Tap Harmonic in Van Halen song

GoatHerd

I've been trying to track 2 Van Halen songs that use tap harmonics. They bassically require you to fret with the left hand and then produce a 12th fret harmonic by tapping the note 12 frets up from where you fretted it.

Ex.: You fret on the 9th fret with you keft hand, and then tap the string on the 21st.

It would bassically require Rocksmith to show 2 notes simultaneously on the same string. Kind of impossible, but I'm just putting it out there, in case someone has a creative way of tracking this. I'm thinking of putting a note in the vocals track.

Let music bring peace to our soul, and unite us above our tribes.

What if you were to make the harmonic note you tap the note that's playable (with tap, harmonic, and ignore statuses turned on) and at the same time have the fret hand position placed where the player should be fretting the other note. That way the player knows they should not move their left hand as well as tap and try to make a harmonic sound with their right. The ignore status is included so that players can't miss this note as I'm sure the RS engine isn't designed for tap harmonics. Like so:

image.png.ecffda40c4d1606412948af0fbb5d0f1.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, firekorn said:

You don't need the ignore status, those note can be recognized by the game properly.

The game can recognize both natural harmonics and tapped natural harmonics? The harmonic in my image above would produce an F (octave up from the fretted note) whereas a natural harmonic played at the 15th fret on the D string would produce a C that's about 30 cents flat. I figured the game would just look for the flattened C when a harmonic pops up at fret 15.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to experiment some more, because I had tap harmonics a few songs back. I can't remember which song. But setting just natural harmonic and the T on it, I couldn't get the game to recognize it. Even when playing at slower speeds. So I just marked it as Ignore.

There are 2 aspects, really:

1-getting the game to recognize the correctly played note,

2-representing the fretted position + tapped fret.

In the track I produced I achieved #1, with a representation that is correct, even if incomplete (it shows the tapped note, but not where you fret it). #2, though is impossible.

Let music bring peace to our soul, and unite us above our tribes.

• Administrator

#2 is possible but it requires some weird use of handshape to make it work.

You need to create a handshape with the fret you want the player to be on with an added open note for the handshape to be doable without it showing an additionnal fingerprint. It's a bit convoluted and not that readable in game but it does display the information.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 2 weeks later...