Empty Rooms, test required pls

Van-Blurten

Instead of using my Sunday productively for studying or practicing this weeks championships songs, I've barricaded myself into my bolt hole and knocked up this little beauty :)

No DD

DD here

E standard tuning, cherub rock.

I'm pretty pleased with myself... your opinion may be different ;)

Lead, Rhythm and Bass tracks, custom tone for bass, 2 for rhythm and 4 for lead, I think I'm happy with them, sound good on my guitars/bass, I don't have the developed ear of a lot of people though :)

The part that concerns me the most is the rhythm track, there's finger picking involved. I have contemplated replacing these areas, but then I thought, well it is the technique used so use it.

Can I have opinions and thoughts on that please? And play-ability in general please?

Thanks so much :)

Good work, just played the rhythm arrangement.

If you'd like feedback I'll say this:

- Not all chords have the handshapes defined.  EOF is probably giving you a warning about this when you save.  One of them I remember was an open C chord with the 4th string omitted.  This isn't in the built in chord library, so you'll have to define it yourself.  Click  the chord, press F and fill in the boxes.  You may have to re-run the fret hand postion generator when you're done (SHIFT+CTRL+F)

- I'd read this topic about sustains not touching http://customsforge.com/topic/15608-polishing-your-cdlc/. It's written regarding single notes, but It's nice to leave a little gap in between chord CHANGES too.  Just look at some youtube videos of official songs and notice the gaps they leave, especially if you have to jump around on the fretboard.  There doesn't seem to be a rule set in stone, so just go with what feels right when you play.

- No need to feel concerned about the finger picking part, it sounded accurate (My first time hearing the song, but it seemed to fit in as I was playing).  I'll suggest one thing to pretty it up; the handshape function in EOF.  I'll put a pic in the next post of what you might like.

http://i.imgur.com/1nIfpYq.png

There's a pattern of two chords that repeats itself a bunch of times.  You can set the first three notes as a set of notes within a D minor handshape.  Click the first three notes and press CTRL+SHIFT+H.  Select the next three notes and press the same thing again.  Do this throughout the rest of the verse.  When you save EOF will ask you to define the new chordshapes so fill in the boxes.  I'd remove the sustain on the notes within these handshapes.  Letting the notes ring is implied.

Many thanks for that. 

Have done all of the sustains (touching notes) for all paths, updated hand shapes and fret hand positions. I'll test soon and release v1.1 (it's near 4:30 am) don't think anyone would appreciate me belting out some songs at this time :p

In the meantime I've released the song, record page here if anyone else has any comments, oh 1 other thing, regarding hand shapes / finger positions, is there a way to define them in EoF as default, so they are automatically updated in any future songs?

Thank you :)

In the meantime I've released the song, record page here if anyone else has any comments, oh 1 other thing, regarding hand shapes / finger positions, is there a way to define them in EoF as default, so they are automatically updated in any future songs?

You will have to edit the "chordshapes.xml" file in your EoF folder (the one that contains eof.exe, not your project folder). I have no idea how to correctly add in chord(shapes), so you'll have to study that on your own. Or ask @@raynebc

The chord shape definitions are the same format as the chord templates in the XML file.  If you've authored a chord shape/fingering the way you like it, you should be able to copy that template line from your custom chart and paste it into EOF's chordshapes.xml file.  This file only gets loaded when EOF starts, so you'd have to open EOF again after adding the definition, but it should otherwise work fine.  If that chord shape already has a fingering definition though, you may need to remove the old definition, or just put your custom one at the top because EOF will use the first match it finds when it's trying to look up chord fingerings.