Chords with extensions/hammerons

MVega

Question

I'm starting to chart a rhythm track now and I'm not certain how to chart some of the chords.

One thing I want to avoid is cluttering up the screen with too many chord boxes -- I think I might be able to avoid that by only giving partial chords (and I'm hoping partial chords will also fool Rocksmith into not giving misses). It's pretty clear he (Lou Reed) is only playing partial chords for most of the track.

But how do I:

1. Show the chord name for a partial chord. Example: I'm using an open F, but removing the F on the 1st string (high F). (Note: this should still be named, right?)

2. Emphasize one note in the chord, while retaining the chord shape? He's clearly holding the chord, but focusing on a single string for one of the downstrokes. You can still hear the string below it but it makes a big difference to the sound of the chord.

3. Notate hammer-on/extensions in the same chord. In the F chord, for example, there's a quick hammer-on/pull-off combination on the 3rd fret second string. He's not really playing the full chord here, but he's definitely keeping the chord shape.

I think I'll go ahead and chart the basic chord structure and then go back and add in these kind of notes later, depending on the tips people give me.

10 answers to this question

Sorry I missed this when I started a similar topic here.

Maybe Mods could combine them...

Reading the manual leads me to believe "Note->Toggle Crazy (T)" may be the answer for the hammer-ons, but I've yet to work out what the process is to get everything aligned....

Yeah, I saw yours, which gave me the idea of trying the linknext feature for the hammer-on I had.

What I don't want is for Rocksmith to rename the chord -- because then you get the clutter of two chord panes one right after another, when it's not necessary. You'd think since it's a hammer on, it should ignore the fact that technically it's a new chord.

Yes, this is the outcome I'd like to see, sustained chords with single string alterations..I found I could linknext to the hammeron but I'd also have to insert the full chord again, thus removing the HO notation from RS..You probably already know but raynebc told me you can remove EoF generated chord names by selecting the chord, then goto Notes/Edit note name and replace what is there with a 'space' character. Thus displaying nothing as the name.To remove the second chord pane I replaced the entire 2nd chord with just the (unlinked) hammer on. That way I get the hammer-on notation but forgo the accuracy of it being part of the original sustained chord :-(

Oh, I'm very much a beginner at this (well, I've got about 30 hours with EOF at this point... it's been a LONG week!).

So if I'm understanding correctly... The part I'm working is a rhythm part where the guitarist (Lou Reed) does a lot of hammer-ons and extensions -- nothing fancy, when he's playing a C chord, for example, he'll add the F in (4th string 3rd Fret) or maybe a D (2nd string 3rd fret). It's really the essence of his playing style.

But Rocksmith (and EOF) interprets this as new chords -- giving them weirdly tortured names and, worse, adding new chord panes. So I end up with WAY too many of these... makes it impossible to read on the fly. (Even for me, and I'm the one who tabbed the damn thing!)

So how do I show these extensions while keeping the strum lines?

I was really proud of myself -- it took me all day, but I do believe I figured out most of the different extensions he used (I filtered the audio to highlight the rhythm part, which helped a lot). But the result is so cluttered on Rocksmtih's runway that it doesn't seem worth it.

I'm tempted to create a second stripped-down rhythm part and add this one as a bonus arrangement for anyone who's interested.

Man, I'm as new to this as you are, I started less than 2 weeks ago...

I think if you use linknext, you'll remove the strum panes and it acts as a 'tie' in musical notation...

However, you'll also loose the RS note head or technique icon (ho/po) of alterations using the same string of the original chord, the sustain line just appears from the new fret location....

That would be one way.....

I don't know how RS scores this though (haven't tested)...

I wonder if it would be possible to 'add' the ability for ho/po's to retain their note head/technique icon under the linknext context?? As they are mostly considered legato/tied whenever they appear... It'd just be better for players that don't know the song to get accurate guidance from the RS UI IMO.

Researching the 'tech note' thread, I spotted an example using a single sustained note on one string that had an additional note/bend on another string that was applied half way through the first sustained note and they both sustained together.... That was using the "Crazy" toggle for the second note, but does not help when you have an original sustain on the same string as you want to alter because all original chord note sustains are linked across strings...

