Syncing under the belt, but problems with phrases/sections/Riff Repeater

bokkiej

Question

Hi,

I've already made some custom songs which are at least playable and in sync. I've got that covered. However, I do have some questions about other parts of creating the custom song.

1 - Phrases and sections

I know how to make them. But, I haven't seen yet how to use them good. The effect I'd like to have is that a ) repeated parts adapt quickly to your skill, b ) it's easy to select a small part in riff repeater if you want to practice it (it's frustrating to have to play a large part which you already know just to practice a few notes at the end). If so, where do I place phrases and sections? About every x measure, more or less often, depending very much on the music... And can I use DDC to do this with minimal effort?

2 - Tones

I didn't add tones in the first few songs but apparently this creates problems. I know how to add tones in EoF and RCST and how to reuse existing tones. But: how exactly is the way to go if only one tone is used in a arrangement? And if multiple tones are used? For instance, do I have to specify the tone with which the song starts in EoF in both scenarios or only the second?

3 - Sometimes Rocksmith doesn't show the difficulty bars, even though RR and DDC seem to work in the Riff Repeater. ( What do I do wrong? Strange thing is that in one song it doesn't show for lead and does show for rhythm... (http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/along-for-the-ride-r3363).

4 - in RIff Repeater, sometimes it accepts many faults for a succes, even when error tolerance is set on none or low. (https://www.mediafire.com/?e5822m2fyui11z9).

5 - EoF whines about the measures not starting at the beginning. Do I have to accept it's proposition to add measures before it? It's easier for me when I do not, because if I have to edit something it's easier in Guitar Pro and when the measures aren't messed with in EoF it's easier to import.

These are the questions I have on the top off my head :) I've seen and read multiple tutorials but they often do explain how to add a section technically, but that doesn't mean I know where to place what in the songs I have.

If you need the EoF files to look for my errors, please say so, then I'll upload them :)

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)

3 answers to this question

1. If you don't know exactly how you want to define phrases and sections, it's probably best to use DDC. You could then unpack and import the XML files into EOF to see how they look and compare that with how it plays in-game.

2. If the arrangement doesn't have any tone changes, you don't have to do anything tone related in EOF, just define the tone in the toolkit.

3, 4. I don't know, if you post the project file somebody may be able to notice something.

5. It may or may not be necessary, for now you can ignore the message if you prefer to keep the measure numbering as it already is.

Sections are easy to add -- click on the beat marker where you want the section to start and use Shift-T . In the dialogue that opens, you can choose the type of section (verse, chorus, etc.). You can also choose to add the section as a phrase. (You can rename the sections at a later point, if you like, but I find this unnecessary).

As a general rule, I add a new section every 8 measures for simple/repetitive riffs, and every 4 measures for more complicated passages (solos, etc). You can make the sections even smaller if you like -- if a solo is really difficult for example.

Also, each track can have its own sections -- the bass guitar track doesn't usually need to be broken up into smaller sections during a solo, for example.

All similarly named PHRASES will level up at the same time. So if the chorus riff always remains the same, make sure you add those sections as phrases and using the same name.

For the adding measures dialogue:

First thing I do after importing the audio is add leading silence, then estimate the tempo and then, importantly, define the time signature at the first beat marker. Doing this adds numbered measures.

After that, I drag the first beat marker to line up with the start of the audio waveform. Then I save -- this prompts the add measures dialogue. I say yes. This changes the number of the measures, but sometimes (it depends on the song, I think) the measures will still be lined up with the audio. But if not, I drag the closest numbered measure (i.e., the first beat in the measure) to the start of the audio waveform. Since EOF's tempo estimation works fairly well, this should line up the beats fairly close to the audio  (depends on whether the intro is in time, which isn't always the case). You still have to go through the file and line up all the beat markers to the beats, of course. But if the song has a strong snare drum, this goes pretty quickly.

You can add extra measures at the begining of the GP file so that its measure numbering corresponds to EOF's.

Thank you guys. Re 3:

• If the generated phrases’s iterations is higher than 100, DD will work but the vertical bars may not be displayed in the game (due to RS limitation).

Source: http://ddcreator.wordpress.com/dynamic-difficulty-creator/eof-rules/

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)