Insalling rocksmith 2014 on PC, I am worried!

aquavelva23

Question

12 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, aquavelva23 said:

OH BOY! I now have my PC CD and will install. I am worried however.  Once I download this into my laptop, The CD is dead? I cant upload it to another laptop? What if my laptop dies? I am very paranoid about this as they no longer make this.

Ya make me wanna slap my own forehead. Sorry.

Anyhoo. Yep, CD/DVD pretty much worthless.

No worries though, here is why. Once you make your Steam account, link the CD/DVD key to that Steam account, it is yours fo evea. Or until Ubi pulls it from Steam. This means you can re-download it, AND install it on any pc YOU own. That means, your pc dies, your laptop dies, it doesn't work on this laptop and you buy another bigger better laptop, you can install it on there as well.

If it eases your mind at all, I currently have the same Rocksmith installation on 2 different towers, and a laptop. Right now. You do not need the DVD to do that. You download it directly from Steam. Also, that is the point of the Steam/Rocksmith cloud. This means you play on one tower, but tomorrow you travel somewhere, log into Rocksmith, the cloud will sync to the cloud so all your progress matches on the machines, as long as you don't do something silly to mess up the cloud or progress.

Now for how long Ubi keeps it in Steam is anyone's guess, and I can not alleviate that concern. It should be for a long time to come. Someone else asked the same thing as you in another thread "what if my machine/laptop dies, what if something happens...". What this means, what I am trying to say, at some point in the far distant future, Windows 11 will get replaced. As will Windows 12.  And Windows 13. Will Rocksmith still work with that future Operating System? Not likely. Will Ubi make updates so that it will? That is anyones guess. I do not have answers for that other than, you will need to make plans if you want to keep playing this version of Rocksmith 20 years from now. Will the Earth still be inhabitable in 20 years? Will there be a colony on Mars in 20 years? Will anyone have figured out how many angels fit on a pin? Anyone's guess.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sniper Reload3d said:

Now for how long Ubi keeps it in Steam is anyone's guess, and I can not alleviate that concern. It should be for a long time to come. Someone else asked the same thing as you in another thread "what if my machine/laptop dies, what if something happens...". What this means, what I am trying to say, at some point in the far distant future, Windows 11 will get replaced. As will Windows 12.  And Windows 13. Will Rocksmith still work with that future Operating System? Not likely. Will Ubi make updates so that it will? That is anyones guess. I do not have answers for that other than, you will need to make plans if you want to keep playing this version of Rocksmith 20 years from now. Will the Earth still be inhabitable in 20 years? Will there be a colony on Mars in 20 years? Will anyone have figured out how many angels fit on a pin? Anyone's guess.

For what it's worth, I've got games that have been delisted from steam for 10 years that I can redownload still here in 2024. It's so unlikely to happen to have the actual game files removed from distribution through steam that I'm calling it impossible unless steam itself dies.

• Like 2

Just now, BluesMcGroove said:

that have been delisted from steam for 10 years

I made mention of this in another thread. I pointed out a particular game that is still available after almost 20 years.

impossible? no. If the game producer/developer no longer wishes it to be on Steam, it is that easy for them to remove it from Steam. I do not wish to make a panic by stating so, but it is the truth.

However, you are correct, the likely hood of it being removed is, as you are implying, very unlikely. As I said in a different thread, there are songs with 8 years or more left before the licenses expire. Likely hood of pulling the game, when they paid for licenses is very very unlikely, but as I have said before, I have seen dumber things before. There are very few absolutes in life, even less in the realm of technology.

14 hours ago, James7777 said:

Hey I am going through the same thing you are. I purchased what is hopefully a new pc cd with the steam key. How’s it going for you?  Did you get it downloaded to steam?

Does it work?

I'm in the same position. Not a current user but noticed RS2014 available on Amazon and was wondering if the Steam key it contains would still be honoured given that it's no longer available from the Steam store directly?

21 minutes ago, Magic Man said:

Does it work?

I'm in the same position. Not a current user but noticed RS2014 available on Amazon and was wondering if the Steam key it contains would still be honoured given that it's no longer available from the Steam store directly?

It would be great once @ aquavelva23 and @ James7777 does receive their copies to reply back with success or failure to let us know, but I am fairly certain it will still work.

I hope you read all of the above posts in this thread. From there, read this thread this thread for more dialog;

https://customsforge.com/index.php?/topic/71000-bad-time-to-try-rocksmith-no-pc-version-try-game-version-instead-what-going-on/

and this one where the this user had success:

https://customsforge.com/index.php?/topic/70237-new-to-customsforge-rocksmith-2014-no-longer-available-on-steam-would-hard-copy-for-pc-solve-my-dilemma-of-being-able-to-play-dlc/

Be fore warned that any purchase that you make is on you and your choice. I say this disclaimer again as I do not know if they will stop honoring store front keys. Buying from somewhere that will allow a refund would be a smart idea. However that said, I think it won't be until the keys are exhausted from circulation.

• Thanks 1

I’ll let everyone know when I try it. It should be here soon. I purchased it on ebay and can return it. I have seen amazon reviews that the keys have already been used on “new” copies. Unbelievable , it looks like someone on ebay has sold a 100 steam keys for $450, a 40 k profit on Rocksmith 2014. The link in Snipers post showed someone did have success getting the hard copy key on to steam so it should work. Thanks for the help.  I just received it but its a UK version. We will see how this works out. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, James7777 said:

I just put the key into steam and it is now in my account.

But the key was accepted, and Rocksmith is showing in your Steam Library?

7 minutes ago, James7777 said:

Unfortunately I don’t have a pc right now and I can’t go any farther.

But you have half the battle done (if the key was accepted) and know the answer