Tone Changes

TranceXZero

Question

11 answers to this question

It is worth noting that there is a difference between songs which change tone only once (for example and intro tone, then changes to the main tone and stays there) and songs which change regularly (for example verse tone/chorus tone/verse tone/chorus tone etc etc).

I'll explain the easier one first, where there are many changes.  Here is what I do:

- In EoF, go to where your first tone change to be (you do define a "default tone" for the song later, so I am on about where you want the first actual change to take place).  Remember for fine movements in EoF hold down ctrl and use the arrow keys, this allows you to be far more precise in placement

- Press ctrl+shift+t

- Give it a name that makes sense and you will remember e.g. SongClean (ffs write down on a piece of paper what you called it)

- Move to where you want your next tone change to be

- Hit ctrl+shift+t

- Give it a name e.g. SongLead (and probably write this down too), be careful with your spelling now!!!  It does matter.

Once you have all your changes in (and anything else to do with the chart) save it.  EoF will give a message about defining a default tone (what tone is used when the song starts in game), I then accept EoFs advice and go to the tones list and mark one of the tones as default.  EoF HAS NOT SAVED YOUR PROJECT AT THIS POINT HIT SAVE AGAIN!!!

Now, in the toolkit it is worth setting up your tones before you import your arrangements (the XMLs that EoF made).

Import the tones you want to use - it don't matter what they are called we will fix that.

Click on the tone you want for SongClean and hit Edit.  Call it SongClean, use the drop down menu to make it a Lead/Clean/Acoustic (its set to Bass by defautl) and save it.

Once you have all your tones done then import the arrangements.

Here is the test, if any extra tone names are added to the bottom of the tones list when you are importing the arrangements then you have made a mistake somewhere - probably a spelling mistake.  You really need to take care when naming tones to get them correct, and they are case sensitive.

For Example, if you import your lead arrangement and SongCleen appears in the tones list then obviously you typed SongCleen instead of SongClean in EoF.

Now hit Generate and give it a go, it should work fine.  Don't worry too much about volumes and stuff at present, these are easily changed.  If you save the toolkit template and you want to change any volumes, just load up the toolkit save, mess with the tones and rebuild the custom.

Some things are a nightmare to change however, the main culprit being tone change positions in the song.  These are a complete CNT to change and needs a thread all to itself.  But volumes/amps etc are easy, as long as you don't try to change their position in the song.

The only other thing to remember is that if you only have one tone change in the song then you still need to setup a default tone in EoF.  You need to introduce a "dummy" change near the start of the chart so that you can define it as the default one in EoF.

This is how I do it.  There is more than one way to skin a cat and I am sure others will chime in with their versions of events too, so just read them all and do it whatever way seems most straightforward to you.

Good luck and have fun :D

It is worth noting that there is a difference between songs which change tone only once (for example and intro tone, then changes to the main tone and stays there) and songs which change regularly (for example verse tone/chorus tone/verse tone/chorus tone etc etc).

I'll explain the easier one first, where there are many changes.  Here is what I do:

- In EoF, go to where your first tone change to be (you do define a "default tone" for the song later, so I am on about where you want the first actual change to take place).  Remember for fine movements in EoF hold down ctrl and use the arrow keys, this allows you to be far more precise in placement

- Press ctrl+shift+t

- Give it a name that makes sense and you will remember e.g. SongClean (ffs write down on a piece of paper what you called it)

- Move to where you want your next tone change to be

- Hit ctrl+shift+t

- Give it a name e.g. SongLead (and probably write this down too), be careful with your spelling now!!!  It does matter.

Once you have all your changes in (and anything else to do with the chart) save it.  EoF will give a message about defining a default tone (what tone is used when the song starts in game), I then accept EoFs advice and go to the tones list and mark one of the tones as default.  EoF HAS NOT SAVED YOUR PROJECT AT THIS POINT HIT SAVE AGAIN!!!

Now, in the toolkit it is worth setting up your tones before you import your arrangements (the XMLs that EoF made).

Import the tones you want to use - it don't matter what they are called we will fix that.

Click on the tone you want for SongClean and hit Edit.  Call it SongClean, use the drop down menu to make it a Lead/Clean/Acoustic (its set to Bass by defautl) and save it.

Once you have all your tones done then import the arrangements.

Here is the test, if any extra tone names are added to the bottom of the tones list when you are importing the arrangements then you have made a mistake somewhere - probably a spelling mistake.  You really need to take care when naming tones to get them correct, and they are case sensitive.

For Example, if you import your lead arrangement and SongCleen appears in the tones list then obviously you typed SongCleen instead of SongClean in EoF.

Now hit Generate and give it a go, it should work fine.  Don't worry too much about volumes and stuff at present, these are easily changed.  If you save the toolkit template and you want to change any volumes, just load up the toolkit save, mess with the tones and rebuild the custom.

Some things are a nightmare to change however, the main culprit being tone change positions in the song.  These are a complete CNT to change and needs a thread all to itself.  But volumes/amps etc are easy, as long as you don't try to change their position in the song.

The only other thing to remember is that if you only have one tone change in the song then you still need to setup a default tone in EoF.  You need to introduce a "dummy" change near the start of the chart so that you can define it as the default one in EoF.

