You know what grinds my gears?

Joe

Question

Tunings *just* out of E. I get drop D and Eb and other non-standard tunings have a purpose, but why the **** would you tune an eighth step out of E or similar??!!

Christ, the Beatles made 300+ songs in E. THEY didn't seem to have any problems.

If you're going to do a song in ALMOST E just do the ****ing thing in E and have done with it!!!!!!!!!!

On a Steam Summer Sale high, I bought the Oasis pack yesterday and 3 of the 5 songs are in tunings JUST off of E. Assholes! Never would have bought it had I known. 

I feel better now. Thanks!

• Like 3

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

That's an interesting read, I always had my own theories about pitch differencies but obviously I missed a few reasons.

For the record I too hate re-tuning my guitar.  It's a Strat with a spring bridge so the strings need to settle.  Even small pitch changes take 2 or 3 fine tunes to get it settled correctly.  And when you are searching for the correct pitch in a song (like the U2 song I did last night) it can be very frustrating - it took me longer to find the correct pitch for the song than make the flippin custom :(

I should really start pitch correcting the audio before I start but then it's not "authentic"...  or do live versions of songs, they are normally bang on pitch.

I always figured that out of pitch songs were because someone sat twisting the pitch control on the tape machine, either for technical or artistic reasons.

Technical reasons - back in the day vinyl real estate was valuable, a lot of though went into the running order of albums to maximise the real estate on the expensive vinyl, and to make both sides (almost) the same length.  If it so happened that a particular song could do with being 10 seconds faster, then twist that pitch button!

Also, singles had to be a particular length for play on the radio.  If a 2.50 song HAD to be 3 mins to be played on the radio, then slow that sucker down.

Artistic reasons - producer/band/engineers sitting with a stogie hangin out thier mouth "hey man, that sounds better slower - chill it out man...".  Or same said people on rocket fuel, man speed that thing up it sounds ace faster (Eagles anyone?).

A lot of thought went into bpms too, so if the band were slow/fast then it would get sped up/slowed down.  The entire Eliminator album is 120bpm, cause the producer knew that 120bpm songs were the most played on the radio at the time.

These days people are far too used to everyhting being bang on pitch (modern pitch correction - Miley Cyrus???), and the technology is available to speed up or slow down without changing the pitch.

I am not trying to say these are the only reasons, I geuinely found this thread an interesting read and obviously I have more to learn :)

If you're going to do a song in ALMOST E just do the ****ing thing in E and have done with it!!!!!!!!!!

Please NO!.. Songs should in my opinion always remain as close to the original as possible.

Chances are, you won't be able to tell the difference.

My opinion on this subject actually has nothing to do with that. I believe that to change the pitch even slightly is messing with the art and in my book that sucks.

Again, just to be clear: When I said, "If you're going to do a song in ALMOST E just do the ****ing thing in E and have done with it!!!!," I was aiming my ire at the artists who recorded the track in the first place -- NOT the CDLC creators (who, of course, are awesome and may pitch correct to E or not as is their wont).

I understand and empathize with both the purist and convenience arguments regarding correcting pitch for CDLC. I find, however, that I rarely play stuff that is just a hair off, so I finally have come down on the convenience side. The change is unnoticeable and the songs will get played more. 

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

Interestingly enough. The official DLC for Turn Up The Radio is shown as being tuned as Eb. I haven't tried it yet but the previous custom was in E standard but the pitch had to be adjusted. So, in order for them to do that they either adjusted the speed or pitch shifted the entire thing. If they did that, why didn't they just go with e standard?

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

Interestingly enough. The official DLC for Turn Up The Radio is shown as being tuned as Eb. I haven't tried it yet but the previous custom was in E standard but the pitch had to be adjusted. So, in order for them to do that they either adjusted the speed or pitch shifted the entire thing. If they did that, why didn't they just go with e standard?

I have sheet music for Turn Up The Radio that says it was recorded in Eb.  A lot of the tabs online have it in E Standard though, likely because most people either can't hear the difference, or use pedals/amp settings to give it the darker sound that Eb tuning provides.

Tunings *just* out of E. I get drop D and Eb and other non-standard tunings have a purpose, but why the **** would you tune an eighth step out of E or similar??!!

Christ, the Beatles made 300+ songs in E. THEY didn't seem to have any problems.

On a Steam Summer Sale high, I bought the Oasis pack yesterday and 3 of the 5 songs are in tunings JUST off of E. Assholes! Never would have bought it had I known. 

I wonder if the world would just run by the guts of an idiot like you... <_<

I wonder if the world would just run by the guts of an idiot like you... <_<

If you're going to insult me, at least be clear about it. Please elucidate your point.