Test please for wannabe charter :)

Van-Blurten

Hey all, after the nightmare of previous attempt (still working on it), I thought I would try different songs to gain more experience. 

This song is "Over the hills and far away" by Gary Moore, a real favorite of mine, by one of my personal gods.

PC version, E Standard, Smashing Pumpkins Cherub Rock, with:

BASS          Can play myself, really like this seems to play good

Rhythm      Cannot do it justice, seems to play well.

Lead           Not a lot of it, I can't play this at all so probably needs someone half decent to have a go :)

Should be DD and adequate riff repeater

Download here

***V2.1     21st apr

Hi @@Van-Blurten

I played the bass path, and here are my thoughts :

Your scroll speed is too fast, you should divide BPM by 2 and double the notes' value. A pain in the ass, I know, but the notes are coming at you way too fast.

I would also raise the bass sound by at least 2db.

Other than that, the tab seems very accurate and the synching is fine too.

Cheers

• Like 1

(Click me)

** See my releases and WIP here **

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

Thanks @justgimmethefunk

Have corrected the scroll speed issue, seems I read the tutorial backwards :) should be good now.

When you say about raising the bass sound, do you mean isolating the bass part of the MP3 or the bass part that we play?

I assume that you mean the part we play, by upping the volume on the tone?

If so, I haven't created a custom tone for bass or lead, mainly because I'm not sure I have it working correctly on the rhythm path.

Updated file link with (hopefully) better scroll speed.

Thanks.

When you say about raising the bass sound, do you mean isolating the bass part of the MP3 or the bass part that we play?

I assume that you mean the part we play, by upping the volume on the tone?

Yes, this is what I mean, upping the tone's volume (in the Toolkit)

I'll test your v2 and will let you know how it goes!

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

Hi Van-Blurten, I gave this a play through just now (all tracks).

I'm a novice guitar player at best, but I believe the notes I his sounded about right.  The Guitar tones sounded fine to me too.  I thought the Rhythm track was quite good.

I feel though, the Lead track has too many spaces; meaning you wait a lot for your next section to play.  To make it more fun for the player, you may want to add some of the rhythm sections as fills for the lead - possibly some of the finger work from the rhythm track?  There did seem to be some odd sections on the lead as well: for example, there were a bunch of notes you had charted as harmonics, but I'm not so sure they all were.  Also near the end of the song there are a bunch of quick slides, that I think may be bends.  But again, on guitar, my skillz lack yo.   ;)

The bass played well.  I found the tone a little rubbery.  Like it has a bit too much boing to it.  Hard to describe.  But nonetheless, not a showstopper for me - I use an external amp to hear myself better when I play, so it often drowns out the RS tone somewhat although I try to keep the levels somewhat similar with similar effects - I have a Bronco 40... But I digress... 

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to beat maps, and I think yours may be off some.  I think the beat was either 8/4 or 4/4, but I'd have to give it another listen.  But a 4/4 beat usually starts with the kick drum on the 1st beat and the snare on the 3rd beat.  When looking at your waveform, the bass/kick drum looks like a thick red and green squiggle, whereas the snare is a thinner green spike.  The high-hat usually sounds on every beat, but is often too quiet to be seen in a waveform graph, unless it's all that's being played.  Try to match the first bass drum beat with the first beat of your measure.  See below:  The beat pictured here has a double bass kick at the start, and a snare on beats 2 and 4...  maybe not the best example, but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to express.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Beats.JPG

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

Thanks guys,

I'll remap it again and add in some to the lead.

I had thought of doing that, but GM also sings it, so the lead is somewhat sparse. Regarding the tones, I was more worried about the lead / rhythm as GM turned away from the traditional tones, even had his sound tech redesign his marshal and add an extra filter plus pre-amp stage to it.

Cheers for the feedback :)

I played version 1.7 on bass, the scroll speed is much better now and the tone's volume is also much more enjoyable. However I found the tone to be too agressive this time, too distorted. I think you could use the bass tone from U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name", it has a good rock feel but not too distorted.

• Like 1

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

• Administrator

The first beat of the measure isn't correctly placed.

All note of the lead are not on the grid but slightly off. The lead is so empty that i almost wanted to skip the song... there's places where you need to review the tab a bit like it was already said with slides that are probably bend and such.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@justgimmethefunk

Going through the U2 song in my head and I think that's a great starting point, also very useful as I deleted the tones from my game to check if it was working on dlc /muppet :blush:

@@firekorn

The emptiness was what I was afraid of, didn't know whether to bother with that track or not. 

Have taken this onboard and spent about 9 hrs yesterday and 2 hrs today transcribing and re authoring the guitar pro file. Will probably spend the rest of today making the tones then onto EoF. 

Thanks for the feedback and help guys, much appreciated :)

I have redone this into V2.

Reworked Lead path considerably.

Slightly altered Bass path.

Reworked Rhythm path.

Redone tones on all paths.

Adjusted timings accordingly.

Regarding the lead path, I have added a lot into it, maybe too much?

Lead path also had a "whammy bar" used in it, I have rewrote this as a series of bends, at these times:

16 secs     14th Fret    B string

1 min 51 secs     14th Fret    B string

2 min 59 secs       8th Fret    G string

3 min 01 secs       6th Fret    G string

3 min 21 secs     14th Fret    B string

3 min 21 secs     13th Fret    G string

3 min 21 secs     13th Fret    e string (1st)

I would be grateful for any feedback, and will act on any advice given, especially regarding the lead path, be it a tweak, removing the "whammy" bends or even a complete removal until completely rewritten :)

V2 Link here

• Administrator

Use this for the link tab and it will be 100 times better than what you have right now in my opinion ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZKYtpB0vu2YlByYW1QWlZKbTg/view?usp=sharing

I've just modified the actual tab (using RS2tab software) so you should be able to import it without any kind of issue. i've added many unpitch slides that need to have the ending fret set by hand after import.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Administrator

Don't have much more to say, what's left is more an aesthetics problem than real issue in the chart itself (i think the end tab is not 100% perfect but to be honest i don't have time to dig further).

If you have a guitar be sure to try every section around 50/60% speed to be able to play and hear at the same time to find any problem yourself in the tab.

For the aesthetics side, make sure that the note tails don't touch the next note and other little detail that you may have notice in official can make a good difference wihtout too much effort during the creation process.

About the use of the whammy bar, i strongly suggest to just have the note head and no tails at all since official do it this way. I wish they was a better way to indicate this.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography