Idea for a feature..

zz9pa

Dont know if this is the best place to ask - and its probably a long shot - but one thing I'd love to be able to do is to take a Guitar Pro file - and just "Import" it completely into a RS2014 playable file..

ie. - use the guitar pro for the tab - and for the backing track etc etc.

I know that guitar pro can export to wav, and that can be converted to mp3 etc - so maybe theres some scope to just automate the import so it knows its based on a GP file rather than the real/proper MP3 of the original track for the timings etc.

Any thoughts ? 

I doubt that the result would be playable, as (almost) every songs have a variable BPM, even if it's less than one, and it would throw things offsync, unless of course there's a way to auto-sync...

If you're really talking about recording MIDI to a WAV (or WEM), well.. you need to have very good VSTs to make it sound good, and proper adjustment for each individual songs...

My CDLC Workshop

Feedback is always appreciated! :)

I doubt that the result would be playable, as (almost) every songs have a variable BPM, even if it's less than one, and it would throw things offsync, unless of course there's a way to auto-sync...If you're really talking about recording MIDI to a WAV (or WEM), well.. you need to have very good VSTs to make it sound good, and proper adjustment for each individual songs...

I think he's suggesting there should be a way for the Toolkit to 'hear' the GP File -- so when you render it into a .psarc, it generates the soundtrack that goes along with it.

Which would be cool -- you can ask Rocksmith to generate all of the GP backing tracks and leave out the lead guitar track, for example. Or just lower the sound on the lead and place it to once side, something like that.

But you'd still have to overcome the awfulness of Guitar Pro's sound synth (at least GP5, which is what I have).

I can live with the crappyness of the backing track :)

FWIW - with the RSE - I dont find them too bad..

For example - I've really like to learn to play "gymnopedie no. 1" [Erik Satie], or the intro to "crazy for you" [heart]  - I've got a good gp files for them - but would be nice to get it into riff repeater etc.

If you have Guitar Pro or a VST generate audio for the tablature, you should be able to use the chart audio and import the GP track into EOF with good results. Unless you have non #/4 time signatures, you probably won't have to even mess with the tempo map beyond exporting the MIDI from Guitar Pro and importing that into EOF to get any tempo changes you placed in the tablature. And if you have non #/4 time signatures, it would probably take a few minutes of dragging beat markers around, but it should be pretty easy work.

If you have Guitar Pro or a VST generate audio for the tablature, you should be able to use the chart audio and import the GP track into EOF with good results. Unless you have non #/4 time signatures, you probably won't have to even mess with the tempo map beyond exporting the MIDI from Guitar Pro and importing that into EOF to get any tempo changes you placed in the tablature. And if you have non #/4 time signatures, it would probably take a few minutes of dragging beat markers around, but it should be pretty easy work.

I was wondering what's hapenning with that issue? Is it gonna get fixed (soon)? There's a couple of song I'm restraining to chart because at least half of the song isn't in #/4 and it would be a huge pain to structure the thing by measure for DD and all when you have to use #/4 and mess with the bpm.

My CDLC Workshop

I did just that for the Steve Vai 30h Workout- since all it is is written guitar exercises (no recording of it exists), I just recorded the output from Guitar Pro (w/ metronome on) as a wav & imported that into EOF. It doesn't sound that great, but then again, it's exercises, so it doesn't have to. The EOF process was the same as for any other song.

• Like 1

I did just that for the Steve Vai 30h Workout- since all it is is written guitar exercises (no recording of it exists), I just recorded the output from Guitar Pro (w/ metronome on) as a wav & imported that into EOF. It doesn't sound that great, but then again, it's exercises, so it doesn't have to. The EOF process was the same as for any other song.

Hey I tried that and amazing work. I meant to feedback but I guess I forgot... but I found that the metronome track is low.. if you play you don't really hear it so can't be sure if you're on beat or not. Just a heads up! (unless it has already been fixed then nvm).

My CDLC Workshop

I was wondering what's hapenning with that issue? Is it gonna get fixed (soon)? There's a couple of song I'm restraining to chart because at least half of the song isn't in #/4 and it would be a huge pain to structure the thing by measure for DD and all when you have to use #/4 and mess with the bpm.

No progress yet, there are still bigger problems to deal with. It isn't really that much work to just sync the beat markers since if you do it all manually, it's still the same amount of work regardless of whether you're paying attention to time signatures.

While I'm at it... I'd like to be able to toggle between the .mp3/ogg playback and the midi playback -- that might help in figuring things out. Is there a quick way to do this?

Using the midi playback with the audio file just sounds like a mess.

Another idea: Would it be possible for EOF to generate a click-track at the beginning of the song (during the leading silence part). That way, CDLCs could start off like official songs.

It could be done, but that's a step away from what EOF is meant to be for and toward the realm of audio editing. In Rocksmith 1, "RS Events" could be authored in EOF to have the game sound a metronome tick. I'm not sure if it's well known yet whether Rocksmith 2 supports that, but that would be worth trying first. 

While I'm at it... I'd like to be able to toggle between the .mp3/ogg playback and the midi playback -- that might help in figuring things out. Is there a quick way to do this?

You can mute the chart audio by going into "Song>Audio cues" and dragging the volume slider to the left.

Another idea: Would it be possible for EOF to generate a click-track at the beginning of the song (during the leading silence part). That way, CDLCs could start off like official songs.

It could be done, but that's a step away from what EOF is meant to be for and toward the realm of audio editing. In Rocksmith 1, "RS Events" could be authored in EOF to have the game sound a metronome tick. I'm not sure if it's well known yet whether Rocksmith 2 supports that, but that would be worth trying first.

It does- I discovered them by accident and have been adding 4 'High tick' events to all my CDLCs that don't start w/ their own drum intro (or hi-lo-lo-hi-lo-lo for songs in 3/4, 6/8, 12/8 etc.)- they work fine in RS2014, although they're not terribly even (though this could just be my computer's own lag).

It does- I discovered them by accident and have been adding 4 'High tick' events to all my CDLCs that don't start w/ their own drum intro (or hi-lo-lo-hi-lo-lo for songs in 3/4, 6/8, 12/8 etc.)- they work fine in RS2014, although they're not terribly even (though this could just be my computer's own lag).

Ah, excellent news. I'll give it a try tomorrow.