Author sustained chord with a hammer-on?

mrmaton

Question

You could try it this way:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/raynebc/chordwithhammeron_zps31b79ee3.jpg

In order to force the sustains in that 9-9-9 chord to display, apply the "sustain" status to the chord (you could use a tech chord for that, but that's not necessary). Since you want the fretting to change part-way through, the best and possibly only way to author this in EOF is to author it as a second chord (11-9-9) and use linknext to have the A and D strings combine the notes from the two chords so they are each played once instead of twice. If you use tech notes to apply the linknext status, it won't affect the low E string, and the note head for the hammer on should be displayed. The linknext status in effect on the first chord causes the following chord to be broken up into single notes during export, so you don't have to worry about placing the sustain status on it. You do want the hammer on status to apply to the note on the E string though, so use a tech note to apply that. The resulting XML looks like it should have the desired results:

<chord time="0.500" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="0" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">          <chordNote time="0.500" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.250" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>          <chordNote time="0.500" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.250" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>          <chordNote time="0.500" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.250" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>        </chord>...        <note time="0.750" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.250" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>        <note time="0.750" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.250" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>        <note time="0.750" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.250" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you (once again)...

That looks awesome...

Maybe a little over my head considering I just used standard bend tech notes for the first time today... However,

Is there UI support in EoF for adding 'status' tech notes? I don't remember seeing those in the examples of the Tech Notes thread (but that could just be my memory failing)..

How do you get those in there?

Is it a direct xml edit?

Or is there another key combo (like the Ctrl+B for assigning T/N bend numbers) that allows 'status' inputs??

EDIT:

Of course there is :shock:

Just hit "N" after placing the tech note and it brings up the "edit pro guitar note" option box, then just select the option/status you want to apply to the tech note (linknext / ho / po / etc...)

Question: within that option box the default fret position is entered as '0'... does this need to change to reflect the fret position of the original note under the tech note?

And, do the original notes (under the tech notes) have to be marked as ho/po still, or doesn't it matter due to the tech note taking over?

I'm hoping something like this will work.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8c0xkgkzug4gnc/EoF-TechChord_HO-PO.jpg

The fret values of tech notes are ignored completely, you don't have to change any of those unless you have that dialog open and want to expand the tech note to include any other strings at that time stamp. In the previous example, hammer on was applied with a tech note, because if you applied it to the 11-9-9 chord, that technique could end up being applied to the A and D strings. I don't know how that would look in-game considering the notes are linked to the previous ones on those strings.

The example in your last post looks like it will work to make a regular sustain on the B string that coincides with a note on the G string that hammers on and them pulls off.

hmm, well, not exactly as expected in game (probably something I've done wrong)..

Does it matter where the status TN's are placed on the note under them? I assumed they can be placed anywhere on the tail...

The above example seems to be displaying the third B-string note head just in front of the G-string PO icon...(Both 9th fret)

I didn't apply "Sustain" status to the TN on the original B-string 9th fret note, just a linknext - can I assign multiple status via the 'edit note' box ? (ie. linknext + Sustain). Is that what I should have done?

These notes go by pretty fast at 100% speed, I tried slowing it down to 1% in RR to grab a screen shot and even that was tricky given the bad zoom and cluttered notes...

But here goes, this is what I currently see ingame from the above example..

Pic. 1:

1st B&G string appear together on the 9th fret - But have no tail/sustain?

G string HO appears correctly next - and has a short tail/sustain.

Pic. 2:

Next there is another 9th fret B string note head (I assume the 3rd from EoF) - No link status to previous? And I can't tell if it has a tail or not because..

The final G string PO appears right after the 9th fret B string note head. The final PO appears to have its own tail...

Make any sense of that???

Does it matter where the status TN's are placed on the note under them? I assumed they can be placed anywhere on the tail...

It shouldn't matter where the tech note is on the tail unless you are applying bend or stop status. 

The above example seems to be displaying the third B-string note head just in front of the G-string PO icon...(Both 9th fret)

Both notes are at the same timestamp, I'm guessing it's a side effect of Rocksmith's display system that it looks like they are at different timestamps because one note is drawn higher (vertically) than the other one.

I didn't apply "Sustain" status to the TN on the original B-string 9th fret note, just a linknext - can I assign multiple status via the 'edit note' box ? (ie. linknext + Sustain). Is that what I should have done?

Next hotfix will correct a bug so that linknext will also cause the chordnote's sustain to export. Otherwise you will probably have to apply sustain status to the first chord until then. You can assign as many statuses with one tech note that you want. 

