Skins in RS

Laro

Nice work @@Frack. I like to see that we can go further than I first though. :D

@@rom Mostly all textures are the same but the game use three different, diffuse, normal and specular. The most easy to modify are the diffuse since they don't modify the light and shininess. You can identify them with the last letter, the normal ends in _n and the specular in _s. You can try modifiying the rug(loft_rug_a.dds), the couch(loft_couch_green.dds).

See here goes some info for the ones who want to make his own lofts:

First a little explanation about the texutures:

In the game there are 3 different textures diffuse, normal and specular. You can recognize the normal and the specular with the last letter of the name, the normal ends in _n and the specular in _s.

Diffuse maps: is a texture you use to define a surface's main colour.

In order to work well with a normal map and a specular map, a good diffuse texture should not have any directional lighting included, it should only have generic "ambient occlusion" - ie. the surface gets darker in deep cracks and around embossed details. If you are generating your normal maps from high-poly geometry, you should bake a matching ambient occlusion pass from the geometry and multiply this on top of your diffuse texture to make sure that the lighting matches the normal map.

Local normal maps:

Virtually all geometric surface detail should be represented in bump maps instead of drawn into the diffuse maps in the conventional style. This allows a single texture to take on different characteristics based on its interaction with lights.

Ideally, local (or tangent-space) normal maps should be generated from high-poly geometry for the best consistency and surface detail. However, it is often necessary to create normal maps from source photography and textures. This can be done in Photoshop by using the NVidia Tools NormalMap Filter, or using a 3rd-party application such as Crazybump.

Two types of images can be used for bump mapping in ETQW; height maps and normal maps.

Specular maps: are the maps you use to define a surface's shininess and highlight colour.

The higher the value of a pixel (from black to white), the shinier the surface will appear in-game. Therefore, surfaces such as dry stone or cotton fabric would tend to have a very dark specular map, while surfaces like polished chrome or plastic would tend to have lighter specular maps.

The colour of a pixel is also used, to calculate the resulting colour of the surface. A very saturated specular map will have a very different visual effect than a grey specular map. If you need a more "neutral" highlight on a surface, your specular map should use the inverse of the diffuse map's colour. Using the same colour on the specular as on the diffuse will result in a more saturated highlight when viewed in the game.

You can use contrasts in specular to make a surface appear more visually interesting in the game - for example, this door has a very dark specular for the wood while the metal parts are much lighter, which will make the metal stand out more as a shinier surface when light hits it. This sort of contrast can help make surfaces in the game appear more realistic too.

With the right use of textures we can make really nice trhings. Here is an example of the tree textures, diffuse, normal and specular and how it look in a cube:

9300585997_fa4acf6737_b.jpgTRU_Stone_Material_22_Cover by Elizabeth Gallagher, en Flickr

So now we have the theory to apply it in the game. I'll do the tutorial to modify the game other day.

@@SA_JK are you sure you have the required necessary programs (and in the required revision) to run CGT (.Net framework 4.0).

Yeah, had net framework installed, even the net framework link provided by cozy it was "outdated" (?)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

PS: I didn't understand that step you mentioned, (replacing with your new gears.psarc) Did you modified the copy of this file? CGT just modifies files located in Rocksmith folder.

• Developer

Nice amps skins, but I had the same problem when I tried this. I think that programs can't handle so much data too. Maybe the solution is make something similar to inlay's skins and make individual .psarc for each skin. Since inlays and amp skins are unlockable, it should be similar, maybe @@cozy1 knows how to do it.

I haven't done any work with Amp mods.  Sry

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• Developer

@@SA_JK are you sure you have the required necessary programs (and in the required revision) to run CGT (.Net framework 4.0).

Yeah, had net framework installed, even the net framework link provided by cozy it was "outdated" (?)

PS: I didn't understand that step you mentioned, (replacing with your new gears.psarc) Did you modified the copy of this file? CGT just modifies files located in Rocksmith folder.

Just confirmed the link to Net 4.0.30319 is still correct.  You need this version.  Overflow error is typical of wrong NET version.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Just confirmed the link to Net 4.0.30319 is still correct.  You need this version.  Overflow error is typical of wrong NET version.

Uninstalled the newer version and installed that one, but it keeps throwing the out of memory exception and keeps repacking forever.

• Developer

@@SA_JK, et. al. 

I am able to reproduce the error in CGT 1.7.0. 

EDIT:  Will have fix soon.

There is problem with RocksmithToolkitLib.dll that needs to be fixed first.  If you can get a copy of version 2.5.0 of RocksmithToolkitLib.dll and put into CGT root folder it should fix repacking problem for you.  FYI:  Unpacking takes about 14 minutes and repacking takes about 34 minutes on my machine.

Keep in mind CGT does nothing to fix/modify nif files.  You will need to do this manually, and inject and then repack with toolkit once it is fixed.  I want to hear more from SA_JK through PM about his experience with editing nif files.

• Like 1

• Developer

I have isolated and fixed the issue (Out of Memory) in the toolkit unpacker/packer.  I will incorporate the fix into CGT in the next release.  Should be soon.  You can use toolkit to pack archive for now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developer

CGT is all fixed (no more 'Out of Memory' errors).  Give the latest version a try with your modding.  Just follow my signature link.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been modifying the textures of the game, mostly for boring and make it more visual friendly for me. Creating custom guitars and custom lofts:

Loft: http://imgur.com/a/sdT8M

Guitar: http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/708528119653520712/111DEAEDB0AAEEA7533703664D75096FFCAB25B0/

Recently I made another custom texture in the chord pans. The idea is too make more different the fret hand mute chord and the palm mute chord, so I change the fret hand mute chord pan writing in a F (of fret): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=474442621

Not sure if anyone have that problem too or have already change textures. Just though about open a thread to share what I've done and if anyone is interested I can share it.

So how do I change my loft on my game?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Developer

It's been a while, but IIRC injected images show as pink because you used a colored image when it should have been black n white, or this could be vice-versa.

Are you using CGT or manually injecting images?

Edit: also check image transparency or lack there of, IIRC this can also cause pink images.

• Like 1

• Developer

What you are trying to mod?  What is full file name and path of the original image within the archive?  Could you be specific about what you have tried so far?  You may want to give CGT a try (follow the link in my signature) it has a GUI for such things and you don't have to mess with converting jpeg/png images to dds files.

• Like 1