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm wondering if "Arpeggios" may hold some value, wondering since they are in fact chord tones played as single notes, if that context allows some variation in how chord tones can be authored/altered....(will attempt this shortly)

Sorry if this is of no use to you, hopefully someone will spot this and post a solution. Surely we're not the first to encounter this issue...

But how do I:

1. Show the chord name for a partial chord. Example: I'm using an open F, but removing the F on the 1st string (high F). (Note: this should still be named, right?)

As long as it has at least two notes left, EOF will export it as a chord. You can manually name any note to anything you like by typing the name in the edit pro guitar note menu, or if you wanted to apply the same name to several non-identical notes that are selected, you can use the "Note>Edit name" function instead.

2. Emphasize one note in the chord, while retaining the chord shape? He's clearly holding the chord, but focusing on a single string for one of the downstrokes. You can still hear the string below it but it makes a big difference to the sound of the chord.

You could try placing a tech note with "Accent" status on top of the note you want to emphasize. It should cause Rocksmith to display the note larger and more brightly than the regular notes (indicating it is to be played more strongly).

3. Notate hammer-on/extensions in the same chord. In the F chord, for example, there's a quick hammer-on/pull-off combination on the 3rd fret second string. He's not really playing the full chord here, but he's definitely keeping the chord shape.

I posted a solution in mrmaton's thread, give it a look and let me know if that doesn't do what you're wanting.

What I don't want is for Rocksmith to rename the chord -- because then you get the clutter of two chord panes one right after another, when it's not necessary. You'd think since it's a hammer on, it should ignore the fact that technically it's a new chord.

If you author regular chords in EOF, they will each display with either a chord box or a chord repeat line. In case I misunderstood what you're wanting to author from your earlier post, you may want to consider authoring an arpeggio, that way you can author just the notes that are being played and they won't show up as new chords. Here's an example:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/raynebc/arpeggiowithaccents_zpsffdffadc.jpg

In this example, the note on the D string isn't played at the beginning of the arpeggio, but it is played strongly throughout the duration of the arpeggio. You could just as easily have any notes authored within the span of the arpeggio and in game it can still display with whatever chord name you define.

Ah, I think the arpeggio might do the trick.

For the moment, I plan on putting out a 'basic' arrangement with just the chords -- for this song, at any rate, the rhythm is so buried in reverb that you can barely hear all of what he's playing (I filtered the bass out of the song, that's how I discovered all the hammer-ons and extensions he uses). I'll post an 'advanced' version of the full rhythm track once I've got something that doesn't look too clutter.

My complaint is with the way Rocksmith displays chords, really -- I find that when there are too many panes, it becomes too difficult to read the tab. I'll have to check out some of the official songs, to see how they handle this.

You can author chords inside of an arpeggio and EOF will export them as single notes. I've been told that Rocksmith doesn't like having multiple single notes authored at the same position in some cases, but I don't know if that would apply to arpeggios or not, since that's how official arpeggios seem to be authored (the chord at the beginning of the arpeggio is authored as single notes at the start position of the arpeggio hand shape instance).

I think I have a similar problem, and am wondering what to do about it.

I just finished "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor, and while I was working through it, I thought it would be good to put in the basic chord shapes at each chord change, even though most of the song is fingerpicked.  

If the chord shape is there, like the arpeggios in "House of the Rising Sun", I think it will make much more sense for people, instead of having to figure out the chord progressions themselves.  Not sure how to do this and preserve all of the hammer on and pull offs.  I also need some sort of markers for up and down strumming, but not sure where to find those and insert them.

Check out EOF's pro guitar tutorial for details about authoring an arpeggio phrase. You should be able to put hammer ons and pull offs within it. Some of the more complicated problems we've been trying to work on in other threads involve forcing chord sustains to display in ways that overlap other notes, but if you just author the notes in the arpeggio without sustains, it's much easier to avoid complications.

Official Rocksmith XML files denote strum direction, but I haven't been able to tell if the game actually displays a chord differently based on the direction. If you wanted to author those in EOF, you can use the functions in the "Note>Pro guitar>Strum" menu, or just select the desired notes and use SHIFT+Up or SHIFT+Down to set that strum direction.