How to use Custom DLCs in RS2014 Remastered [Updated for 2023]

Izzy

1 hour ago, WobyHydros2006 said:

Sorry to offend, thank you for correcting me.

You are welcome, and I myself am not offended. I am just direct and didn't sugar coat it. Last person that Nick and I tried to figure out the problem, I ran afoul and got myself into trouble for saying something that looked like the wrong thing trying to get to the bottom of it.

I am recommending that you familiarize yourself with the entire rules listed above under "Other" and then "Guidelines".

The download link gave me a virus 2 days ago that necessitated a full wipe of my computer. I tried both the installer and just the .dll file. I tried both because Rocksmith was still not showing any of the new cdlc that I added. I tried to do a full reinstall of Rocksmith but saw that steam wouldn't delete the file. I tried to delete it myself and was blocked out due to needing admin rights, which I have being the only user of my pc.  The only thing that was left in the rocksmith folder was the D3DX9 file and it would not die. After a few more attempts to delete it my friend suggested that I download a remote desktop thing for him to help. My computer then informed me that I was no longer allowed to save things to my desktop. At that point I pulled the ethernet and began a full reformat. I now very much question the security of the installer and/or the dll file alone.

image1.png

image2.png

image3.png

image4.png

Edited by prosper020
grammar & to add info

@ prosper020 I am inclined to doubt that you got the virus from there as we've had many people use that DLL and/or the installer recently without issue.

However, I'll ping @ lovrom8 who can likely address your concern more fully, on the off-chance that there is an issue (in the electronic world, almost anything is imaginable...).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I very much want it to not be from here. Google warned the heck out of me about downloading either file, but I have been downloading from here for years so I ignored it. Then my antivirus auto quarantined the file when I told google to download it. After repeating the process and ignoring the warnings from both systems again I ran the installer, opened rocksmith, saw the new cdlc still was not there,  and then went right for the fresh install after seeing the dll file was already in the folder. There was at most 10 minutes between the first download and me not being able to delete the dll file. I don't know how cyber security works so I don't know if that just happened to be the download that something latent used. I also didn't want to say nothing and leave the possibility of more people's computers becoming infected. Honestly, I'm just itching to play some new cdlc and am hoping for reassurance that I wont infect my pc again lol. Thank you for your reply! @ Nick Beat

@ prosper020

Keep in mind I am not a Moderator, nor Administrator.

You are not the first person to say that an anti-virus gave a warning for a virus. Scroll back one page and read the exchange between Sandyclawz and Lovrom8. You can go back further, and see others say the same thing, but refer to what Lovrom8 said in his post. He is the developer.

You however are the first and only person I have seen that has claimed an actual virus infection. Let's put that into context. 1 person vs how many users and downloaders in/of this forum (hint: thousands).

There are many reasons for a file to become locked. However, 99.9% of the time, it is because the file is in use, or is being marked as being in use. Now I understand where you are coming from, and you were convinced it was (a virus) because Google said it was. I understand the actions you took, and why you did.

I was not there, none of us were, Only you were. I can not see into your PC say with any certainty that "this happened because of this". This is speculation and conjuncture, but given your description of events a process locked on to the file. Now was it the anti-virus from being quarantined? Was it the Uninstaller that you ran right before? As Nick said, "(in the electronic world, almost anything is imaginable...)." And from my experience, I have to say this is so very true.

It is easy to arm chair quarterback, and there is no way of finding out as the disk has been wiped so take it for what it is worth. A better option would have been to boot into safe mode or attempt to delete it from the command line before letting someone remotely access your pc. Again, given the state of mind you were in, I understand where and why. I have wiped disks for less reasoning than that. Again, however the downloaded remote access you downloaded was a far larger risk of malware / viruses than the .dll from this site. Your desktop being locked (I am sure you are explaining that to explain the situation you were in following the events) was not from the .dll but the actions of letting someone root around in your pc from remote access.

As far as cDLC not showing, you are not the first to have that problem. Again, scroll back one page, you will see someone else saying that the cdlc is not showing in game. In fact, if you scroll back through this thread, you will see many people that have not had the cdlc show up for a variety of reasons. Windows 11, wrong .dll, cdlc not in the correct place, the list is legion and goes on and on. Again as the disk was wiped, we can not get to the bottom of why it didn't show. There is the possibility we would have never gotten it figured out if the disk had not been wiped so again, take it for what it is worth.

I am with Nick, I really really really do not think you got a virus from this site, or that .dll. Now, I have not run the enabler, but I have downloaded that .dll. even the new one, more than once as I also just put it on a brand new laptop.

• Like 1

@ prosper020 @ Sniper Reload3d About the only thing I can think of doing at the moment (in the absence of our devs weighing in) would be to boot up my PC and do a virus scan myself; I have a BitDefender subscription.

Unfortunately, I cannot do it today (meeting which will take all day) but I can try to get it in tomorrow (not a firm promise, you understand).

1 hour ago, Nick Beat said:

@ prosper020 @ Sniper Reload3d About the only thing I can think of doing at the moment (in the absence of our devs weighing in) would be to boot up my PC and do a virus scan myself; I have a BitDefender subscription.

Unfortunately, I cannot do it today (meeting which will take all day) but I can try to get it in tomorrow (not a firm promise, you understand).

I am assuming you will get pretty much the same result as Sandyclawz and lovrom8 already discussed. Lostscout_8x's post has a screen shot of his bitdefender with the false alert.

13 hours ago, Sniper Reload3d said:

@ prosper020

Keep in mind I am not a Moderator, nor Administrator.

You are not the first person to say that an anti-virus gave a warning for a virus. Scroll back one page and read the exchange between Sandyclawz and Lovrom8. You can go back further, and see others say the same thing, but refer to what Lovrom8 said in his post. He is the developer.

You however are the first and only person I have seen that has claimed an actual virus infection. Let's put that into context. 1 person vs how many users and downloaders in/of this forum (hint: thousands).

There are many reasons for a file to become locked. However, 99.9% of the time, it is because the file is in use, or is being marked as being in use. Now I understand where you are coming from, and you were convinced it was (a virus) because Google said it was. I understand the actions you took, and why you did.

I was not there, none of us were, Only you were. I can not see into your PC say with any certainty that "this happened because of this". This is speculation and conjuncture, but given your description of events a process locked on to the file. Now was it the anti-virus from being quarantined? Was it the Uninstaller that you ran right before? As Nick said, "(in the electronic world, almost anything is imaginable...)." And from my experience, I have to say this is so very true.

It is easy to arm chair quarterback, and there is no way of finding out as the disk has been wiped so take it for what it is worth. A better option would have been to boot into safe mode or attempt to delete it from the command line before letting someone remotely access your pc. Again, given the state of mind you were in, I understand where and why. I have wiped disks for less reasoning than that. Again, however the downloaded remote access you downloaded was a far larger risk of malware / viruses than the .dll from this site. Your desktop being locked (I am sure you are explaining that to explain the situation you were in following the events) was not from the .dll but the actions of letting someone root around in your pc from remote access.

As far as cDLC not showing, you are not the first to have that problem. Again, scroll back one page, you will see someone else saying that the cdlc is not showing in game. In fact, if you scroll back through this thread, you will see many people that have not had the cdlc show up for a variety of reasons. Windows 11, wrong .dll, cdlc not in the correct place, the list is legion and goes on and on. Again as the disk was wiped, we can not get to the bottom of why it didn't show. There is the possibility we would have never gotten it figured out if the disk had not been wiped so again, take it for what it is worth.

I am with Nick, I really really really do not think you got a virus from this site, or that .dll. Now, I have not run the enabler, but I have downloaded that .dll. even the new one, more than once as I also just put it on a brand new laptop.

You said many true things and really stressed many good points. I never got the chance to actually save the file for the remote access so no one was routing around in my pc with my permission. There are indeed many pages of issues of cDLC not showing up, and on the files being flagged as viruses. I have read through several of them.

My pc started acting in ways symptomatic to having a "virus" with a strong association to the activity I was doing at the time. That activity was downloading and using the installer. My issue was that I did not want anyone else to get "infected." I knew the chances were extremely low that I got a "virus" from customsforge, and that I probably didn't need to say anything. But everyone saying nothing is also how problems persist. I understand that other people have brought up these files being flagged before. I thought having "symptoms" as well was worth bringing up as a possible warning. I am sorry if this was a selfish mistake. 

Thank you for you many pieces of advice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prosper020 said:

well was worth bringing up as a possible warning. I am sorry if this was a selfish mistake

Was not selfish, quite the opposite as both have said. If it was indeed a virus, from here, it is well worth letting others know. Has to be said both ways. Illuminate possible risks, and quell before hysteria starts. Selfish would be not saying anything, thinking, F everyone else.

• Like 1

@ TheBros47874 I tested it for myself just to be sure, and have pinged administrators about it on our Discord channel under #support.

The short term fix would be to ping someone who has the latest one (see higher up on this discussion for someone who has got it). I can offer you an older DLL which will work if you don't have one of those super CPU issues and so long as you either have Cherub Rock or are willing to use a utility to change app IDs of CDLCs to that of an ODLC you own.

Here's a link to my PC DLL on my NAS: https://os5.mycloud.com/action/share/34f052e2-76b3-4007-9a9c-cebd19627128

@ TheBros47874 The answer over on Discord is: Google may accept it down the road or not, use the installer.

I could host the DLL on my NAS if someone passes it to me.... @ Sniper Reload3d , have you got the latest one?

(Yes, I could boot up my PC which I haven't used in ages and install it and then host it, but...)

Someone offered it to me via MediaFire but MF won't download it either, claiming it's a dangerous file.

So I suppose we're running up against new security issues.... Fair enough, if you look up higher, there was a discussion about all this virus-like stuff.