Do you watch playthrough videos? If so, what information is important in them?

Karmeleaux

Question

EDIT: For clarity, I mean 'playthrough' videos of CDLC, but I'm a doofus and used vague terminology and can't figure out how to edit the title because of prior-mentioned doofusness

Hey y'all, slowly workin' on a big update of old CDLC and I was thinking of just uploading videos of multiplayer with no input for video previews for interested parties. As far as I've considered, the pros and cons:

Pros:

-A preview of lot of information in one video (lead, bass, vocals)

-Saves me time, I don't have to play a song two or more times (and I can do something else while it's recording)

Cons:

-No preview of tone

-Scrunched up UI makes it difficult to get a full feel

-(minor) Consistent 'miss' markers

By and large I feel like the cons are counterbalanced for what I personally use video previews for, which is a general glance at the chart(s). A viewer might not get a feel for the entire chart from such a preview but any big mistakes would usually still be noticeable, so if one sees a big mistake it gives them reason to pass or leave feedback. And if one does not, it seems like it'd be worth a download (and then leaving feedback if one notices a mistake then).

However, I can very much understand tone previews being an important part. I know I have downloaded some CDLC that have fairly accurate charts but tones that make it a really rough experience - in fact I know I've RELEASED some in the past (and probably still have a few out there, in part hence the update).

So I guess this comes down to - for people who watch preview videos - what is important to you? Just getting a general feel of the chart visually, or is tone preview an actively important part of a preview video?

And if you don't watch preview videos, do feel free to share what WOULD be important to you and/or your general feelings on this approach. I'll certainly consider everything I hear in here.

Thanks!

Edited by firekorn
Changed the title

I've always got the multitracks.

3 answers to this question

• Administrator

"-(minor) Consistent 'miss' markers"

Disconnected mode won't display any miss marker though.

I think it's largely more important to see how the chart is. If there's a good amount of work spent on the chart, i don't see any reason to doubt that the tone won't at least be somewhat fitting. And tone can always be switch if the user feel it's not good enough.

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

"-(minor) Consistent 'miss' markers"

Disconnected mode won't display any miss marker though.

I think it's largely more important to see how the chart is. If there's a good amount of work spent on the chart, i don't see any reason to doubt that the tone won't at least be somewhat fitting. And tone can always be switch if the user feel it's not good enough.

Disconnected mode isn't available for mulitplayer. I have previously thought of doin' separate lead and bass videos in disconnected mode and really I guess I should, I need to recognize I'm probably in the minority of players who feels it'll be more convenient to see them at once.

Thanks for your input.

I've always got the multitracks.

I'd be fine with it being disconnected since if the tones are too ass while playing it I'll just swap to my own. It'd probably be easier to hear if its in sync better without someone playing over it as well.

"Scrunched up UI makes it difficult to get a full feel", if I wanted a full feel I'd just give the song a go lol

Although most of the time I don't even check to see if there's a playthrough vid and I just download it anyway.

• Like 2

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype