Working with many BPM changes in a song?

DeadlyPower

Question

19 answers to this question

You're going to have to get used to minor tempo changes throughout the song if you're syncing a recording.  Some parts of a song are going to be worse than others (and you may have to correct the tempo every couple of beats) but even in a good part of the song where the musicians are keeping in time you may need a correction every measure or two if you want your chart to be well synced.

@@DeadlyPower, you have to do the sync process from the first measure until the end. Sync the first one with the good bpm, then sync the second one, and so on....

When you change the BPM it applies to all following measures, the preceding ones are not impacted ...

To limit the work, try to sync first the main measures, in major cases the beats inside a measure will be synced automatically.

@@DeadlyPower, don't forget to define the time signature.

If the song is based on a 4/4 time signature, each measure is divided in 4 beats.

So, in this case, sync the first beat of the first measure (with the first note of the soundtrack), then set the BPM on the first measure, then adjust the first beat of the second measure, and so on until the end of the song ...

The notes stay in sync with the rhythm and that's the correct behaviour !

When you sync the beats correctly, the notes should be synced too ...

For all of my CDLCs, I only sync the measures and beats with the soundtrack, so I can remove all notes and reimport them (with GP import) and they are automatically synced with the rhythm and the soundtrack.

If you want more help, you can share your project (GP tab + ogg) 

@@Chlipouni when i move the beat of one note in place it takes the rest out of place.. i can message you those files if you want, but what im trying to say is say i have a breakdown thats in sync, the chorus after it is out of sync, so when i go to move the chorus in sync it brings the breakdown out of sync.

@@DeadlyPower I think you need to anchor the beats you manually sync (A key toggles, check under the Beat menu for other options).  

It's been a while since I've tried to sync a beatmap (someone please jump in if I'm misrepresenting how this all works), but I believe the general idea is that it won't ever move anchored beats from that specific  time stamp in the track.  All the beats that aren't anchored are sort of dynamic based on the time signature and tempo I believe.  If you have two anchored beats and you move the later beat around, it will compress or expand the unanchored beats, changing the tempo in that span between the two anchors.

In your case, assuming the breakdown comes before the chorus, and the chorus is already synced properly, if you were to anchor the first beat of the first measure of the chorus, you'd then be able to move beats around in the breakdown section without messing up the chorus sync.

I've never worked with a tab imported from some other program, so I'm not sure I can give too much useful advice there.  I have seen many people recommend syncing the beatmap before you import a tab/add notes to avoid causing the notes (rather than beats) to be out of sync though.  I've only ever charted from print style sheet/tablature, but I've still always done the beatmap first since it makes placing notes a lot easier.

If by "too slow" you mean like half or quarter speed, it may be that the time signature (and average bpm) between the beatmap you generated from the audio and the imported tab don't match.  At least one of the tutorials @@Rockfirstlast linked further up the thread I think covered how to compensate for that.  If it's less drastically slowed down than that but still more than just out of sync, I'm not sure what the issue might be.

Have you actually read any of these? Kudos to @@Rockfirstlast for linking to them.

My suggestion would be to read them in full before posting further questions. Not trying to be mean... but you'd know the answer to all of the questions that you've been asking if you were to read these :) Knowledge is power!

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs