Sections don't show up?

Cat With A Mustach

Question

I added sections to my song in EoF, however once I open it up in Rocksmith, the sections are 'invisible'. Nothing shows. Also, when I open up the riff repeater, it let's me go to the sections, however like I said, there is nothing there. Not even the small yellow bar at the bottom of a section shows up. Any help?

19 answers to this question

When there are too many phrases in the song (more than 100), the difficulty bars are not displayed in RS (RS2014 issue or limit)

So if you used DDC to create DD, simply generate again the DD with a higher value for the "Phrase Length" parameter (4 instead of 2, for example).

Hope that helps ...

Is there a guide somewhere on how to properly do sections and phrases? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who finds it confusing and makes messed up CDLC as a result.

Assuming one is going to do the DDC generator thing, could you please explain the best way to do it? I've had some confusion over which is which between phrases and sections, so I've just been putting a phrase and a section together every time (in pairs).

I really want to do it right.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

Hi,

With EOF, you can add sections and phrases.

Each section is divided in one or many phrases.

Sections are generally indicated on the partition (or the tab) :

- intro

- verse

- chorus

- bridge

- outro

The same section name can appear many times in the same song.

The phrases are used to identify the same sequence of notes and are usually from 2 or 4 measures length.

If you use DDC to create the Dynamic Difficulties, the names of sections and phrases are not important (for example, I always use the same name for all my phrases in a song).

For DDC, the most important thing is the start measure for each section and phrase (always define a section or a phrase on the main beat of a measure).

To define a section in EOF :

- Select the main beat of the start measure (vertical bar)

- Use [beat][Rocksmith][Place RS Section]

- Select the name of the section

- Click on the [OK] button

To define a phrase in EOF :

- Select the main beat of the start measure (vertical bar)

- Use [beat][Rocksmith][Place RS Phrase]

- Set the name of the phrase

- Click on the [OK] button

To review the sections and phrases already created :

- Use [beat][All Events] to review all sections and phrases in the song

- Use [beat][Events] to review local section and phrase of the selected beat

• Like 1

When there are too many phrases in the song (more than 100), the difficulty bars are not displayed in RS (RS2014 issue or limit)

So if you used DDC to create DD, simply generate again the DD with a higher value for the "Phrase Length" parameter (4 instead of 2, for example).

Hope that helps ...

But I don't quite get it. I have well under 100 sections, 6 to be exact. Why would it do this then?

Hope that helps ...

But I don't quite get it. I have well under 100 sections, 6 to be exact. Why would it do this then?

Sections are divided into phrases. By default, DDC generates one phrase for two adjacent measures.

Each phrase is displayed as a vertical bar.

The RS limit is only about the display.

You can check how many phrase iterations you have by opening the XML file with a text editor and looking at the "phraseIterations" tag.

Hey Cat, have you got a pic of what you're seeing??

Currently (in my experience), only a marked section is individually selectable/manageable in RR. Is this the Section's primary/only function? This is confusing for me because I keep reading that the Section is like a marker for parts of the song, like a label and nothing more. But it's actually tied to RR usage and function yet that part is'nt spoken about.

There's no point marking a 24 bar solo as a single "Solo" section because 24 bars is just too long to practically use in RR...

So the alternative is to mark several 'solo' sections so they all appear independently in RR. Is this the right way to do it? Just keep using the same section name for as many manageable RR pieces you need to make it practical to learn?

But then there's the phrase issue - Are you meant to just mark a phrase because you have a section the same size?

Or can phrases be much longer than sections - given they are supposed to identify similar groups of notes?

What if none of the notes are similar (like a solo), do you make one phrase for the entire solo because nothing is similar? Or do you mark phrases to match your sections?

Maybe this can clear up the confusion:

The Sections are for the Riff Repeater -- this decides how many sections and how long they are.

The Phrases are for Dynamic Difficulty. All similar phrases will level up at the same time. This way you only have to reach 100% on a chorus section ONCE -- all the other choruses (if they're marked as the same phrase) will level up too.

The only relationship between the two is that they have to both be marked at the same place. I'm pretty sure you do not have to set a phrase for each section  -- but sections without phrases will be ignored by the Dynamic difficulty.

Basically, the Sections "name" the sections and the Phrases link together similar section names.

For complicated passages, you can make as many sections as you need to. Even just one or two measures for really complicated/fast stuff. You can mark these to apply only to the track in question (the lead part). And you can map out different RR sections for each track.

This is where we customs builders get to thumb our nose at the official DLC. Because the sections in official songs are always TOO LONG. And since the Riff Repeater doesn't allow us to set our own loop points, creating many small sections is our best workaround.

I think it's unlikely we'd run up against the 100 section limit in a typical 4-5 minute song.

Make sure you've selected the beat marker for the new section (I believe I have successfully created sections on secondary beats but it's probably best to stick to the first beat in the measure. I've also rewritten certain sustain notes to make sure there's no overhang between sections. I think the Toolkit doesn't like these

• Like 1

Hypothetically, if I created a song with only sections and no phrases, would DDC:

• Create phrases within the sections? If so:
  • Would it match the similar phrases together so that maxing one would max the other automatically?

- Billkwando

So then I only need to create the sections? Yes/No?

Also, I did see that page and it's pretty awesome as far as explaining it.....but then again I thought I understood it the past 2 or 3 times I read an explanation, and this time I wanted to remove all doubt.

Thanks for everything! :D

- Billkwando

http://i60.tinypic.com/16m0w03.png

As you can see here, I have sections marked on the Editor

http://i57.tinypic.com/25tvyc3.png

However here, they are invisible, but I can still select them. I tried adding more sections within the same part of the song. Still nothing worked. This is WITHOUT DDC. WITH DDC, its the same thing, but the single yellow bar at the end of the RR is gone.

So then I only need to create the sections? Yes/No?Also, I did see that page and it's pretty awesome as far as explaining it.....but then again I thought I understood it the past 2 or 3 times I read an explanation, and this time I wanted to remove all doubt.Thanks for everything! :D

DDC will work with either :- no section and no phrase- sections only- sections and phrasesIt is recommended to create at least the sections for the Riff Repeater.When the phrases automatically created by DDC are not good enough, you can define your own phrases to force your own starting points for each of them.

http://i60.tinypic.com/16m0w03.png

As you can see here, I have sections marked on the Editor

http://i57.tinypic.com/25tvyc3.png

However here, they are invisible, but I can still select them. I tried adding more sections within the same part of the song. Still nothing worked. This is WITHOUT DDC. WITH DDC, its the same thing, but the single yellow bar at the end of the RR is gone.

Can you share the whole project ?

I'm betting the problem is that you didn't remove the Rocksmith difficulty limit - you're working on the "Amazing" level, which Rocksmith doesn't recognize. Go to the track options -- Rocksmith --> remove difficulty limit, then see what happens.

EOF might flash a warning afterwards, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. You can also copy all the notes, then paste them into the new Rocksmtih level ( I always work on level 4, but I don't think that matters).

• Like 1

I didn't even know that was a thing! I bet that's part of the problem with mine too!

- Billkwando

I'm betting the problem is that you didn't remove the Rocksmith difficulty limit

This only matters if you're authoring multiple difficulties in EOF instead of using DDC, or if you leaving the difficulties named as they are by default and are authoring notes in the "BRE" difficulty, which won't export to XML. The reason for this is that when authoring charts for the Rock Band style of rhythm games, the "BRE" difficulty isn't used to author a playable difficulty, it's for notating things like drum fills and "Big Rock Endings" which is basically a bonus score button spam fest you can put at the end of songs. The act of removing the difficulty limit tells EOF that you are authoring for Rocksmith and not Rock Band so that difficulty can be treated like a regular track difficulty and have its notes exported.
  • Like 1