Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Announcements:

$329 left in our donation goal. Any amount helps: click here to donate.

Join us on Discord | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon | Merch | Volunteer | Newsletter Issue 10 (Aug) [Special Tool Edition] w/ New Ignition Preview

Photo

Dusting first or restring?

- - - - - Guitar String Gauge Restring Dusting help

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Offline   ShrillBear52

ShrillBear52

Burnout CDLC creator with anxiety

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • 15 thanks

I bought a pacage of Ernie Ball Strings a week ago and i want to restring my Cort CR 230 Guitar.But it's very dusty and need to be cleand.Should i Dust it first or resting it?

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

Offline   Viltaire

Viltaire

Hardcore Guitarist

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • 4 thanks

I personally would clean it up and then restring it.

Offline   Mostly Rancid

Mostly Rancid

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • 45 thanks

I would take the old strings off first , then clean

rancidsmith.jpg

Offline   dazmo

dazmo

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

yep take em off, clean your guitar up, then put the new strings on. 

edit: i need to do this myself. . . . so lazy am i

Offline   Mostly Rancid

Mostly Rancid

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • 45 thanks

Ha Ha! If you saw the dust , grime and cigarette ash on my guitars you'd feel alot better :D

rancidsmith.jpg

Offline   Viltaire

Viltaire

Hardcore Guitarist

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • 4 thanks

I just assumed one would take the old strings off first. That's what I do.

Offline   ShrillBear52

ShrillBear52

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • 15 thanks

Ha Ha! If you saw the dust , grime and cigarette ash on my guitars you'd feel alot better :D

Another one bite the Dust? :)

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Offline   Attitude

Attitude

Jack Of All Trades, Master Of None

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • 45 thanks

Donator

Unless you have a tremelo just cut all the strings off then clean her up. I would clean the fretboard since you can get to it as well. String it up and enjoy. New strings are almost as good as new guitar day to me.

oEDf6vQm.jpg  I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

Offline   ShrillBear52

ShrillBear52

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • 15 thanks

Unless you have a tremelo just cut all the strings off then clean her up. I would clean the fretboard since you can get to it as well. String it up and enjoy. New strings are almost as good as new guitar day to me.

I alreday cut the old strings (damm i get lof of scars,how stupid am I)but when i celand the guitar it doesn't have any signals that it's clean.Also i restringd it and the high e stirng has been broked( that's the 4th case,i think the hish e strings hate me  :( ) and it it's not enough, most of the strings if i play it,it has weird noises.So i've got a lot of pronblems.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Offline   Mostly Rancid

Mostly Rancid

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • 45 thanks

I alreday cut the old strings (damm i get lof of scars,how stupid am I)but when i celand the guitar it doesn't have any signals that it's clean.Also i restringd it and the high e stirng has been broked( that's the 4th case,i think the hish e strings hate me  :( ) and it it's not enough, most of the strings if i play it,it has weird noises.So i've got a lot of pronblems.

I'm no expert but that sounds like a truss rod issue.

rancidsmith.jpg

Offline   ikwtif

ikwtif

Expert Guitarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • 7 thanks

most of the strings if i play it,it has weird noises.So i've got a lot of pronblems.

Sound like an action-issue, aka your strings touching the frets. You'll probably have to raise your bridge saddles for that. Are you using different strings than usually?

Also, do you cut off the strings immediatly after a restring? I usually let them settle a bit before doing that because I had a few times the e-string just breaks when I do that immediatly after a restring. Anyway, if it really happens a lot, just go for a bit thicker strings. I usually put .10 on my guitar for that reason and they usually last a bit longer.

Offline   ShrillBear52

ShrillBear52

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • 15 thanks

most of the strings if i play it,it has weird noises.So i've got a lot of pronblems.

Sound like an action-issue, aka your strings touching the frets. You'll probably have to raise your bridge saddles for that. Are you using different strings than usually?

Also, do you cut off the strings immediatly after a restring? I usually let them settle a bit before doing that because I had a few times the e-string just breaks when I do that immediatly after a restring. Anyway, if it really happens a lot, just go for a bit thicker strings. I usually put .10 on my guitar for that reason and they usually last a bit longer.

It's a 10 Gauge string pacage and i alread brokd the high e string.Well,i cut the useles string parts but not to short.

Also i will not buy anymore ernie ball strings because it's a pice of shit!!!!  It can get suckd very easily even it's a hard gauge string.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Offline   ikwtif

ikwtif

Expert Guitarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • 7 thanks

Also i will not buy anymore ernie ball strings because it's a pice of shit!!!!  It can get suckd very easily even it's a hard gauge string.

Hmmm. I usually buy the regular slinky ones and never really had problems with them. They usually last quite a while for me.

Offline   ShrillBear52

ShrillBear52

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • 15 thanks

Hmmm. I usually buy the regular slinky ones and never really had problems with them. They usually last quite a while for me.

It can be a lot of time to restring a guitar with this string,and i don't know, now i chekd it again and it doesn't seem to be any problem,but tomrrow i will take it to the guitarstore.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts
  • 585 thanks

Donator

Brand of string have quite different result depending on each guitar/guitarist. I don't have any issue with Ernie Ball but i've heard some people complain while for some other brand it's the other way around...

Try it out by yourself and make your own opinion based on your own feeling, it's easy to buy a pack of different brand and then choose what you feel comfortable with. It's the same thing for pick :)

And dusting while you have no string is way easier but don't let the guitar with no string for too long either (get yourself a good afternoon for the whole process) as this could cause heavy damage on the neck of the guitar depending on the truss rod quality. And after all of this a little check on the setup of the guitar can't do any harm of course :D

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   Izzy

Izzy

Such a pretty pretty princess that loves Nickleback!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • 76 thanks

Ive been using super slinkys since the late 80s, ive tried every other brand of strings i can get my hands on, i just end up going back to balls.  

76561198043260236.png

Offline   storm20200

storm20200

Expert Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • 4 thanks

Donator

The fingerboard in that post is disgusting! I thought mine were bad but they're nothing compared to that! I tend to wash my hands before playing so I don't mess it up too much but I change strings every month and I always give a full clean at the same time.

Gear:
Chapman ML-1, Blackstar HT1

My systems: 
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 2666MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1333MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | Arch Linux

Offline   ShrillBear52

ShrillBear52

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • 15 thanks

Ive been using super slinkys since the late 80s, ive tried every other brand of strings i can get my hands on, i just end up going back to balls.  

Well,i taked the guitar to the guitarstore and i've be waiting for the results of the investigate(i mean ,they checkd the guitar if it's bad)

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Offline   ikwtif

ikwtif

Expert Guitarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • 7 thanks

Ah nice. Feel free to update us on what the problem was, I'm curious. Could be just too much stress on the e-string for some reason. maybe they will adjust the neck truss rod or the bridge (if it's a floating bridge)

Offline   Mostly Rancid

Mostly Rancid

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • 45 thanks

The fingerboard in that post is disgusting! I thought mine were bad but they're nothing compared to that! I tend to wash my hands before playing so I don't mess it up too much but I change strings every month and I always give a full clean at the same time.

I should probably wash my hands before playing. I've had the same strings on for over a year , is that bad?

rancidsmith.jpg