynebc One interesting fact that was brought up to me regarding this is that official DLC haven't used the "bonus" naming since RS2014 release (only on disc song and RS1 songs are using it) so making the Bonus guitar track as an alternate track seems more appropriate by default. Note that this is a minor nitpick and that i don't really care that much about it as it won't change much of anything for user. Just more of a FYI than anything.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,837 posts
  • 756 thanks
OK. I'll work on making that functionality sometime soon. About the bonus arrangements being rare in official charts, are they scored or have stats tracked in any unique way compared to alternate arrangements?

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

• Administrator

• 4,034 posts
  • 569 thanks

Donator

@raynebc for all i know, it's only a naming difference in game but that's it.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Online   Billkwando

Billkwando

L'Arc~en~Spiel

• Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • 136 thanks

Hi all!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'd like to make a feature request for EOF.

Current behavior: When you click on a note and hit N to change the fret number, you have to click in the box to change the fret number, and your mouse pointer has to continue to hover over the text box, otherwise, the cursor disappears and keyboard input does nothing

Expected behavior: Once you click into the text box, the cursor should stay there, regardless of mouse position.

The problem for me is the way I chart by hand/by ear, I usually have guitar in my lap and a keyboard and mouse on the couch next to me. So with my left hand, I click in the box, and then reach over to the keyboard, and by the time I get there, the mouse has moved slightly and I can't type, and have to go back and mouse over the box again and try to type a 2nd time. It's just super fiddly is all.

What I would love to see: When selecting a single note and hitting N (or hitting Next), it would be nice if the cursor was already in the text box, behind the number, ready for backspacing (or in front, for deleting, lol).

This may sound stupid, but when I chart by ear, I sync a blank "click track" GP tab to the song in GPA, then I import it into EOF to get the sync. Then, I just go through the track first putting open notes for every note/chord I hear in the song, and then I go back and fill the notes in one at a time, using N or Next, as I check them on the guitar. Then I just copy and paste the repeating parts (I have overwrite on) correcting variations when needed. It's less daunting to me to do it in stages, and I can recheck my note positioning with a fresh perspective as I'm adding the fret numbers in.

Does that make sense? Anyway, it would be greatly appreciated and make my hand charting soooo much faster.

I have a Tom Waits song that I'm dying to do, but the whole thing is noodling, and I'm dreading the frustration of trying to plug all those notes in, while trying to decipher the notes by ear as I go. the way it's handled currently.

Sorry for writing a novel, and thanks! :D

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

• Administrator

• 4,034 posts
  • 569 thanks

Donator

For single note, it would be faster to adjust the fret number with CTRL+1 to 0 for 1 to 10 and CTRL+F1 to F12 for 11 to 22.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Online   Billkwando

Billkwando

L'Arc~en~Spiel

• Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • 136 thanks

For single note, it would be faster to adjust the fret number with CTRL+1 to 0 for 1 to 10 and CTRL+F1 to F12 for 11 to 22.

Not with my left hand, it's not. ;)

That's why I wrote the long post, and edited it about 10 times, to make it perfectly clear what I was doing and why I was asking. :P

I still think it's a reasonable request, and that the current program behavior is not typical of most programs, or any that I'm aware of. If I click in the search bar at the top of my browser, and then go down and mouse over my clock, the cursor is still flashing in the search bar.

Also, that method removes the Next button from the equation, and clicking on each note individually would be a nightmare for keeping track of where I am, because on my screen(s) which are feet away from me, it's very hard to read the note number on the chart.......and the same shortcut that turns on my screen magnifier zooms the chart, so I have to click out of EOF if I want to use it (and even worse, the shortcut that closes the magnifier also tries to close EOF). I have 2 mouse buttons dedicated to the magnifier, 1 to open and 1 to close, in case you're wondering how I hit those shortcuts with one hand.

Believe me, I wouldn't be asking if I knew of a better/easier way. I've been at this for nearly 5 years now, and the text input thing has always bothered me, but I just dealt with it because I didn't want to trouble anyone.....but I'm just starting to realize just how much it has been hampering my productivity.  It bugs me even when I am using 2 hands. I'm sure it bugs other folks as well, but like I did, they likely just get used to it and just think of it as the price of doing business, so to speak.

- Billkwando

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,837 posts
  • 756 thanks
If you enable the "Click to change dialog focus" preference, you don't have to worry about the mouse movement taking focus away from the fret number field you're editing. Or at least that's how it's meant to work. I'm seeing that dialog controls that aren't text input fields can still steal focus when moused over, so I have some work to do to improve that.

Using the "Edit note frets/fingering" function (pressing F instead of N) may be more helpful in your case since the controls that can steal focus are further away from the fret number field. I could also see how hard it would be to automatically have this function give focus to the fret number field of whichever string was just toggled on.

Online   Billkwando

Billkwando

L'Arc~en~Spiel

• Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • 136 thanks

If you enable the "Click to change dialog focus" preference, you don't have to worry about the mouse movement taking focus away from the fret number field you're editing. Or at least that's how it's meant to work. I'm seeing that dialog controls that aren't text input fields can still steal focus when moused over, so I have some work to do to improve that.

Using the "Edit note frets/fingering" function (pressing F instead of N) may be more helpful in your case since the controls that can steal focus are further away from the fret number field. I could also see how hard it would be to automatically have this function give focus to the fret number field of whichever string was just toggled on.

Thanks for the tip, but it appears I already had that option checked, alas.

The reason I don't use F is because, again, there is no button to advance to the next note, and because I lose all the other options I need while placing a note (vibrato, string mute, ignore, link next, etc). shift V I can do 1-handed, but you get the idea.

Edit: Would be nice if the cursor popped in for the other boxes too, like Set End Fret, Unpitched Slide, bend, etc. One less extra step. ;)

- Billkwando

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,837 posts
  • 756 thanks
I'll work on expanding the scope of the "Click to change dialog focus". The other functions you mention automatically set the cursor focus in the input fields.

I'll see about setting the default cursor focus to the last-placed gem (if applicable) when pulling up the edit pro guitar note dialog.

Online   Billkwando

Billkwando

L'Arc~en~Spiel

• Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • 136 thanks

I'll work on expanding the scope of the "Click to change dialog focus". The other functions you mention automatically set the cursor focus in the input fields.

The only reason I mentioned them was because they didn't (I didn't check Bend, maybe that one does) but when I did both types of slides, neither one would let me type until I clicked into the box, and I had just updated to the newest version of EOF, because I didn't wanna be an idiot and asking for something you had already done, due to me using an outdated version.

- Billkwando

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,837 posts
  • 756 thanks
The focus for those dialogs does default to the input field, but if you had accidentally moved the mouse over any of the other controls, it would have moved the focus. I verified this happens in the 9-28-2018 hotfix with default settings, please let me know if you find otherwise (ie. select the note, set the mouse aside and don't move it, then use keyboard controls to bring up the functions, such as CTRL+Up, CTRL+U, CTRL+B ).

Online   Billkwando

Billkwando

L'Arc~en~Spiel

• Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • 136 thanks

Yes, I see now that if I judiciously avoid the buttons, it seems to work. I didn't even realize that mousing over other functions was what was causing it to happen. Again, it has bugged me in the past even when I was using 2 hands. I wonder if it's an issue for anyone using one of those trackballs instead of a mouse.

It still doesn't make any sense to me why it's made that way, unless it's unintentional or just easier for you (which I can't argue with, it's a free program)... Setting aside the fact that I have a really hard time keeping my mouse in a dead still position, which is obviously my problem and mine alone, I just think it should require you to actually click on something to change the focus, which I believe is standard windows behavior (unless it's the Click to change focus option just not working right?). It just seems counter intuitive, otherwise I would've figured it out on my own. ;)

Anyway, thanks for explaining why it was happening. At least now I know how to try to avoid it.

- Billkwando

Change your privacy preferences (EU)