Better or worse

dpslikeits1999

Question

I hate to crap on something that obviously took a lot of effort and looks absolutely beautiful.  Unfortunately, from my perspective, Ignition is more of a step backwards than forwards.   Generally, I use the search page to monitor CF for new listings and seek out bands/songs that might already be available.  For my purposes, Ignition is less convenient and less intuitive compared to the old search page.  Perhaps other features that I don't use such as follow or track songs have seen a big improvement with Ignition. 

First, to get the new postings listed first and in bold requires a couple of button clicks.  In the old version, this was default.  (Perhaps I'm only in love with the new postings in bold at the top because that's all I've ever known.  However, I see no benefit to having them listed any other way.)  This is a step backward - albeit, one that could probably be fixed.

Second, the search capabilities of Ignition, which are the primary function of Ignition.search, is less versatile than the older search page.  There's no autoseaching when you partially type in a name.  There's no direct link to searching on the band or song title on the main page listings (you have to go into the popup window.)   Less versatile, two button clicks instead of one.  Overall, the search capabilities are a step backward.

Third, the 'bold' used for the new listings isn't as effective at being bold as the previous system.  Maybe I have poor eyes but others seemed to be griping about this too.  The point of bold is to stand out.  It's not.  Again, this could probably be fixed.

Fourth, it takes four button clicks to turn on and off a song preview compared to two in the old system.  Again, this could probably be fixed.

Fifth and final, what is the purpose of the popup windows?  It looks absolutely beautiful and seems to be the most significant change to the search page.  But, there's almost no new information in the window that isn't available on the main listing page.  Artist, title, creator, available parts, DD, platforms, tuning are all on the main listings.  The only new thing are links to comments, the download button, a link to the record page (which use to be available on the old main search page but may not even be necessary now), creator's comments and a tally of how many have it in their collection.  Of all this new information, only the download button is really important.  If you want more info, the record page is available with the comments on the same front page.  Is the popup window anything more than cosmetic?  It does seem faster than opening a new page.  I'm not sure if that's because less data must be transferred (most of it is already on my screen to begin with) or my pc operates slower to open the new page. 

If the popup windows reduces CF's costs by reducing the amount of data transferred between CF's website and our computers, then that's a very credible argument for Ignition.  It's one worth putting up with everything else.  If there is no cost savings, then where is the benefit of Ignition beside cosmetic?  It takes more button mashing to accomplish the same thing as the older system.  From a user's perspective, it's a step backward.  I hope from CF's perspective it a big financial step forward. 

With some fixes, Ignition can become as versatile as the previous search page but with a more beautiful look.  Without those fixes, it's a small beautiful step backwards.

• Like 4

5 answers to this question

perhaps you could view the extra button clicks as warm up for the next rocksmith session... :D

on your first point, i must have my settings different as i get the new postings first and bolded which is nice, although i agree the bolding(sp?) could be stronger or something. 

as far as the search goes, i really can't comment as i tend to check ignition frequently to see what's new.  it's kind of my release when i get home from work to open up and see what new wonders someone has shared with those of us that don't have time or talent (me) to do it themselves. 

all i can say is thanks to all involved, regardless of irregularities, i still really appreciate everything done here.

I guess I'm getting use to ignition, though I agree it's not a huge improvement over the old search. It's the last page I check out before signing out, but there is no sign out button on the page that I can find. I have to go to yet another page in order to sign out. Not a big deal, just one extra step that I didn't have to do in the old search.

I was kinda bummed out when they removed the Old Search, but now I could care less. I like being able to load up all my uploaded CDLC right there in the Database quickly and grab links to go put in my workshop page.

Everyone will always have their issues with a new UI. But once you learn it, you'll end up loving it. :D

The problems you have listed are almost identical to the ones I raised as well. Ignition as you see it now is a W.I.P. Many improvements are coming, but they don't get updated to the live version immediately.

Make sure you have had a read of this post - http://customsforge.com/topic/15192-ignition-pro-tips-and-faq/

For now however, the old search still works, http://search.customsforge.com/-1

The problems you have listed are almost identical to the ones I raised as well. Ignition as you see it now is a W.I.P. Many improvements are coming, but they don't get updated to the live version immediately.

My criticism was directed to the work in progress.  Many of the issues I raised are likely fixable (bold, number of clicks to turn on/off a preview, etc.) and I state that with the hope that the developers will address those issues.  Without those fixes, Ignition would be a step backward from my user point of view.  Hopefully, as the work on Ignition progresses, these won't be an issue for anyone. 

Instead of framing a single issue as a solitary complaint, I took a holistic view of the new search page at this stage of its development.  It's easy to let a single issue slide by.  Requiring four clicks to turn on/off a preview is really no big deal by itself.   I can easily see a developer mumbling to him/herself 'suck it up.'  However, coupled with all the other minor issues, the overall change in the new search page isn't for the best, in my opinion.  Hopefully, the work will continue and as these minor issues are taken care of, we'll have, at a minimum, an equally efficient search page with a more appealing look.