Position of open strings

droxid

Question

Hello there!

For some reason  some open strings in my project are displayed in the game in the 10th position/10th fret . I don't want that... I want them to be displayed in the second fret. I think its because they are  followed by an arpeggion containig  notes in the 10th fret. But the arpeggio they belong to starts in the second fret. How do I tell EoF where to place open strings?

Is this what leagacy/lane is for when pressing n in EoF?

17 answers to this question

• Administrator

Open note are placed relatively to the fret hand position. just generate all fret hand position and then modified those that you want to be change at you're liking.

it's not related to any kind of status on the note themself.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Maybe you're having trouble cause you can't see what you're editing?

Press F11 and hit the HAND POS box.  Now you can see all the anchors.

As FireKorn said add/remove whatever anchors you want.  Seek to that orange open note and press SHIFT+F.  It should say 10.  Erase that.

It said nothing... I put in 2... then I clicked save.. now EoF told me that there are problems with frethand positions... I ignored that, but now the whole song looks like this l:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh283/pipiclub/prob1.jpg

strang is also that if i reload the saved file the field where I put 2 before is empty again...

• Administrator

You are clearly modifying things without understanding how they work.

let's back up a bit.

In EOF in track - Rocksmith - Fret Hand Position click on Generate all Diffs, it will automatically create all fret hand position that seems necessary.

To see the actual Fret Hand Position, go to File - Preferences and set the Top 2D pane shows to Hand Pos, so that FHP are shown at the top of the chart in EOF.

From there you can move around and delete the unwanted FHP and add some that you think necessary but there some little things to keep in mind.

NEVER put the same FHP two times in a row EXCEPT if there's a new section in the middle!

ALWAYS add a FHP at the start of a new Section.

EOF will warn you that there is problem with FHP for multiple reason :

A note is outside of the 4 fret range of the FHP -> that's not a real problem since RS2014 works with that pretty well but it might worth to check if you haven't forgotten to put a FHP position somewhere ;)

A fingering indicate that the first finger isn't on the first position of the FHP -> that's mostly an error that you want to correct but not always just check it once to make sure it wasn't a mistake that you did.

I think i cover everything but i might forget something in there so be carefull and don't ignore warning message since they are here for a good reason in the first place!

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

ok...thanks!  I'll try to work with it.... I think I will start from scratch.. so this happened cause I put the same position several times  in a row? ..but this happens somehow automatically in eof... or I don't know...I think my problem is that I don't understand what the difference between frethand position and fingering is.

Because it's always the same error just several times that the index finger is used but the frethand position is on a different fret ( I did  "Generate all Diffs" first)

One quick question: I searched the forum but didn't find any answers - what are "pitchless lyrics" and what is "playable freestyle"? Should I click yes or no when I get asked if I want to write pitchless lyrics as playable freestyle? I always clicked no cause in some youtube tutorial the guy says I should ckilck no.

• Administrator

Pitchless lyrics and playable freestyle is Rock Band related and it doesn't matter if you say yes or no to that question since RS doesn't care.

The same position several time in a row happen when it's automatically generated only when there's a new section (red bar on the 2D chart). It should never happen otherwise.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

From there you can move around and delete the unwanted FHP and add some that you think necessary but there some little things to keep in mind.

Hey!  I got another frethand problem in my new project.... I start to understand a little how this works..

So the frethand positions get generated anyway when I save the project - is this the same that happens when I click generate all diffs?

I think now they cause an error where EoF tells me that my rythm part uses more frets than 24.. I also have again nasty glitches at some parts

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh283/pipiclub/fret2.jpg

Could the open string be the problem? I know now how to create a new frethand position and that it is valid until the next frethand position but how can I move frethand positions around?

If I create for example one fhp for the red open note....the position gets created way before this note.... I assume this is because of the camera moving... but I would like to move that position just before the open note.... 

Maybe you could check out the rythm part of my newest release (Architects - Follow the water).. you will see the

errors - thanks!

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/follow-the-water-r13229

• Administrator

Well i think that the .eof file and the according guitar.ogg could be more usefull to look into the issue.

From what i see on your screenshot there should not be any kind of issue...

After playing the rhythm part i would have not published it. There is clearly something going on but in the part just after what your screenshot shows. Also this cause RS to crash when selecting sections in the RR on the rhythm part (haven't tried on the lead part).

Your problem isn't related to FHP but to actual note that go over the 24th fret in the section next to the one in your screenshot.

Also i'm curious about what EOF version you use.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I am using v1.8RC10(r1372)

I tested only lead (everything fine) then I published then I tested rythm ...

The thing is that there is no note in the gp file that ever goes that high.. thats why I believe that maybe the open note on 13th position goes over the 24th fret - or the gap between open note and 13th/17th string is too high or soemthing... I don't know only some assumptions

I put the files you requested(and some more) into here: (upload will take about 12 more minutes :-) )

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yac6o11cbezj5xf/AACJ5GFc8PCalwivSwu3Pd5na?dl=0

• Administrator

On measure 17 and 51 you have a 35 fret on the lowest strings. I know EOF had some import bug that created those kind of weird fret value on an older version.

@@raynebc : i probably know what's causing this import issue. In the GP file the on measure 15 to 18 (and 49 to 52), the lowest strings is link all the way which is just the tab being badly created cause the guitar doesn't let ring that lowest string anyway. The bug also happen with r1777 (haven't moved to the 1778 yet).

@@droxid : i've learn that trusting the gp import is not the best way to go. All gp file have their own flaws and EOF might from time to time have is own too. On another point EOF did warn you about the exact issue and you might also have seen the fret number fly by on a fingering panel.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

On measure 17 and 51 you have a 35 fret on the lowest strings. I know EOF had some import bug that created those kind of weird fret value on an older version.

This was the first time this bug was brought to my attention, so thank you for the information. It did turn out to be related to the tie notes, but the bug could only be triggered by having the two tie notes begin at different positions and then overlap each other as they do around the beginning of measure 16.  This was a special condition EOF wasn't accounting for, so it ended up using the last fret value that was parsed for that string (fret 35 from the drum track).

Overall, the GP import function is very reliable and import bugs like this are getting quite rare.  The author still needs to put eyes on it to see if there are any special circumstances like the above that EOF doesn't take into account.

@@firekorn :

Ok! Thank you very much so far!! Gonna try to fix it tomorrow.

just 3 short questions:

1)Will the actual newest version prevent this problem?

2)About the "generate all diffs" -function: Is this the same as when the fret hand positions get created automatically when saving? Or should I click that that every time I make a custom because it does sth different/extra?

3)How do I move around/delete frethand-positions? I can't even mark them right now....

You helped me out alot these days.... thanks heaps! Can I buy you a virtual beer or sth? http://beeroverip.org/random/

1.  This is a problem that won't be corrected in EOF until the next hotfix.

2.  The results are the same, although it's best not to generate them if you're still working on the track because if you make changes to the tab the generated FHPs may no longer reflect the tablature.

3.  FHPs can't be moved in the way notes can be.  You can mark them with "Track>Rocksmith>Fret hand positiosn>Set" (or use the SHIFT+F shortcut).  In order to see where they are you can open File>Preferences and set the top of the 2D pane to show hand positions.

• Like 1

• Administrator

As raynebc said, the best is to generate FHP at the end of the creation process.

If need be, before generating FHP position again you can go to the list (CTRL+SHIFT+F) and do a "delete all" to make sure their won't be any issue with existing FHP.

Thanks for the beer ;) well i'm still looking for help on my own customs (detail in my workshop) and you can also check follow me on twitch (twitch.tv/firekorn).

Always glad to help!

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography