Rocksmith Violin Project

Daikano

• Like 1

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

Here's a quick & crappy playthrough video (2 emails! Oh noes!)

Getting more misses than I think I should. Not sure what the deal is yet. :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5q7p2w_rocksmith-mandolin-demo-r-e-m-you-are-the-everything_videogames

- Billkwando

- Billkwando

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

• 8 months later...

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that I've added tunings for this porjects including viola, cello and ukulele  according to your formula :)

Keep up but I don't see of you much recently :(

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how to put a violin filter in ignition ? I'd be down to make violin tabs since I can also test them in rsmith14 

I asked this in discord recently, there isn't a way to do this currently with ignition.  I have done CLDC for a couple of the Suzuki book 1 songs but haven't put them on ignition

Maybe we can agree on a standard for categorizing violin songs (Path = Bass / Tuning = Other)  or put (vln) at the end of the title or album?

I don't think I'll be producing quality enough CLDC to upload yet, I'm more focused on learning this instrument atm... but it would be cool to be able to find more content

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I'm new at CDLC, downloaded some psarc files yesterday, replaced Cherub Rock with a DLC I already owned, using the toolkit, and everything is working, awesome!

Now, my son is playing cello and would like to use RS as well, is there a list of cello psarc files?

regards
RdGkA 

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that I've added tunings for this porjects including viola, cello and ukulele  according to your formula :)

Keep up but I don't see of you much recently :(

Did you add one for mandolin? :p :p :p ;)

Hello!

I'm new at CDLC, downloaded some psarc files yesterday, replaced Cherub Rock with a DLC I already owned, using the toolkit, and everything is working, awesome!

Now, my son is playing cello and would like to use RS as well, is there a list of cello psarc files?

regards

RdGkA 

Cello there!

(sorry, that's the most I have to contribute)

- Billkwando

@@Billkwando mandolin is going to be Viola @1760 tuning according to your custom :)

It should be the same as Violin, from my understanding. :)

- Billkwando

Sorry, but I was reading a few pages back, and you guys were talking about Synthesia, I wanna let you know I've been exporting RS customs to GP with RStoTab exporter, then exporting the GP to MIDI in Tuxguitar, and then letting the MIDI play in Synthesia.

I then record it and put in on youtube, so now you have full guitar tabs on piano :p (if anyone is intrested in that) 

Currently I have 230-ish Synthesia vids, and I think I've run out of prerecorded vids. (Don't have synthesia installed anymore)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiryHEqHQZQ3ygvwlvLuKqMPOhL8_xMOZ

• Like 1

Check out my Custom Inlays topic here

Customize those dots at fret 3, 5, 7,... with your favourite band logo!

Check out my Youtube channel here

Rock, Punk and Metal Rocksmith playthroughs, Just Dance Audio Swaps and Synthesia Piano Plays

Rise Against DG - ADTR DG - Enter Shikari DG

Beartooth DG - Senses Fail DG - Just Dance Topic

• 2 years later...
On 3/18/2018 at 3:35 PM, Alex360 said:

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that I've added tunings for this porjects including viola, cello and ukulele  according to your formula 🙂

Keep up but I don't see of you much recently 😞

Hey @Alex360thanks for this!

I might be next in line to pick this up and push the boundary a little.

I haven't tried the Cello 880Hz tuning in game, but the 440Hz Cello didn't seem to work for me.  The D string wouldn't register in the tuner.  Using OP's Elanor Rigby, the tuner worked fine.

I noticed that neither Cello selection in the toolkit matches OP's tuning settings.  This is OP's for reference.  Is there something more I should learn about the tuning XML format?

OP's Elanor Rigby Cello

<ToneA i:nil="true" />
      <ToneB i:nil="true" />
      <ToneBase>Violin</ToneBase>
      <ToneC i:nil="true" />
      <ToneD i:nil="true" />
      <ToneMultiplayer></ToneMultiplayer>
      <Tuning>Cello @880</Tuning>
      <TuningPitch>882.04</TuningPitch>
      <TuningStrings xmlns:d4p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/RocksmithToolkitLib.XML">
        <d4p1:String0>-4</d4p1:String0>
        <d4p1:String1>-2</d4p1:String1>
        <d4p1:String2>0</d4p1:String2>
        <d4p1:String3>2</d4p1:String3>
        <d4p1:String4>0</d4p1:String4>
        <d4p1:String5>0</d4p1:String5>
      </TuningStrings>

Toolkit's Cello 440 (did not work for me)

<Tuning>Cello @440</Tuning>
      <TuningPitch>440</TuningPitch>
      <TuningStrings xmlns:d4p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/RocksmithToolkitLib.XML">
        <d4p1:String0>8</d4p1:String0>
        <d4p1:String1>10</d4p1:String1>
      </TuningStrings>

Toolkit's Cello 880.  Is it important that the tuning pitch is set?

<Tuning>Cello @880</Tuning>
      <TuningPitch>440</TuningPitch>
        <d4p1:String0>-4</d4p1:String0>
        <d4p1:String1>-2</d4p1:String1>
      </TuningStrings>

I see that tuning pitch isn't included in the list of attributes.  Is this a feature we'd need to add?  Is that value necessary?
https://github.com/rscustom/rocksmith-custom-song-toolkit/blob/5a8cb74e44b15628f730ce7596d6887be526b1f8/RocksmithToolkitLib/RocksmithToolkitLib.TuningDefinition.xml#L166

I also noticed that OP had tonebase Violin, which might be a good default for Violin, Viola, and Cello.  Is this one built into the game or included in the psarc?  If it only requires naming the tone "Violin", maybe we could default to that tone if one of the orchestral string tunings is selected.  But that's a future feature request once I get more familiar and established here.

• Administrator

If you don't adjust the tuning frequency, you will be off on the octave you are playing.

This is necessary because RS don't allow for a tuning that is further than an octave from standard (+/-12) so if you want to go 14 above standard, you need to adjust the frequency to get a +12 offset (440Hz to 880Hz) and then add +2 from the tuning).

As for tone, that's not something that can be managed by default that easily especially since you could want to add some specific effect to it to fit the song if you are not doing a classical piece (see Apocalyptica that uses pedalboard with their cello).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

17 hours ago, cr3034 said:

tuning pitch isn't included in the list of attributes

that's a flaw, sure, I may break some backwards compatibility but may add centOffset into account so you don't need to manually set it, but let me know if I calculated something wrongly and let me know what's works and wat doesn't I would fix it for you, also TwoSetViolin fan here >___>

20 hours ago, firekorn said:

If you don't adjust the tuning frequency, you will be off on the octave you are playing.

This is necessary because RS don't allow for a tuning that is further than an octave from standard (+/-12) so if you want to go 14 above standard, you need to adjust the frequency to get a +12 offset (440Hz to 880Hz) and then add +2 from the tuning).

14 hours ago, Alex360 said:

that's a flaw, sure, I may break some backwards compatibility but may add centOffset into account so you don't need to manually set it, but let me know if I calculated something wrongly and let me know what's works and wat doesn't I would fix it for you

Thanks guys, I did more testing today.

I can confirm that it seems like the only Cello tuning that works is Cello at 880Hz.  I still don't quite get the integer offsets, is it number of scale half from the tuning frequency?  Doesn't seem to make sense since the frequency of the Cello strings are 65Hz to 220Hz.  Is it because there's some assumption about bass guitar in the system?

Is there another reference I can read to understand these values?

I can confirm that if I open up what few songs exist in the database for Cello, modify the tuning, and repackage, the tuner issues are fixed.  Is there a chance the underlying game changed in these past few years?

-------------------------------------------

I'm not 100% sure if what I reported to @Alex360 is a bug.  I see now that one must set the tuning frequency even though the preset says Cello 880Hz.  That's the part that's not very intuitive.  I see the advanced use case of a band set to standard tuning but at A445 for instance.  I would say take no action for now and I'll report on Github if I get to something actionable.  Maybe remove Cello 440Hz unless someone can explain why it's supposed to work, I double checked that I don't have something dumb like emulated bass on.

Although emulated bass would let the 1 Viola player who comes through in the next few years play cello parts on his Viola.   Nice.

