[Feedback] Thoughts on Ignition

Saito

Question

First of all I would really like to thank all the people that made and are continuing to make CustomForge a great resource for guitar players that use RockSmith as an learning aid ( or just for fun  ).

Since Ignition launched I had some mixed feelings about it and I would like to elaborate on my first impressions.

---

I think you gain a lot of usability by experimenting with the overall layout. 

While the list form is a good way to display a lot of information at once which is useful if you're looking at a rundown of the most recent releases.

In this case the variation of different bands, tunings etc vary greatly.

For this I believe that Ignition is a good improvement but I think you could gain a lot in terms of music discovery. There is currently a lot of music on CustomForge I think isn’t the attention it deserves do you think we could improve this by separating the “artist”, “album”, “song”, “tuning” and “file details/download” and give each of them their own panel.

This would give you something similar to the layouts you often see in music players such as Foobar or Banshee.

This way one could select a band and immediately see all available albums in one panel, all the songs of the select band in another. Select an album the list of songs will filter to show just that album.

Something else I would try to achieve is discovery of new or old bands you might have lost touch with over the years. The only other way to do this now is basically go through all the bands and all the songs.

Since we are all music lovers here I think everyone has had the “I totally forgot about this band” moment. If we could use Ignition to re-ignite our passion for the music of our past.

---

For a last thought I wonder if it would be possible to add blank albums with their names grayed out for any existing artist in the database.

What I hope to achieve with this is two things:

1) With use of Last.fm, Discogs or such correctly add artist, album and song names to the database. I believe this could lead to a cleaner and better organized database.

2) I hope by showing missing albums and songs to encourage the community to fill them in.

A lot of good work has been done with Ignition already, it is significantly faster and easier to than the old search. I hope my idea’s don’t come over as completely bonkers  :)

Keep up the great work!

Music gives a spirit to the universe

wings to the mind, flight to the

imagination, and life to everything.

-Plato

3 answers to this question

This way one could select a band and immediately see all available albums in one panel, all the songs of the select band in another. Select an album the list of songs will filter to show just that album.

In the "old search", it was possible to click on a name (album, song, charter!) to get this name filter out.

That is lost in ignition, and the main reason why I use the "old search"

However the selected value filtered this value for all columns, which gave some weird results 

I would recommend (if possible) a switch for a "Filter mode", 

which allows adding several filters to narrow the result of queries,

by clicking on values in columns, which only apply on the selected column. 

• Administrator

It's not lost, when clicking on a CDLC line, the information that pop out are also selectable to search for specific artist, creator or album.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity