Fingering?

MVega

Question

I'm wondering -- do I need to specify fingering for every note?

EOF keeps complaining, gives me warnings about the fret positions every time I save. Then it tells me that a note is outside the range of the position, but doesn't tell me exactly which one.

I'm tempted to clear all the fingering and let the chips fall where they may...

6 answers to this question

It's a good idea to fill in chord fingerings.  Lucky for us this is automated now (mostly).

If EOF ask you something like "automatically fill in chord shape fingerings" (I forget the exact wording) you can press yes.  It'll take all the known chords and automatically fill in the fingering, which IS visible in-game.  It might miss funky chords if you have any.

After you've filled in the chord shape fingerings, press CTRL+SHIFT+F and click "generate fret hand positions".

Not only will the chart be easier to read in-game, but it'll get rid of all those warning messages every time you save.

I know how to do the fingering, it's that Rocksmith didn't agree with me :oops:

So yes, I cleared all of the fingering I'd done, then regenerated the fret hand positions - Rocksmith prompted me to fill in one chord shape it didn't recognize. Then I had to regenerate again, and it saved.

I'll make sure I have the automatic chord shape turned on - I believe I do.

For the next time: I just shouldn't bother adding in the fingering for single notes?

In many cases, using automated fingering and fret hand positions should be fine, unless you want to have fine control over how something looks in-game. If you decide to permanently add some to the project though, there are a couple of things you have to take into consideration. For example, if you have Rocksmith 1 export enabled, all fretted notes have to be at or within the next (higher) three frets of the current fret hand position or else they'll draw outside the highlighted lanes and chord boxes in the game, because Rocksmith 1 doesn't allow the "anchor" size to go larger than 4 frets. Also, if you define a chord to use the index finger, EOF expects the fret hand position to reflect that (ie. don't say the fret hand position is on fret 1 if you define a power chord shape where the index is at fret 2) or else it will complain.