Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

Single note handshapes have probably been possible for a long time as long as you used ghost gems to account for the requirement that at least 2 different strings needed to be used within the span of a handshape phrase. As of a couple hotfixes ago, EOF would automatically add a ghost note for you if necessary.

Chord boxes within handshapes are not supported yet.

• Like 1

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1435) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Improved error handling of fret hand position generation.

*Fixed a bug caused by r1430 that would prevent the claps sound cue from working for non pro guitar tracks.

*Fixed a bug where the resnap function would incorrectly warn that notes would be combined if they were too close to notes in other difficulties.

*Fixed a bug where downward pitched/unpitched slides could have the wrong end of slide position set if the lowest used string had a higher fret value than other strings.

*Changed fixup logic to not automatically deselect the selected note.

Is there a way to copy and paste the changing tone sequence from an arrangement to another one ?

I can probably come up with something.

Is there a way to copy and paste the changing tone sequence from an arrangement to another one ?

I can probably come up with something.

One thought that comes to mind is that you could make a checkbox or something when setting up the tone change so that it also applies to the other guitar track. Sort of like how sectioning works, but not just either "this track only" or "all tracks".

While I'm here, I have another question. When I copy and past arpeggios from one guitar track to another, it copies the ghost notes but doesn't seem to copy the "arpeggio bar" of blue in the EoF file. Does this mean that the actual arpeggios aren't copied over (as in, they won't show up the same way in game)? I've always just set the arpeggios again to be sure they're set (I don't have a guitar so I can't easily check whether it would work or not if I didn't), but it would be nice to avoid that work if possible on some long sections that repeatedly switch between a few different arpeggios. So, if arpeggios don't copy over when copy-pasted, is there a way to make it so that they do?

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Updated to r1435 and I have a few questions.

Here are some screens of what I encountered.

What I want

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32KyRnB4SVMzQ3REbmc/view?usp=sharing

Error message on saving.  I could not determine whether it was my handshape phrase causing it because the green play bar was on the first chord in the arrangement, not the handshape.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32KyRURURFhxM2VVbEE/view?usp=sharing

After I click OK

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32KydkpUakpNTENzWk0/view?usp=sharing

Even weirder, I fired up r1409 again and loaded the saved project.  That displayed the missing chord notes...  go figure.

Have some project files in case it helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32KydUtXTHc1SnJ4Vnc/view?usp=sharing

I see in official DLC that you can have a full chord box at the beginning of a handshape (arpegiating some notes from the same chord during the handshape), which is my desired effect.

Thanks.

One thought that comes to mind is that you could make a checkbox or something when setting up the tone change so that it also applies to the other guitar track. Sort of like how sectioning works, but not just either "this track only" or "all tracks".

Text events (which includes RS phrases/sections) are a little different in that internally to EOF, they are global (chart wide) whereas tone changes are stored on a per-track basis. Adding one and applying it to all tracks would involve duplicating it from one track to another. Adding enough controls to specify which other tracks it gets added to (especially since bass tracks can be used as guitar tracks and vice versa) probably isn't worth the amount of time it would take to program, but a blanket copy tones from one track to another shouldn't be too bad.

So, if arpeggios don't copy over when copy-pasted, is there a way to make it so that they do?

Not at this time for individual arpeggios. Statuses that individually apply to notes copy over with notes, but technique phrases don't. There is a "copy from" function that allows arpeggios to be copied over from another track, but nothing so specific as to copy from one track difficulty to another track difficulty.

Updated to r1435 and I have a few questions.

Here are some screens of what I encountered.

There's something very glitchy going on with the handshape logic. When RS2 export aborts, some of the notes are left in an unstable state (ie. chords within arpeggios broken up into single notes) and don't get put back to normal so I'm guessing EOF's regular cleanup logic destroys them. I'm finding that re-opening the project file after the first save attempt (the one that bricks the chart) brings up the full chart normally. Saving after the chart is already bricked is a bad idea because that will save the chart with the notes having been removed. I need to work on this some more later today.
  • Like 1

What made it abort?  That's the first thing I would like to pin down.

I have worked on the project and have it in a state with zero handshapes/arpeggios, and completely stable.  If it helps I can upload it, then you can add handshapes at will to track the problem?

Also, "glitchy" is an understatement.  I edited my last post a few times so it would make sense.  Very strange things were happening that I could not type out succinctly.

What I plan to do though, seeing as I really would like some nice handshapes, is roll back EoF until I can get it working.  Then at least you know where the change happened, or can narrow it down.  Will take a few days though as I still need to work out some of the tabs and I want a release version more than handshapes :D

Edit -

Here is the updated project.  Just for ease of adding handshapes...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32KySXhjZVdDY1BLVVU/view?usp=sharing

Also, I had a thought.  Is it to do with the crazy staus of notes (gems)?  I'm not 100% but I seem to recall the first save of this project going well, it was only saving again after more work that it started to france up.

Point being, you add handshape to normally placed (imported or right clicked notes with no crazy) notes and it saves.  It's only when it tries to save handshapes with notes that are already crazy (because of rprevious saves or manually adding) that problems occur?  Just a thought, had to get it out :D

Have fun :D

I've fixed it. It was a mistake I made recently to use a larger clean up function to resolve fret hand position issues (ie. multiple at same timestamp) during RS2 export, but this function clobbered portions of the chart where chords were broken up into individual notes (arpeggios/handshapes). I've changed the Rocksmith logic and the updated that clean up function to prevent this from ever being able to happen again.

I was just thinking about things that might be useful to me, and started thinking about how slides are imported into Rocksmith. I have a couple of ideas (apologies if these are features I'm unaware of).

The first was whether it would be possible to have an option to import slides as unpitched rather than pitched when importing from GP files. I feel like usually when there's a slide I want it to be unpitched rather than pitched (a la this section of Aces High), with the main exception being when there's a slide into a sustained note (with no picking on the new note), which I usually have to stop and fix anyway with a linknext and such. Another reason for this is also that pitched slides often aren't adjusted for hand positions (whereas this doesn't really matter for unpitched slides), which can make for some awkward transitions (i.e. when the the 4th finger is used to slide down to a subsequent 1st finger fret).

The second was whether it would be possible for slides off of sustained notes with ties to be imported as the first note linknexted to the last one, then a slide off of that (so it would be a sustain then slide rather than a slow slide). That is, if I had a GP file that had something like (parentheses indicates tied note)  5---(5)\-2 that it would import as a, say, quarter note 5 linknexted to an eighth note 5 with a slide down to the second fret. But if it were a dotted quarter 5 instead it would still import as a slower slide down.

Would either of these be possible? They'd really make my life a lot easier when trying to polish CDLC. Thanks!

• Like 1

I got the impression that the program is properly recognizes 7/8 time signature.

That is, of course, she writes 7/8, but the music at the same time does not correspond to the tablature.

Hopefully fix :(

This isn't enough information, please further describe the issue. It will be expected that you still have to manually sync beat markers because tablature is not going to be accurate enough to reflect a recorded performance of the song.

The first was whether it would be possible to have an option to import slides as unpitched rather than pitched when importing from GP files. I feel like usually when there's a slide I want it to be unpitched rather than pitched (a la this section of Aces High), with the main exception being when there's a slide into a sustained note (with no picking on the new note), which I usually have to stop and fix anyway with a linknext and such.

Are you talking about a preference to import ALL normal slides (not involving linknext) as unpitched?

Another reason for this is also that pitched slides often aren't adjusted for hand positions (whereas this doesn't really matter for unpitched slides), which can make for some awkward transitions (i.e. when the the 4th finger is used to slide down to a subsequent 1st finger fret).

Certain special cases can be really complicated for EOF to automatically account for. Marking the finger number used for some notes may help, but if not, manual editing of fret hand positions may always be necessary for getting a particular result.

The second was whether it would be possible for slides off of sustained notes with ties to be imported as the first note linknexted to the last one, then a slide off of that (so it would be a sustain then slide rather than a slow slide). That is, if I had a GP file that had something like (parentheses indicates tied note) 5---(5)\-2 that it would import as a, say, quarter note 5 linknexted to an eighth note 5 with a slide down to the second fret. But if it were a dotted quarter 5 instead it would still import as a slower slide down.

EOF is meant to import the tablature how it's authored in the file, and this technique should be able to be authored in Guitar Pro. If you have a GP file where EOF doesn't import it as expected, please send it to me for testing.

@@albatross213 - just learn the hotkeys in EoF, that stuff takes seconds when you know the keyboard shotcuts.

CTRL + [up Arrow]                (if an up slide exists then this disables it)

CTRL + [Down Arrow]           (if a down slide exists then this disables it)

CTRL + U                              (if it already has an unpitched slide value, then delete the number in the box to disable it)

SHIFT + N                              (enable/disable linknext)

Easy.

@@PC Plum - I know all of those commands. It's just that it's incredibly annoying when there's 100 slides (might be an exaggeration, but it also might not) throughout the song, and for each one I have to scroll to it, select it, use those commands, then move on to the next one. Of course copy and paste can also be used for repetitive things and that cuts down on the tedium somewhat, but I still feel like there has to be a better way.

@@raynebc - Yeah, I'm talking about an option to import all slides as unpitched. I feel like most of the time (at least in the songs I've charted so far) slides are better interpreted as a loose connection between different parts of the fretboard (as in the Maiden example I used) rather than a "this particular finger goes from here to here" command, which is how the pitched slides end up.

As for whether things like that can be authored in Guitar Pro, I'm pretty sure I tried to do something like that (tie then slide down) in GP recently and it was just imported as a long slow slide. Then again I think there were other times when I did something like a slide down into a tie and that imported how I wanted it to. I'll definitely look into it more thoroughly, and if I find it doesn't behave how I'd like I'll post some files showing how it turns out vs. how I hoped it would turn out.

My standards are so high now that the vast majority of my "custom making" time is spent in EoF tidying up charts.  Scrolling through and changing stuff to your liking is part and parcel of the course :D

Another command that might help, which certainly helps me a lot since I learned it a few months ago, is SHIFT + L.  Selects all like gems/chords.

It's not perfect in the sense that you will most likely still have to double check everything is to your liking, and it cannot distinguish between vibrato D5s and non vibrato D5s (for example), but it can save a heap of time and get the majority of the worload done through automation.

In fact, I think that if the SHIFT + L command was fine tuned more to be more picky about which gems/chords it was selecting that it would help you and me both :D

• Like 2

I think I would prefer adding a function that converted selected slide notes (only ones that already have slide status) into unpitched slides. This would allow the code to have usage outside of just Guitar Pro import. Let me know if that's close enough to what you're looking for.

Another command that might help, which certainly helps me a lot since I learned it a few months ago, is SHIFT + L. Selects all like gems/chords.

It's not perfect in the sense that you will most likely still have to double check everything is to your liking, and it cannot distinguish between vibrato D5s and non vibrato D5s

I can't reproduce this. When I have notes that are identical except for some having vibrato status, that technique is taken into account when "precise select like" is used. Can you provide a chart that behaves otherwise?
  • Like 1

I think I would prefer adding a function that converted selected slide notes (only ones that already have slide status) into unpitched slides. This would allow the code to have usage outside of just Guitar Pro import. Let me know if that's close enough to what you're looking for.

So, you're saying I could select a string of notes via Shift+Click (or Ctrl+A if trying to recreate what I was thinking with an import) and then press a button or key combo that could convert all of the slides from pitched into unpitched or vice versa? I can't see any way in which that wouldn't be considered a better option. Great thinking!

Also, thanks for the advice on selecting like notes. I'm not sure I can find the "precise select like" option, though, and I've looked in the settings, preferences, and song properties. In addition, would it be possible to summarize how precise it is with respect to fret position, technique (and even then, does it distinguish a 2 fret slide from a 5 fret slide, or different bend strengths, etc), and note duration? What changes when "precise select like" is or is not used? Thanks!

Edit: I think I noticed some things from GP import not behaving how I'd want them to with respect to slides with ties. I'll try and whip up some files to show what I'm experiencing vs. how I might have hoped it would imort.

Precise select like?

I do not know this, how can it be used?  I have not changed any setting to do with this so I was most likely using the non precise selct like.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Edit - Shift + L is precise select, CTRL + L is non precise.

I must have used CTRL + L without realising :(

• Like 1

@@raynebc - Alright, I made up a quick example (dropbox folder with GP tab, EoF file, and an ogg. Also, this shows the program saving the backups as .bak, rather than .eof. Is this intended?) of a couple of situations that don't import how I'd like them to (or how I think any reasonable person would expect them to). All of this is done with the latest hotfix.

The results of the imports are in "Part Real_Guitar_22", while what I intended in the GP are in "Part Real_Guitar"

The first, in measure 3, is intended to be a sustain into a pitched slide down which is sustained into the end note. After a rest, another note (up from the first) is played. This imports as a long slow slide over the total duration of the sustains up to the note that's played after the rest.

The second, in measure 5, is intended to be an immediate pitched slide down which is then sustained for a longer period at the end note of the slide. After a rest, another note (again, up from the first) is played. This imports precisely the same as the first example.

I hope this clarifies what I was getting at with how the imports of slides aren't really handled how I'd expect them to be when combined with sustains. Thanks for your help!

Also, this shows the program saving the backups as .bak, rather than .eof. Is this intended?)

Yes. There have been times where I believe people have been opening old backup copies of their chart and finding it doesn't have their latest changes. Changing the file extension of the backups should make it less likely people would do this unintentionally.

The first, in measure 3, is intended to be a sustain into a pitched slide down which is sustained into the end note. After a rest, another note (up from the first) is played.

Adding such special handling for rest notes inside of a slide probably isn't something I'm going to do. This seems like an abnormal way to notate what should be two different slides. I will look into why the slide isn't being started from the tied note as would be expected.

Edit: I've fixed the logic regarding tie notes with a technique change.

• Like 1

Adding such special handling for rest notes inside of a slide probably isn't something I'm going to do. This seems like an abnormal way to notate what should be two different slides. I will look into why the slide isn't being started from the tied note as would be expected.

Edit: I've fixed the logic regarding tie notes with a technique change.

Regarding the first paragraph - the example actually doesn't have anything to do with the rests. The same would have happened if it was a slide down from 5 to 2, then immediately after the 2 a 4, which would have been imported as a slide from 5 to 4 from what I've seen. I think I just put the rest there so there might be a plausible reason why you'd go to a higher fret after a slide down (and a higher fret rather than lower just to be dramatic or something).

But based on the edit it sounds like things may have been fixed. Thanks! You're awesome!  :D