This is how I do it.  There is more than one way to skin a cat and I am sure others will chime in with their versions of events too, so just read them all and do it whatever way seems most straightforward to you.

Good luck and have fun :D

Ok so when I try to add a tone change it won't show up on the events or anywhere else for that matter, is this supposed to happen? I have a picture of how the events look and also one where I tried to just edit the song in GUI to have the set up correct, am I doing that right?

http://i59.tinypic.com/3503yb8.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/30my2yu.jpg

Actually it does NOT matter what you call your tones in EoF, as long as you know the ORDER in which you made them. When you import the arrangement in the toolkit, the default tone will be the first tone, with the name you gave it in EoF. The second tone will be Tone B, with the same name as you gave it in EoF. Now, you can change these tones with tones that have a different name. The only "annoying" thing about this, is that the toolkit automatically adds the two, or more, tones to the tone list.

So, in my opinion, the best way is to just describe the tone like Plum said (e.g. Songclean or SongDist), add the tones to your tone list in the toolkit, add the arrangement, then switch the tones in the arrangement with the tone you actually want it to have.

TL;DR It does not matter if your EoF and toolkit tone names are different.

Actually it does NOT matter what you call your tones in EoF, as long as you know the ORDER in which you made them. When you import the arrangement in the toolkit, the default tone will be the first tone, with the name you gave it in EoF. The second tone will be Tone B, with the same name as you gave it in EoF. Now, you can change these tones with tones that have a different name. The only "annoying" thing about this, is that the toolkit automatically adds the two, or more, tones to the tone list.

So, in my opinion, the best way is to just describe the tone like Plum said (e.g. Songclean or SongDist), add the tones to your tone list in the toolkit, add the arrangement, then switch the tones in the arrangement with the tone you actually want it to have.

TL;DR It does not matter if your EoF and toolkit tone names are different.

Tones changes don't show up with the text events, they're separate features. You can access tone change features including a way to list all tone changes, see the names of all defined tones, set the default tone, etc. in the "Track>Rocksmith>Tone Change" menu.

OMG... -_-

I can't get the tones to change if my life depended on it... Would you be able to make a quick video of how you do it when you make a song with tone changes? Pleeease! I would appreciate it much. :c I have other songs done but I can't do anything with them for they require tone changes.

I only described the way I do it, I am aware that there are other ways.  Consistent variable names is pretty basic stuff, and it will help people learning how to do it concentrate on wtf they are doing.

Random names in EoF and the toolkit is a recipe for a fuck up.

TranceXZero its easier if you upload your folder and let someone have a look.

Although I'm guessing this is the problem.

When you bring the arrangements into the toolkit it auto adds the names of the tones you used in EoF.  You are probably assuming that these tones somehow work dandy oh.  They won't, they are empty tones with the names you made.

You need to get the tones you want from somewhere - other customs or your personal save file or tones you have downloaded.

Put them in the toolkit then make their name to what you called shit in EoF.  Erase whatever empty tone the toolkit made.

This is why I put the tones in BEFORE the arrangements - no empty tone shit to deal with

Here's a video from a little while ago:

The EOF tone change stuff hasn't changed much, but the toolkit might have. The video doesn't cover using the "Track>Rocksmith>Tone change>Names" function to see the list of tone names (to check for typos and to set which tone is the default), but EOF will automatically nag you to set a default tone if necessary when you save the project. I think the toolkit now might actually read in the tone names from the XML file but I haven't tried it.

I only described the way I do it, I am aware that there are other ways.  Consistent variable names is pretty basic stuff, and it will help people learning how to do it concentrate on wtf they are doing.

Random names in EoF and the toolkit is a recipe for a fuck up.

TranceXZero its easier if you upload your folder and let someone have a look.

Although I'm guessing this is the problem.

When you bring the arrangements into the toolkit it auto adds the names of the tones you used in EoF.  You are probably assuming that these tones somehow work dandy oh.  They won't, they are empty tones with the names you made.

You need to get the tones you want from somewhere - other customs or your personal save file or tones you have downloaded.

Put them in the toolkit then make their name to what you called shit in EoF.  Erase whatever empty tone the toolkit made.

This is why I put the tones in BEFORE the arrangements - no empty tone shit to deal with

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I finally faaaaakin got it! :D:D:D:D:D:D:DD:D

Thanks so much to you all, reading all this shit finally helped me get it right!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! <3 :D:D:D:D

You can only have 4 actual tones in the song, you can swap them about as many times as you like.

Your tone changes not working are because you tried to make more than 4 separate tones in one song or, most likely, you spelled the tone changes wrong in EoF.

Go to EoF and onto Track/Rocksmith/Tone Changes/List

There you can see what you called everything.

Tone changes are also one of the hardest things to edit - I've had much trouble changing them about, so if you have been editing them like mad (changing their position in the song) then that can also cause them to not work.  You must make the game think it's a completely different custom (I think the changes get stored in the game somewhere).

Easist way to do this is to open the Toolkit and make the same custom from scratch, typing in the info again and putting everything together again (tones/arrangments/.wems etc).