Lesson CDLC's

Hey guys!

DP here.

Id just like to say im going to start making lesson CDLC's (different from the current ones made). Possibly one every one or two days. I hope this works for you guys, I feel this sections been dead for a bit since ive been here so im going to try to jump start it! Im in the midst of creating my first lesson CDLC. Note that the dlc i'm going to be making will have no sound in the background so you will hear only your guitar, There will be Dynamic difficulty aswell. The DLC will be below, Ill post the first soon! :)

Customs:

Speed And Independence

Alternate Picking to Solo

Heavy Metal Guitar School Part 1 (honestly really amazing practice DLC)

The Blues Scale!

Spider Exercise

• Like 19

Awesome. There should be a Customsforge's course. Something like, play this lesson, now this song(a easy song where you can practice what you learnt in the lesson).

Agreed. Would be cool to have something in the style of the in-game lessons (though obviously we couldn't do something exactly like that) that would extend to some more specific techniques that show up in real songs.

Even something like a curated selection of songs that are good ones to focus on if you want to learn certain techniques would be extremely useful (and if this has been done already, let me know!).

• Like 2

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Awesome. There should be a Customsforge's course. Something like, play this lesson, now this song(a easy song where you can practice what you learnt in the lesson).

There are tons of youtube channels that focus on guitar and bass lessons.  You could probably get in touch with at least one of them to get tabs and backing tracks to build customs from (if they don't already provide those resources in the video descriptions).  Rather than having to sit down and design a curriculum from scratch, you could make a set of customs to augment a specific youtube channel that's already released a bunch of structured lessons.  

And when I say "you", I mean in the general sense -- whoever might be interested in such a project.  I'm not trying to force the idea on @@Laro or @DeadlyPower  ;)

I'd be really cool if we could make custom lessons (with videos and all that), but I'm not sure anyone's looked into modifying the etudes.psarc file (I assume lessons are all stored in there).  It's probably not too different from normal dlc packs, but messing with that may just be outside the scope of things the toolkit devs want to work on.  The game may not even be setup to parse additional lessons beyond what it was shipped with, which would explain why there haven't been any official lesson expansions.

• Like 1

There are tons of youtube channels that focus on guitar and bass lessons.  You could probably get in touch with at least one of them to get tabs and backing tracks to build customs from (if they don't already provide those resources in the video descriptions).  Rather than having to sit down and design a curriculum from scratch, you could make a set of customs to augment a specific youtube channel that's already released a bunch of structured lessons.  

And when I say "you", I mean in the general sense -- whoever might be interested in such a project.  I'm not trying to force the idea on @@Laro or @DeadlyPower  ;)

I'd be really cool if we could make custom lessons (with videos and all that), but I'm not sure anyone's looked into modifying the etudes.psarc file (I assume lessons are all stored in there).  It's probably not too different from normal dlc packs, but messing with that may just be outside the scope of things the toolkit devs want to work on.  The game may not even be setup to parse additional lessons beyond what it was shipped with, which would explain why there haven't been any official lesson expansions.

@@Bentron This is honestly a very good idea. Recommend me some good channels and ill try to get in touch with them or look at some of their lessons for backing tracks/tabs!

@@Bentron alright thanks! ill contact them as soon as i can, any particular lessons do you think should be added? to be completely honest ive always recommended more of being able to hear yourself play so you know that youre playing correctly instead of hearing the game / backing track only, another thing i could do is find say, a 160 bpm drum track and put the notes to that ( yes thats pretty fast aha its just an example) but let me know.

I didn't really have anything specific in mind, more just whatever topic you're interested in or feel is missing from the game's stock lessons.  If you go to their respective websites (Bass and Guitar), they break their videos up into general topics, and in JustinGuitar's case, more structured lesson plans it looks like.  

Both I think have a lot of videos that may not translate easily to a rocksmith custom (music theory, improv, general gear discussions), but there's plenty of other material.  There's a lot of "here's a cool riff/groove to learn" and finger exercise/scale/arpeggio type stuff if you want to do more one-off type customs.  The former may limit you to making customs for either bass or guitar, but the latter should be pretty easy to adapt to either instrument.

The youtube channels do have playlists that group the videos by topic as well, but the websites I think do a better job breaking it all up in a way that's easier to parse.

@@Bentron alright thanks! ill contact them as soon as i can, any particular lessons do you think should be added? to be completely honest ive always recommended more of being able to hear yourself play so you know that youre playing correctly instead of hearing the game / backing track only, another thing i could do is find say, a 160 bpm drum track and put the notes to that ( yes thats pretty fast aha its just an example) but let me know.

Another thing I've done for some exercises I've made for personal use is making click tracks in Audacity or something similar, and it's worked out pretty well for me. Audacity's a bit limited in the variety of click tracks that you can make, though you can get around that somewhat by aligning two tracks end-to-end and then mix and render them (e.g. if you want things in the same lesson at different bpm or time signature).

But yeah, with riff repeater, you can set the "target" bpm pretty fast if you want to. I think RR only really works down to 30% speed or so (at least on my computer - I didn't notice any additional slowdown below that), so you don't want to make the target too ridiculous.

As for resources, for bass there's also TalkingBass (link to the lessons). A lot of the lessons have pdf tabs with them. Not as convenient as it could be, but not too bad to work with. I think I made something with the linear tapping stuff a while back (when we had some Mr. Big in the Championship).

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Looking forward to it. These lessons have been immediately helpful. I'm seeing rapid improvement with this stuff. Guess I was just needing a more organized way to practice.

Might I request non-stop sweep picking? All the way up and down the fretboard? Or maybe scales or riffs leading into and out of extended sweep exercises? I have no idea how much effort that would take to make, but it seems like it would be an incredibly helpful lesson (at least for me, lol).

Thanks again for the work in creating these. You have no idea how beneficial this approach has already been.

:)

I'm always interested in Exercises, Lessons or as we used to call them in the beginning "You" play.

Unluckily the search engine in RS is non-existent, so it's hard to locate them (I gather them in a folder).

I liked the "You" artist name, because there are not many artists with a "Y".

Also doing exercises is not easy, because of the responsibility of teaching others.

I still don't feel ready to make a complete lesson of a subject, and give the necessary recommendations to do it right.

Nothing worse in learning then having to erase a bad habit.  :angry:

Of course a simple custom may evolve until complete.

But I didn't see evolutions in the submitted cdlc, 

Either the difficulty may not have linear progression, or the taught subject may not be described.

Which leaves me longing for something different.

95% of my training, I do it outside RS following Pebber Brown and Jim Bowley.

And the etudes.psarc can be converted back to GP5.

For the practical side, the Guitarnick is amazingly well done, with a lot of variety.

I adapted "The Lonely Man Blues" which however is easier to learn by video than by RS14.  ;)

I would like to see a lesson where I can play one chord throughout the neck. I know basic chords only up the neck.

So, it would be like chord A, starting on 2nd fret going all the way down, and then E and so on...Beginner lesson  :)

I think I checked all current lessons and there is nothing like that.

Also what I don't like is excessive use of muted string symbol. In Rocksmith official songs it is usually omitted, for example double stops with A and G strings, where D string is muted but not shown.

Just wanted to share some thoughts, thanks for your efforts!

ps. Didn't know about GuitarNick, looks good, thanks.

Can these be converted to other platforms using the toolkit or are they PC only?

For the most part, all customs can be converted with the Toolkit. Sometimes older customs that were created with an older version of the Toolkit will fail to convert, but it's not that common of a problem any more.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...