Additional columns in custom forge search

frupel

Question

What do you think about adding two new columns : 

Country of origin : I think many non-english natives wonder if there are some songs in their language, they could then find them easily

Difficulty : Subjective 1-10 scale of song difficulty, could help beginner and intermediate guitarists to pick some satysfying songs to learn  ;)

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

I would simply call it "Language", but the idea is great! There are a lot of bands in every coutry that sing in english though, so the origin of the band is not equal to the language.

To make this easier to implement, the default language "english" could be set to all the 8000+ customs. Then only the charters in different languages will have to edit their entries.

About the difficulty:

The 1-10 scale was just added in the Customsforge Championship so you can find some songs there. Lead, Rhythm and Bass are treated seperately there, as well.

This would be very difficult to implement though, especially since it is so hard to decide for a rating. The only useful way for this to happen would be to let every user vote for every song, and then take the average values...

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Yeah I had the same thought about initial default value for song language ;)

I also thought about voting but I don't think many users would be involved so to begin it could be as simple as just subjective assessment of the author.

There could be some guidelines like a list of some songs for each difficulty could be prepared by forum community. 

Eg. ' rate your song 100% difficulty from 1 to 10 if   2 is What i've done by Linkin Park, 9 is Lynyrd Skynyrd-Free bird, and 10 is hell' ;)

Of course difficulty is always subjective matter because for one player eg. switching barre chords can be a piece of cake, while other guitarist still struggles with it but performs quite well at solos.  But this measurement would be still better than nothing, don't you think? :)

From my point of view: When I check on forge updates usually just the bands I know catch my eye, but if I saw a difficulty rank saying the song is '4' I would think, hey I am still a beginner and maybe I will learn something on this song, let's check this out' :)  And from the other side if experienced guitarist saw 8-10 rank he/she would maybe think 'hey , this could be challenge !'

I totally agree with you ;-)

My point was merely that the language would be much easier to implement than the difficulty.

The next version of search has been in development for quite a while now and even a download manager is in the making. Hopefully those ideas will be adressed in the next updates!

Until then I recommend you to check out the Championship (if you havn't done yet), because it serves exactly the purpose of finding new songs in your difficulty level that you would otherwise probably have never tried out ;-)

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

The 5-star rating system already exists... but it is not shown as a column and (maybe because of that?) it is hardly used.

Idealy, we get both: A difficulty and a quality rating that are clearly separated.

But don't forget: If a DLC sucks, it can be improved. Leaving detailed feedback and offering help with instructions is extremely time consuming, but it's worth it (not in all, but in most cases^^).

About the language: 

I guess a charter will tag his release with the language name.So searching by Tags is a possibility. 

When tagging a release, it would be fine to read suggestions how to "tag" efficiently.

Better would be a List of common Tags to select.

About the difficulty,

Lead may sometimes be impossible (Buckethead), while rhythm and bass of the same song may be easy.

Those behind Dynamic Difficulty and RocksmithtoTab showed the way to estimate charts.

I'm sure their experience will help to create and add a

new automated function to the Toolkit, which estimates difficulty level of arrangements.

I like the idea of adding languages and ratings, and I'd like to suggest another column: 

Music Genre

We get a lot of CDLC everyday and a lot of those songs can be unknown to us. A wide genre category (Rock, Metal, Pop, Blues...) can get us interested in a new band or make searching for music we like a lot easier.

Edit: Didn't see that HeadHeartLungs had the same idea. Well, that makes two of us that think it would be great to have music genres.

• Administrator

you're not the only two that had this idea and it was already discussed in another topic.

About difficulty, i think somebody said that RS already calculate an estimated difficulty to sort by difficulty so it might be possible to use this even if the result is approximate.

About the country/language, it's bassically just another field while we add a new CDLC to the database so it's not hard to implement buti don't really see the point, i mean we are here to play guitar/bass, the lyrics aren't that important and the language in wich they are even less so searching cdlc by this criteria seems kinda useless to me.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity