Lower bitrate

DiversantBivnev

When I make leading silence OggCat doesn't work for me and I use re-encode. Then I see that EOF lowers bitrate to 128k which is very low. What can I do to fix this?

I suppose that similar issue is with Rocksmith Custom Song Creation Kit. When I make DLC I just use Rocksmith Custom Song Creation Kit and put my  .ogg file there (It's more convenient and obvious than wwise interface).

Is there any option of which bitrate my CDLC should be?

• Administrator

@@DiversantBivnev Note that all official DLC use the 128kbps and have the wwise quality settings set to 4.

Also so far, no double blind testing have been able to show that 128kbps is actually problematic :

http://listening-tests.freetzi.com/html/Multiformat_128kbps_public_listening_test_results.htm

Vorbis is actually god damn good at such a "low" bitrate.

@@raynebc I'll admit the fact that re-encode use a different value that what was set when creating the project is a bit weird especially since the user aren't informed of that change.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@DiversantBivnev Note that all official DLC use the 128kbps and have the wwise quality settings set to 4.

Also so far, no double blind testing have been able to show that 128kbps is actually problematic :

That's quite a surprise to me. Nowadays 128kbps, I think is really low, never considered myself an audiophile, but compressing metal tracks in low bitrate makes the difference I hear. Otherwise I wouldn't care for the bitrate.

• Administrator

@@DiversantBivnev Beware that we are hardwired to bend our perception to fit our pre-constructed belief, because you think a low bitrate means lower quality doesn't mean that it's actually audible in anyway and even though 128kbps isn't perfect, it's far from how bad some people make it seems.

Note that the more our technology and knowledge regarding psycho-acoustic evolve the lower we can go with the bitrate without altering the perception we have of a song, back in the beginning of MP3 or other compressed format, lower bitrate were indeed a massacre and clearly had audible issues but this is far behind us now. It's still preferable to use non lossy format but if you need to limit the diskspace or bandwidth used, then lossy format and low bitrate are the way to go which is why those format have made incredible progress especially when streaming music is so popular.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity