Lost all RS progress when setting up new computer due to boneheaded Steam synch decision. Not backed up anywhere else. Pretty sure I'm boned.

Joe

Question

This is my Hail Mary.

So I'm setting up my new computer and I installed my old hard drive with RS on it as a secondary drive . I copied all the RS files over to the Steam folder on the C drive but it kept starting from the old drive, so I used the "move files" option in steam to move RS from the old drive to the main C drive. After I restarted RS, I got a prompt about whether I wanted to use an old save or the new cloud save.

Well, it was late and I wasn't thinking, so I clicked on the cloud save.

You know what happened next. The CDLC was all there and working, but none of my progress, settings, favorites, etc. were there. It was like playing for the first time.

I'm almost positive there's no way to get my old progress back after trying the "usual" remedies, but I thought I'd see if there was some miracle I'm missing. After all, I'm the guy who deleted the old files after moving everything to the new drive. I do have a backup of my CDLCs.

Any ideas? No OneDrive or other cloud backup. Is it possible to load old steam cloud saves beyond the ones readily available (Steam-Restore Game Backup)? I didn't have Steam synch on until late in the process. The only two cloud saves are from this morning. I have a local save from yesterday, but it's less than a kb and isn't recognized by Steam.

Couldn't find any other local saves, surprisingly.

ps Yes, I know I'm an idiot. I was tired and frustrated.

• Like 1

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Joe said:

After all, I'm the guy who deleted the old files after moving everything to the new drive.

Did you move them to the recycle bin or did you empty the recycle bin, or did you prem delete with shift + delete? the obvious is to just restore if it is in the recycle bin.

Is it a hdd or ssd?

If it is a hdd, you can use a program like Recuva for pc.

https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-recover-data-from-a-hard-drive

if you recover those files, save them to the desktop on the new drive, not the old drive so the old files do not get over written.

if it is a ssd, the hopes of recovery are limited because that/those data sectors are written over.

You will have to weigh how much effort you want to put into this.

Another option is to put the drive back into the old computer, and see if you can restore a previous back up point.

If the old drive was using Win10, Win10 supposedly has built in file recovery within Windows File History.

https://www.easeus.com/resource/recover-deleted-files-hard-drive.html

2 hours ago, Joe said:

The CDLC was all there and working, but none of my progress, settings, favorites, etc

The main thing is that the game works. All and in all, though frustrating and you already realize this, if you have no songs missing, the dlc and cdlc work, the settings and favorites can be added / changed as you move forward.

Progress lost is not that big of a deal really. You just get to do that progress over again. Surprisingly, it is funny how one person looks at it compared to another person. There has been more than one person that has asked about resetting progress on songs to re- do them without erasing their profile.

Thanks for the input and ideas, Sniper. I appreciate it.

I was moving and deleting a lot of stuff and emptying the can. I foolishly thought I was all set when I clicked the fateful Cloud update and went back to zero.

Both drives are SSD. Never thought of putting the old drive back, but I used the Steam utility to move the files from old to new, THEN I overwrote them with the cloud save. But that's a good idea, I may see if I can find a backup point on the old drive and computer.

My old computer was using Windows 8.1 !

You're right about the main thing being that the game is working. I'm just frustrated with myself for being so reckless and careless with something I use so much. SO stupid not to have multiple copies of everything before I started screwing around with it. (Let this be a lesson to all of you when you get new computers!!)

Thanks again. If I can't find an old save, I'll just take it as a challenge to repopulate my numbers!

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

I did the same thing and felt a bit of a loss. However unlike ANY OTHER games your progress is your playing ability. I resumed my practice. Don't think about it and keep playing. You will get back everything in no time.