As for tone, that's not something that can be managed by default

Yes, I see now that I think this is just a named description for "default tone" which is very few or no filters and just the raw sound.  I think the most common use case will be microphone to game, then turn off the mic in game so you don't get feedback.  Acoustic instruments far outnumber electric.

I was under the impression that some official DLC came out with an official sound that was "Violin".

add some specific effect to it to fit the song if you are not doing a classical piece (see Apocalyptica that uses pedalboard with their cello).

14 hours ago, Alex360 said:

also TwoSetViolin fan here >___>

If I say how lame the songs I'm doing are, then you guys will stop helping me.  🙂  I think (and it seems common) that most people who get into this project are newbies and probably coming from guitar or bass.  I have a few "simple songs" that are recognizable and come with a synthesized backing track.  I'm starting on these easier "toy examples"/"arrangements" so its more approachable and easier to play.  Although the dynamic difficulty seems to working extremely well with these.  Too bad I'm in the habit of turning every song difficulty all the way up.  XD

Once I feel comfortable, maybe I can work on or help someone with the crossover music.  I'll probably pick up a very cheap violin (monoprice violin anyone?) to help test those arrangements as well.  I'm starting from sheet music currently, so I'm living in a different world than most.  🙂  I'll get back to rockin' soon enough.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Rocksmith assumes that the guitar tuning reference is E std at A440 (A4 at 440Hz).

So the reference is E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4 when all strings are set to 0.

But bass on the other hand reference E std an octave lower with E1 A1 D2 G2 with all strings set to 0.

If you are not familiar with the note naming + octave convention, the rest will get tougher.

Cello are using C2 G2 D3 A3.

From the guitar reference, that gives :

-4 from E2 to C2

-2 from A2 to G2

0 from D3 to D3

+2 from G3 to A3

but then you have 2 unused strings on the display. This doesn't require you to alter the frequency of reference because there isn't any offset that is further than 12 semitone.

But from the bass reference that is an octave lower you get :

+8 from E1 to C2

+10 from A1 to G2

+12 from D2 to D3

+14 from G2 to A3

And here you end up with 2 value that are at 12 or more semitone away from the reference (but you don't get useless strings on the display). This then requires you to alter the A frequency to shift the reference.

When bass at A440 is E1 A1 D2 G2, bass at A880 is E2 A2 D3 G3. By doubling the frequency, you go up an octave. This then give you the same offset as you would on guitar (-4 -2 0 +2) but without the extra strings allowing it to work more efficiently in the game.

As for the @440 tuning in the toolkit, yes it's wrong, i don't recall who integrated it but it seems like it wasn't done all too well.

• Thanks 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

On 1/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, firekorn said:

As for the @440 tuning in the toolkit, yes it's wrong, i don't recall who integrated it

If you refer to cello @440 tuning it should work for guitar(I've added alternate instrument tunings based on info provided here + psarcs), but refer if your to general contOffset added it was me and FabianoSan who did major work for adding this to arrangement form... also naming and offset to Hz conversion was done by me.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, firekorn said:

but it seems like it wasn't done all too well

cent offset was introduced in rs2014 so adding this aspect to current system was a bit messy, therefore no centOffset were linked with tuning(also done so we won't complicate things beyond necessary(eof won't allow you to add this kind of info) I'm not aware of what root note used with bass as pitch-fork was standard a440 for me, sorry

maybe I should add mutation of the class or additional non necessary type to specify frequency or just lazy way it if name has @Hz in it set in in centOffset field :hmm:

• Administrator

Except that the tuning is wrong as my post explained, if you do it for guitar with A440, the tuning should be -4 -2 0 +2 0 0 but the tunning is defined as 8 10 0 2 0 0 which will have the lowest two string an octave higher than it should.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 1 year later...

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and I'm new to Rocksmith. I'm not good at playing musical instruments, but I'm a software programmer. I have created a program to convert midi to Rocksmith arrangements in XML. These files can be used by another program such as "Rocksmith 2014 DLC Builder" to create a psarc file.
This program can create arrangements for any stringed instrument that has 4 or 6 strings.
I have tried it with the violin, and the results have been satisfactory.
This is the link to my project:
https://gitlab.com/Alexander71229/miditorocksmithexport

Soon I will be publishing two psarc files for violin so you can see the result it produces.

• Like 1