Mixer

ikwtif

Question

Is there something wrong with the mixer option in RS2014? Feels like every time I play have to keep lowering the music volume to even hear my guitar. Some tones are so much louder than others too, in the same song. I don't get it. Even switching the musisc volume slider from 100 to 50 feels like it barely even makes a difference. 

9 answers to this question

Yeah I mostly play official songs because I want to get good at those first before diving into all the custom ones. I noticed this before too, but not this bad so I never really cared to make a post about it, but this happened with other songs too.

I'm currently playing Aerosmith - same old song and dance (lead part) and the riffs are like twice as loud as the solo part (when it switches to the solo amp)

EDIT: just alt tabbed back into the game, same song and the tones where just broken now. It wouldn't switch at all and was just a standard clean sound

Thats called the Rocksmith clean guitar bug, it happens.

Normally on customs, but it can happen any time really.  Don't think anyone has worked it out yet.

Just turn off the game and back on.  Maybe even do a full pc restart.

Once you load back up, check your mixer again.  And its probably an idea to calibrate again (hit Enter at the tuning screen).

Did that Aerosmith song play properly before, or has it always had big differences in sound (I haven't actually played that song on my Rocksmith...) ?

• Administrator

well on that song the distortion tone is louder than the lead tone :

But that's also the case in the original mix of the song in the first place so it kinda make sense to be like that in game in the end.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@PC Plum

It was always like this but really standed out when I lowered the music volume even more and it was still hard to hear the lead tone even tough the main tone was super loud. I already recalibrated my guitar to check if that didn't help so must be just the tones. 

@@firekorn

Thanks. Yeah sounds right. I'll check tomorrow again tough to be sure :D . I don't think it really makes sense that you can barely hear yourself play in a game that teaches you to play guitar. That's why I lowered music volume to like 70% when I started playing Rocksmith. I can only hope a next version might have an option to actually turn off the guitar track.

• Administrator

I usually put the music at 80 or 85% and i can clearly hear myself playing all the time. Make sure you have a good audio system with a good flat frequency response (some headphones around 100$ can be really wonderful).

Sometimes i have trouble differentiating what i do from the song itself and that's usually a good sign but if you do something wrong it will stand out way more and you will notice it if you aren't deaf.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

@firekorn 

well I have a beyerdynamic dt 770 pro. But I was playing on my stereo at the time, maybe why it standed out more as it's an old one. And yes, big mistakes stick out more, but I feel smaller mistakes are very hard to hear. I think I just might adjust the gain option in-game as I think I saw I have the gain option at like -1.5db. I assume this setting adjusts itself when you calibrate?

• Administrator

Yeah the gain is adjusted automatically during calibration, you can of course change it if you want but if you have a higher gain you'll end up with a higher output volume on all tone which might not be ideal overall.

About the DT770 pro, it has a lot of bass while treble might be a bit chaotic :

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf

You might wanna play a bit with an EQ to try to flatten that frequency response a bit. That will help the lead part to stand out since they are in the higher part of the frequency spectrum while rhythmic part are usually in the lower end which your headphones already boost.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

You can also raise the patch cord levels (your guitar volume itself)...you have to do this every time you start the game. (Will only work on PC version to my knowledge). Open the game, load it up as usual...alt+tab out of the game > right click the speaker/mixer icon on the lower right hand side of your windows toolbar (not sure what it is for mac) > click 'recording devices' > right click rocksmith cable and go to 'properties'> go to the levels tab at the top > I turn it up to 97 or so, the default is only 17. This will increase the guitar sound.