Current Website Performance Issues & 2021 Volunteer Help

Unleashed2k

• Administrator

Hey all,

As you can see there are large performance issues with the website. I'm fully aware as I get messaged about it from every source possible. With a full time job and as the only sysadmin this falls under as something only I can fix at the moment. I'm having a hard time narrowing the issue down as when the time outs start, there is no backend errors or severe load issues. 

The other issue is when prime-time (most users on the site) happens I'm usually asleep due to that I work night shift which makes it harder for me to see the issue. 

I understand everyone's frustrations, ignition4 was supposed to be the website that resolved all of the old websites problems. After the last website had a problem I was unable to revert, I was forced to upgrade the website to an unstable build Ignition4. Right now the search engine itself is stable however the server is not. So my plan for this week is to see the following:

1. See if we require to upgrade our servers again (I am trying to avoid this 100% as our current dedicated server specs are solid)
  2. Look into PHP issues, consider switching engines again if that is the issue
  3. Check the MySQL configuration, improve and optimize it.
  4. Analyze error logs, slow queries
  5. Verify outside sources are not the problem (illegal scrapers, DDoS Attacks, etc)
  6. Resolve the issues above, or consider hiring expert help by paying them via a donation goal

Please note due to COVID and other life issues that we are short-staffed. Right now if you don't count me we have 2 main developers for Ignition4/5, 1 developer for CFSM.

I want this to be the best website possible. If you have advanced skills and the time available, please apply. 

https://forms.gle/NWzpZTpBTok5T5ER6

Info about the volunteer jobs:

System Admin - This position you would be managing our cPanel server and configuring CentOS 7, MySQL, and Apache/PHP-FPM configurations. To apply for this job you must have previous professional system admin experience at a web hosting company. cPanel University and Certifications help.
React Developer - You would be working on the next version of the website, Ignition5. This uses Typescript and GraphQL
Laravel Developer - You would be working on the current version of the website. This uses Laravel 7, Livewire, Bootstrap4
.NET Developer - You would be working on our CFSM Project. This uses an old version of .NET, we would like to make it more modern. 
CF Moderator - You would moderate the website, forums, and clear out reports for Ignition.
Discord Moderator - You would solely be a CF Discord moderator, which provides assistance to users and moderates the chat.

If you're unable to assist via volunteering consider supporting the website via donations to keep us running

I hope to fix this within a few weeks. Please note I am trying my hardest to get this resolved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

"Just remember: when something breaks, kick it as hard as you fucking can"

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

• Unleashed2k changed the title to Current Website Performance Issues & 2021 Volunteer Help

can you give some information about the tech stack which is in use? as mentioned in the other topic (which unfortunately has been closed) i am also admin of some sites with a couple of thousands users, even if people like @fenrirwulfcan not imagine that. maybe i can give some useful tips in regards to performance or in how to find the bottleneck. 

thanks for your effort!

regarding your tasks: 1) i really dont think that there is a hardware upgrade required because it runs now, so if you did not change the hardware, it must be a software problem. 2) if its already running with php-fpm, i see no reason to switch except maybe consider using some caching (thats also one of the reasons i asked for the stack). if you run centos 7 i guess its php5. moving to php7 will absolutely improve performance, if the problem was a php problem. 4) i am very sure it was no problem with external resources because small snippets where loading very fast (png's etc.), but what was loading slow was everything related to .php 

and again, thanks. i also work fulltime as java dev, i know how hard it is to have projects running parallel  

@olze,

I work in IT as well, unfortunately my experience is with SCCM and application packaging, so I only have the bare minimum SQL experience, so would be unable to assist with this. I apologize if I offended you. It sounded like you were complaining and many amateur admins like to chime in because they have some experience hosting a Call Of Duty or Discord server and think they know everything. If you are a database admin, then obviously you do know what you are talking about and I am sure they would appreciate any help they can get. As Unleashed2k mentioned, he is trying to manage most of it on his own while working a full time job.  Again, my apologies if I offended you.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, olze said:

can you give some information about the tech stack which is in use? as mentioned in the other topic (which unfortunately has been closed) i am also admin of some sites with a couple of thousands users, even if people like @fenrirwulfcan not imagine that. maybe i can give some useful tips in regards to performance or in how to find the bottleneck. 

thanks for your effort!

regarding your tasks: 1) i really dont think that there is a hardware upgrade required because it runs now, so if you did not change the hardware, it must be a software problem. 2) if its already running with php-fpm, i see no reason to switch except maybe consider using some caching (thats also one of the reasons i asked for the stack). if you run centos 7 i guess its php5. moving to php7 will absolutely improve performance, if the problem was a php problem. 4) i am very sure it was no problem with external resources because small snippets where loading very fast (png's etc.), but what was loading slow was everything related to .php 

and again, thanks. i also work fulltime as java dev, i know how hard it is to have projects running parallel  

@olzeMySQL 8, PHP 7.4 + OpCache, redis

"Just remember: when something breaks, kick it as hard as you fucking can"

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

thanks. may i ask you if you restarted the server or the services? or what happened that this site runs now smooth again? did you ever use any APM software like retrace (what i would recommend, because you can just turn it on and wait until that wierd problem occurs again) ? 

I'm curious, why React for the Front-end? I've talked to you guys before about coming on and helping out but ran into an issue with having to divorce my wife (which is STILL ongoing thanks to Covid!). It's wrapping up this month, so I'll be free afterwards. I'm a big fan of plain JS and or something more structure like Angular for front end that has all of the built in routing and more that React just doesn't.

Great work overall and thank you!

• Developer

Hey @ElJefeVador

The reason why I personally prefer react over any other framework is exactly for that reason - it only comes bundled with the minimal amount of things you need. This keeps react very lightweight and focused on purely displaying information based on the state of the application. To me, this allows for as pure JS code as possible while still using a framework to hook into things like event loops.

To cover the routing, that is also partly where react is very nice. Instead of react having a specific idea of how you should do routing, they let you determine it yourself. That doesn't mean react doesnt have a preferred routing system though, there is React-Router (https://reactrouter.com/) which is maintained by nearly the same react dev team. They just keep it as a separate project so you can choose which things ya need and have no extra fluff. This is really good because sometimes you can create react apps without even needing the router, such as a simple single page app.

• Like 2

Hey there @Unleashed2k!

I would like to volunteer to help out with Discord Moderation if the need is still there. I have a lot of experience in managing Discord servers and have plenty of time to dedicate to ensure all rules and policies that Admins have set in place. If this role still needs filled please feel free to reach out to me on Discord SpicyCherrySoda#5228

Many Thanks,

ScS

• 2 weeks later...