GPro files from WebTabPlayer

MVega

Question

None of the GPro files I've downloaded from this site work in Guitar Pro -- anyone know how to make them work?

It seems like they add something to the code -- EOF apparently knows how to strip it away. But I'd like to be able to open them in Guitar Pro 5 first.

Some of the files only seem to be available through WebTabPlayer. I also tried to translate a couple of gpx files using their converter function, same problem.

4 answers to this question

WebTabPlayer corrupts Guitar Pro files, see this post:

http://forums.smithyanvil.com/viewtopic.php?pid=95854#p95854

EOF's manual talks about this as well, to get it to open at all in either Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar, you have to edit the file in a hex editor. EOF makes this alteration automatically if you try to import one of these broken GP files, but sometimes that's not enough and the import will still fail because other parts of the GP file are also corrupted. In that case, editing it to remove those three bytes (EF BB BF) from the start of the file, saving the changes, opening the edited file in TuxGuitar and then re-saving it to GP5 format usually seems to make the file work in Guitar Pro and EOF. I contacted WebTabPlayer support multiple times about this in the past several months, but it doesn't sound like they ever did fix it.

No doubt they do this on purpose. Most of the tab I found there comes from other sites, all they do is convert everything to their version of a GP5 file.

There's three or four files I haven't found elsewhere. Yet.

Anyway, I found a hex editor, I'll give it a try.

WebTabPlayer corrupts Guitar Pro files, see this post:http://forums.smithyanvil.com/viewtopic.php?pid=95854#p95854EOF's manual talks about this as well, to get it to open at all in either Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar, you have to edit the file in a hex editor. EOF makes this alteration automatically if you try to import one of these broken GP files, but sometimes that's not enough and the import will still fail because other parts of the GP file are also corrupted. In that case, editing it to remove those three bytes (EF BB BF) from the start of the file, saving the changes, opening the edited file in TuxGuitar and then re-saving it to GP5 format usually seems to make the file work in Guitar Pro and EOF. I contacted WebTabPlayer support multiple times about this in the past several months, but it doesn't sound like they ever did fix it.

The Hex editor worked fine, thanks. Although just to see what would happen, I opened the corrected file in GPro first. I got a weird error -- in French -- to the effect that the something was missing at the end. I guess GPro couldn't figure out why everything was shifted forward.

At least Tuxguitar was able to figure it out.