Make any sense of that???

It's hard to tell what's going on in the pictures, but I don't know why there's a chord box in there. That shouldn't be in the XML file since linknext will remove the chords and replace them with single notes. Applying the sustain status to the first chord should correct the sustains being missing on the first notes.

Could it be they are too close together? I remember seeing a 'minimum note distance' in preferences of 3ms, and I'm trying to apply this technique on notes about 1ms apart....The XML is not seeing/listing the first note(s) in these groups... (I think) or at least that's what it looks like to me..

New pic: Same example with a wider view to see what's going on around it. Added TN sustains in the picture

This is how I read the XML:

14.135 = 11th fret A-string note head from slide

14.167 = 9th fret D-string single note head

14.597 = 11th fret G-string HO (second note in group - missing previous 9th fret @ aprox. 14.51s)

14.597 = 9th fret B-string w/ tech note linknext status applied

14.693 = 9th fret G-string PO (third note in group)

14.693 = 9th fret B-string without linknext status

14.957 = 11th fret D-string HO (also second note in this group- missing previous 9th fret to HO from)

14.957 = 9th fret G-string (same timestamp as the HO above - missing previous 9th fret linknext)

<note time="14.135" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.002" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.167" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.002" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.597" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.096" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.597" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.096" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.693" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.152" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.693" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.152" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.957" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.332" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.957" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.332" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>

Now, I know all the notes I see in EoF appear in game, but they aren't all listed in the XML - ??????

Or maybe they're written somewhere else - I just looked at the first instance of notes and timestamps.

Sorry to drag this out ray - just trying to wrap my head around it...

Does the XML output make sense given the EoF timeline? Is that what you'd expect?

The XML looks incomplete, I'd probably have to have the project file in order to test with it. On the first 9-9 double stop in the picture, the note on the G string won't sustain because it doesn't have the sustain status applied to it, the tech note only adds that status to the B string. You can apply the sustain status to the regular chord instead of with tech notes. The same issue applies to second to last chord in the picture.

ok, thanks....

Sent you a PM with a link to my project - Please take a look at it if you have time....

There are many, many more of these types of HO/PO's throughout the piece, It'd be nice to know what's going on with the difference between my EoF view and my XML output....

Thanks again.

Looking at the full XML file you sent me, it looks like I'd expect:

I think it would be up to the toolkit developers to say if Rocksmith is unable to display that example properly. I think they'd mentioned that Rocksmith doesn't like two single notes that start at the same position, and if they can confirm that, I may be able to come up with a workround (ie. if a chord is broken up into single notes because the previous note had linknext status, the linked chordnotes can be moved by a millisecond or so so that the broken up chord notes are at different timestamps).

Ahh, didn't know about the chord time/chord note entries further down :oops:

So, currently, they are just too close together?

Wonder if I could make those notes further apart without being too far out of sync with the song - Do they need to be more than 1ms apart? Or will I just need to test it to find out???

It's not that they're too close together, the way EOF is writing that to XML may not be something Rocksmith supports, I posted to an ongoing ticket about it to see what the toolkit developers think. I may have to have EOF do something more unusual here and convert the multiple linked notes into a one long single note if they overlap any other notes, just so it will work in-game.

Wow..... Thanks for looking into it...

To be honest, I can't believe this issue isn't more popular (i.e. editing single string alterations within a sustained multi-string chord)

I did notice that if it had of worked as expected, (and I think you mentioned this before), it would make the highway even harder to read at speed... which is something I wasn't originally thinking about while focusing on the accuracy of the chart....

I'll revert to my old "Safe" state of an original chord followed by single string/note HO/PO's and just hope if people want to play it, they hear that there's a difference and adjust accordingly.

Thanks again for your help, advice, and patience....

Cheers,

D.

I did notice that if it had of worked as expected, (and I think you mentioned this before), it would make the highway even harder to read at speed... which is something I wasn't originally thinking about while focusing on the accuracy of the chart....

I think this is a Rocksmith limitation. I found myself 'dumbing down' my chart because I know it'll be unreadable in Rocksmith. Kind of a shame.

OK, probably what you'd expect, but not what I expected :unsure:

What I see when I select the 3-note passage as an arpeggio (1st: 2-note double stop, 2nd: single note HO, 3rd: single note PO)

PIC1

The typical chord box is removed, but the outer lanes are highlighted (assume this is the display for an arpeggio)

The original double stop 9th fret G-string note head is missing on the highway - the one I want to play - but it is expected and highlighted on the fretboard. This note also has a sustain tail from the original double stop position.

PIC2

The 2nd & 3rd notes (HO/PO) are displayed on the highway correctly with the correct note/technique heads and there own sustain tails (although the sustain is just drawn out manually on the notes in EoF, linknext or sustain status is not applied to any of these notes).

I would have liked to see the original double stop on the highway, maybe the arpeggio technique implies the 9th fret G-string is played with the 9th fret B-string, but for me (not knowing the game UI that well), it's not what I'd play on the first pass, that's for sure....

Oh, and another thing, the fretboard is telling me to use 3rd finger on the B-string and 2nd finger on the G-string on the double stop, even after I've set both of these to use 1st finger in EoF... WHY???? :???:

N.B. And obviously I have the game fretboard inverted to how it appears by default... Just more intuitive for me to read it like I'd read Tablature.

Yeah, I defined the fingering (F) "Edit note frets/fingering" on this double stop with '1' for both strings...

This is not the only instance where this happens throughout the tune, seems to happen on a lot of other double stops too (different strings).... But this is the first instance in the song.... I'll check them all....

Hi guys,

I am testing this and similar examples extensively but still without full resolution to the issue at hand.  Our findings will eventually make their way into a revised tech note tutorial.

mrmaton's example:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/SmithyAnvilStuff/Authoring%20chord%20with%20some%20linknext%20and%20some%20HOPO/mrmatonexample-E3withLinknextandHOPO-linknextnotremovingnoteheads_zpsf0f0d456.png

-->PROBLEM, looks almost as expected but this needs to be picked 3 times, not once since  linknext tech note is splitting chord into notes in XML as desired but not removing subsequent notehead in-game)

-->PROBLEM, after re-packing into a revised psarc file a few hours later the behavior in-game changed slightly, despite verified identical XML code. Now the linknext technote seems to have suddenly carried out it's dual role properly on the pull-off (i.e. Job 1: turn subsequent chord into notes in XML, Job 2: remove the note head on the subsequent note). See revised screenshot. This suggests, I think, the toolkit may benefit from some tweaking, as this seems to be a bug.

Here is the XML code that corresponds to both the above and below screenshot:

<note time="31.460" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.336" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="31.460" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.336" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="31.796" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.350" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="31.796" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.350" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <chord time="33.198" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="1" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">		  <chordNote time="33.198" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.348" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="33.198" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.348" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    </chord>

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/SmithyAnvilStuff/Authoring%20chord%20with%20some%20linknext%20and%20some%20HOPO/mrmatonexample-E3withLinknextandHOPO-linknextnotremovingnoteheads-2_zpsf5fca02b.png

Out of curiosity: .... mrmaton's example with no Linknext text notes (Looks different than above example but scored in-game exactly as the above example):

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/SmithyAnvilStuff/Authoring%20chord%20with%20some%20linknext%20and%20some%20HOPO/mrmatonexample-E3withNOLinknextandWITHHOPO_zps0132925c.png

Here is some other stuff I've been testing, which looks a bit too busy for my taste, but nonetheless proves that LINKNEXT and HO and PO tech notes work.

Berneer Example: G-Chord HOPO

PROBLEM: As with mrmaton's example, must re-pick entire chord

PROBLEM: On HO all open strings are to be re-picked but then for the PO, only the orange string is required to be re-picked, suggesting that the linknext text note to be applied to the PO time stamp is actually fulfilling it's role despite not doing so during the HO timestamp. This inconsistent behaviour by the game, suggests that there is a toolkit issue at hand.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/SmithyAnvilStuff/Authoring%20chord%20with%20some%20linknext%20and%20some%20HOPO/ChordwithHOPOandLinkNext-InGame_zpse925ec98.png

<note time="25.657" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="3" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.674" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="25.657" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.674" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="25.657" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.674" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="25.657" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.674" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="25.657" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.674" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="25.657" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="3" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.674" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="26.331" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.672" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="26.331" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.672" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="26.331" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.672" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="26.331" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.672" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="26.331" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.672" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="26.331" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.672" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		 <chord time="24.984" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="3" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">		  <chordNote time="24.984" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.673" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="24.984" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.673" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="24.984" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.673" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="24.984" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.673" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="24.984" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.673" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="24.984" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.673" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    </chord> 

Berneer Example: G-Chord POHO

PROBLEM: Same. The side view shows all sustains behaving as we'd want them too

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/SmithyAnvilStuff/Authoring%20chord%20with%20some%20linknext%20and%20some%20HOPO/ChordwithPOHOandLinkNext-InGame_zps2173588a.png

<note time="22.157" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.157" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.157" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.157" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.157" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.157" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.897" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="3" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.897" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.897" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.897" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.897" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="22.897" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="3" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <chord time="21.417" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="2" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">		  <chordNote time="21.417" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="3" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="21.417" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="21.417" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="21.417" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="21.417" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="21.417" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="3" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.740" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    </chord>

Note that we are seeing a trend in all 3 examples in this post: The second chord (the one affected by the first linknext tech note) forces us to re-pick all strings in the chord, whereas the third chord (the one affected by the second linknext tech note) works as desired and doesn't require us to re-pick all of the chords strings.

I'll update the toolkit bug report in the afternoon with some of these findings and I guess we'll have to wait to hear what they have to say.

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

My immediate concern is that the linked notes don't have their note head hidden and require being played again. I don't know if it's an issue because these are multiple single notes (on different strings) defined at the same timestamp, whether the linked notes are meant to overlap non linked notes, or some other issue.

In the screen capture immediately above this, the three open strings are meant to sustain all the way through but had to be authored as linked notes due to long standing rules enforced in EOF (notes can't overlap other notes on the same lanes). If it helps, I can have EOF try to identify consecutive linked notes on the same string and combine them into fewer, longer notes. I haven't heard from anybody whether that would work, but if they can craft some XML and test it, it would be good to know if that is an option.

Is it a limitation of RS thay any note after a linknext note is seen as a 'tie' & therefore omits the notehead?

i.e. It 'assumes' the next note is a right hand pick tehnique..

If possible, would EoF be able to negate this faulty logic and omit HO/PO's from linknext status - as they are always going to be a left hand technique, & IMO should always be displayed with a note/technique head regardless of what preceeds them..

i.e. Even a single string HO which has linknext applied to the starting note will omit the following HO note head... This is wrong IMO.

Our understanding of the linkNext mechanism is that the note head is supposed to be hidden because the note is combined with the previous note on that string, but this clearly has some limitations or otherwise isn't working the way we expect based on examples in this thread. EOF shouldn't need to override linkNext status based on the techniques applied, it will be up to the chart author to transcribe it the way he/she wants.

OK, as promised I elaborated and edited my earlier post up above.

My immediate concern is that the linked notes don't have their note head hidden and require being played again. I don't know if it's an issue because these are multiple single notes (on different strings) defined at the same timestamp, whether the linked notes are meant to overlap non linked notes, or some other issue.In the screen capture immediately above this, the three open strings are meant to sustain all the way through but had to be authored as linked notes due to long standing rules enforced in EOF (notes can't overlap other notes on the same lanes). If it helps, I can have EOF try to identify consecutive linked notes on the same string and combine them into fewer, longer notes. I haven't heard from anybody whether that would work, but if they can craft some XML and test it, it would be good to know if that is an option.

OK thanks for the info raynebc. I guess we'll see what the developers have to say.

I'm willing to test what you describe in your last sentence, but am not too sure what exactly you recommending from an XML perspective. If you can elaborate a bit I'd be happy to perform any tests you would like to help facilitate your "job".

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

Our understanding of the linkNext mechanism is that the note head is supposed to be hidden because the note is combined with the previous note on that string, but this clearly has some limitations or otherwise isn't working the way we expect based on examples in this thread. EOF shouldn't need to override linkNext status based on the techniques applied, it will be up to the chart author to transcribe it the way he/she wants.

I have to admit, I haven't seen an official release with a chord or double stop in it that contains a HO/PO... I've only seen single string HO/PO's, so they've always shown the note head.

I still don't think HO/PO's should apply to linknext status because they will never achieve the desired outcome - i.e. be "combined with the previous note on that string". The desired outcome itself excludes HO/PO's because they will never be the same note and cannot be combined.

I guess I'm just looking for the easy way out, and I thought having HO/PO's excluded from linknext status would be easier and achieve the same result as making an original chord without linknext status, then manually having to apply linknext status to only the notes that stay the same via the use of tech notes.

I checked through my song for more double stops and found another three that I had missed, I don't recall setting fingering for them but they did have 2nd & 3rd fingers assigned instead of both strings using the 1st finger... These were at the end of the song though and not the first instance I spoke of before. I've changed them and now just have to repack and test in-game...

Thank you both for your time and help.