PC Toolkit on Mac (via Wine)

Hey all fellow Mac users and aspiring guitarists!

I've gotten the PC version of the CDLC toolkit running on OSX by using Wineskin to package it. It's now essentially a native OSX app, but without all the headaches of installing Mono, X11, and whatever else. 

I've only used it to convert CDLC from PC to Mac versions, and that definitely works.

I'm not sure what else I can add or test, since most of the tools to create CDLC are absolutely PC-only.

I would greatly appreciate other Mac users giving it a try. I've never done this before, and it's taken a lot of trial and error to get this far.

You can download it from my Dropbox to check it out. I won't be offended by reports of bugs, crashes, etc. It shouldn't destroy your system (AFAIK).

The only bad news is the size. Unzipped, the app weighs in at about 1.3GB. I suppose that's what happens when you have to stuff all that Windows junk into a single package. Regardless, it's still faster and easier than launching Parallels just to convert some songs.

So, please - give it a try and report back with any feedback. If it's a fiasco, we'll just pretend this never happened, okay?  :huh:

-Dito

• Like 1

Why not just run it with Mono?  It works absolutely fine with Mono 3.4 and doesn't take up 1+ GB of space.

It also sounds like you had a harder time getting it to work with Wine than you would have with Mono.

Well, sure, I could have just used the Mono version, but that's no fun. I like nerd challenges. What can I say?

The time I spent doesn't really matter. I would have just spent it on a different nerd challenge.

I keep seeing threads about people having problems running the tools on Mac, so I thought I'd throw in a little bit of effort. Ah well. 

Sorry, not re-replying just for the sake of a bump.

Part of the reason I worked on this was because the native Mac version isn't that simple to install. You can't use the latest Mono (3.8.0) - at least I couldn't -  you have to track down 3.4.0. Uninstalling Mono is not a point-and-click operation. And then you get to install X11. 

Anyway, I'd really be grateful if someone would try this out for me. It works well for non-professionals like me.

It can do:

• platform conversion (i.e. PC to Mac)
  • Dynamic Difficulty Creation (DDC)
  • Pack & Unpack .psarc files

I can't (yet) get the Create tab working - throws an obscure Windows file error. So if you're like me and simply want to adjust the volume levels in a song, you have to track down the unpacked .json files, manually adjust the XML, and repack the song. It's not so bad, once you know where to look.

Again - here's the link if you've got a little bit of spare time. I'd really appreciate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbq8y9t0k2gc3ys/RSTK%20Wineskin.zip?dl=0

-Dito

I used mono 3.8.0 custom build from sources for windows to test toolkit under mono. I can try to test linux version of mono, if that helpd with mono for X.

and I can switch from nvdxt.exe to NVTT C# wrapper that finally allows you guys to produce cdlc from creator tab.(also I can fix cdlc generation for imported packages.)

• 2 weeks later...

I reinstalled Mavericks and could not get the MacTool Kit to work with Mono.  I used your Wine Version and had success with converting.  It even converted some songs that I did not have success with when I tried the old Mono version in the past!

CDLC 2 Tab worked fine.

I'll check the other parts of the toolkit and give you more feedback later.

• Like 1

I just installed this on OSX Yosemite and it worked perfectly for conversions from PC to Mac. That's really all I use it for. The previous version I was using under Mono quit working when I upgraded to Yosemite so this is wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to make this and share it here. It's greatly appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't need the wineskin version.  Just use this version of Mono:

As to the Converter, Xamarin has been shipping a known-broken version of Mono (v3.10.0) for a month or so now.  (See http://stackoverflow.com/a/26685351/147202) There's a fixed version available for download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrjnv7p8zj1rh5u/MonoFramework-MDK-3.10.0.26.macos10.xamarin.x86.pkg?dl=0 (linked indirectly on the StackOverflow page).

Installing this version of Mono allowed me to run RocksmithCustomSongToolkit.app.

It works perfectly on Yosemite.

I've disabled autoupdater on Mac in Last beta so it should start faster now(you still can check for updates by your own or launch updater manually, I'm not sure you guys need it now ;) )

• 5 months later...

Sorry, not re-replying just for the sake of a bump.

Part of the reason I worked on this was because the native Mac version isn't that simple to install. You can't use the latest Mono (3.8.0) - at least I couldn't -  you have to track down 3.4.0. Uninstalling Mono is not a point-and-click operation. And then you get to install X11. 

Anyway, I'd really be grateful if someone would try this out for me. It works well for non-professionals like me.

It can do:

• platform conversion (i.e. PC to Mac)
  • Dynamic Difficulty Creation (DDC)
  • Pack & Unpack .psarc files

I can't (yet) get the Create tab working - throws an obscure Windows file error. So if you're like me and simply want to adjust the volume levels in a song, you have to track down the unpacked .json files, manually adjust the XML, and repack the song. It's not so bad, once you know where to look.

Again - here's the link if you've got a little bit of spare time. I'd really appreciate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbq8y9t0k2gc3ys/RSTK%20Wineskin.zip?dl=0

-Dito

The link is dead and tells us the page has been lost or moved. Would love to be able to use your skin / converter as the CustomForge software is not working and nothing seems to be forthcoming. Trying to keep my 12 year old son busy with new content he likes. Can you help please? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, I know this thread is getting on a fair bit....   I was just wondering if there is a link for the software. I am using a mac running (10.10.3).

Really cant wait to get this up and running so i can convert plenty of Zappa tracks....   

All link for software on this page are kaputtt...  :( 

Thank you in advance.

Jamie.

Hi Guys, I know this thread is getting on a fair bit....   I was just wondering if there is a link for the software. I am using a mac running (10.10.3).

Really cant wait to get this up and running so i can convert plenty of Zappa tracks....   

All link for software on this page are kaputtt...   :(

Thank you in advance.

Jamie.

You don't need the Wine version that was posted here (it never worked that great anyway).

All the info you need to get the Toolkit running on Mac can be found here:

http://customsforge.com/topic/10547-how-to-add-custom-songs-on-mac/

I would suggest sticking to an older version of the Toolkit for the time being, as some people have said that the newest 2 versions have been causing problems.

Personally, I use v2.6.1.0-406125e4 without any problems.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy