Trouble adjusting tempo + other manipulation annoyances

lduperval

Hi,

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but...

• How do I adjust tempo without affecting notes before it? I tried moving the --> around but it moves the notes before it too. I tried deselecting "adjust notes" in the BPM change menu and that made it work for one beat only, which is not what I want. I would like to adust a few bars, then a few others, and so on. Is there a way to do this?
  • IImported my tracks from GP5 (exported from TuxGuitar). In the song I'm tabbing (from the 70s) there is a spot where there is a silence, but the beat is not starting at the right location. How do I select all notes, from that location until the end, and shift them all by a half-measure or whatever I need? I know that I can use Ctral-A to select them all but I don't want to move the notes before where I am.

There's more but I'll start with these two, for now. Thanks!

L

@@lduperval

1) When you move a beat marker (the "-->") around, it will move all of the notes between it and the neighboring anchors (both before and after, if either are applicable). This is normal. If you put enough beat markers on the actual beats of the song, the location of the notes should also correspond with the actual locations of the notes in the song. (The exact definition of "enough" depends on the song, but for most songs getting the first beat of each measure is sufficient. Often times you can get away with less than that.

2) If the notes after the silence don't start at the right location, there are a few ways to deal with it.

-Stretch out a beat during the silence for longer than it "should" last so the stuff after it starts at the right place. This might make the beatmap look kind of weird, but it's not too bad and it's the easiest solution.

-Add a measure of the needed length to the GP file. This can often get messy (at least with TuxGuitar) because if you shorten a measure it tends to move around everything after that measure.

-Select the notes after the silence (select the first note after the silence, then Shift+click the last note in the song), then either click and drag the notes to the appropriate place or adjust their positions with Ctrl+] (and make sure the grid snap is fine enough). If you just do this then new sections (verses, choruses, etc.) may start mid-measure. I think you can then fix this in EoF by then changing the time signature of the measure that ends the silence so that the new notes start in the appropriate place in the measure. You might need to change the time signature after back to what it was, too.

Edit: Oops, misclicked and posted before I was ready. More coming. Done!

Edited by albatross213

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Ok, thanks, I'll try that. I have another question: When I created my GP5, I set the beat at 142. I timed it in TuxGuitar to see, and there are a few places where I am off-beat, but simply pausing the song to give TG a chance to catch up shows me that the beats are pretty close to the original song. However, in EoF, the beat is completely off. I import it, I tell EoF to estimate BPM (142.63 whereas I put 142 in mine) but it looks like it's around 120. I have to set the beat around 170 BPM to make it match in EoF. Is that normal or will I have a problem when I use WWIse?

Thanks,

L

@@lduperval - When you say "it looks like it's around 120" when you set it to ~142, do you mean that the beats each last for half a second, or that the quarter notes each last for half a second? If you have EoF estimate BPM it looks like it adjusts the beats without adjusting the notes (which is OK if you've already saved it like that - it just means that you should import the tab again), which would have at least the early beats reasonably close to "on beat" but the notes would still be at 120 BPM if you imported before estimating.

Anyway, the thing that stands out to me when looking at those numbers is that the ratio of 170 to 142 is almost exactly that of 142 to 120, so I'd guess that whatever you did it set the beats at 142 while the notes stayed at 120. You should always make sure that the notes stay beat synced (which is maybe another advantage of the first method I mentioned where you stretch a beat out - if you import the tab again things will show up in the right place.

Edit: The computer that I tested this out on had an older version of EoF. The "Estimate BPM" behavior might have changed since then, but I don't remember any updates about it.

Edited by albatross213

@@lduperval It look like you do not read any manual about creating cdlc. It bad, bcs of you can not make good cdlc without knowledge.

First that you must doing it is right beatmap synced with audio. Check in tabs average temp, set  beat synced with start a song, then adjust other beats for synced with drums. Use metronome in EOF (key M), and set on spectrogram for clear view where is beat and drums. And use slow playback rate 75 or 50. Estimate bpm very rare give good result, so is enough useless.

Then set time signature in EOF, check which it is in tabs, an example 4/4.

Check number measure where start a song (or notes) in EOF, and adjust number measure in gp. An example in EOF guitar start from 7 measure, then adjust all measures in GP, that here too  guitar must  to begin from 7 measure. In Guitar Pro for adding empty measure( to all tracks) it is ctrl+Ins

And then you can easily import your notes, and they set in enough right positions. Then set grid snap (an example 32.) and select all notes and resnap. Then you can adjust all with more precision. Use claps (key C) for notes.

Ps. I hope you doing cdlc for simple a song, without changing temp and time signature :)

Hi,

For the record, I did read and look at videos before doing this. Yes, I chose a simple song (I think) to begin. Like I said, when I did it in GuitarTab, the BPM was almost correct. Once in a while it lagged a bit, but overall it was correct, including initial silences, etc. I will recheck, since I don't understand the silence part were I fall out of sync.

Having said that, I still have a few questions:

• @@albatross213 How do you stretch a silence in EOF? I tried that but couldn't figure it out, but from you post it seems like it should be trivial.
  • You may be on to something for the 160/142 thing. I tried a first attempt at importing the GP5 file, and I seem to remember that the track was much mor in sync than it is now. But since I messed things up, I deleted the track and tried re-importing it and I think that's when it sort of messed things up. I tried deleting everything in the folder (except my Mp3, GP5 and TG files) and tried to start over in the same folder but EoF refused to save data. I had to create a new folder, but it's in that new folder that I'm having the 16- vs 142 problem. Is there something that prevents EoF from editing the same file in the same folder after you've deleted all of the previous artifacts?
  • If I want to start over, what is the proper sequence?
    • Start EoF
    • Create new song with MP3 file
    • Import GP5 track (import time signature)
    • Set BPM from the first note and adjust all notes
    • Tweak as needed

Is there a tutorial (I prefer written to video) that I should be looking at above all else? I used:

http://customsforge.com/topic/1922-how-to-make-pc-cdlcs-for-rocksmith-2014-tutorial-wscreenshots-by-darjusz/

and I just noticed this one

http://customsforge.com/topic/22655-syncing-your-beat-map-with-editor-on-fire-eof/?hl=tutorial

Thanks,

L

@@lduperval - for stretching out a silence, I just mean making some of the beats that occur in the silence last longer than they should according to the tempo.

Here's a pictorial example. First, a image of how things look with a good tab:

http://i.imgur.com/BJlZing.png

Now, let's instead pretend that the tabber was stupid and had measure 71 as 2/4 rather than 3/4. Then after importing and syncing up to that point I'd have something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/IsjZpN7.png

That's no good, but I'm lazy, so I'm going to fix it as easily as I can. Since there are no notes in it, I just make the first beat of measure 71 very slow (here, ~half of the actual tempo), so that the notes in masure 72 are where they should be:

http://i.imgur.com/QVEEoaz.png

Is that clearer? If the silence isn't long enough for you to have a beat with no notes, you can cheat your way around it by switching from 4/4 to 8/8 time or something like that (though the boundaries between x/4 and y/8 time tend to act oddly).

With the save issues, I have no idea what's causing that. Sometimes I've had EoF be unhappy about trying to start a new project in a particular folder, but I don't remember the specifics of that.

If you want to start over, you don't need to reload the mp3 or any of that stuff. Just delete what's on each track (use Ctrl+A, and if there are tech notes switch over to tech view and delete those too. Until I'm finished syncing, I only have the bass track in EoF unless there are lengthy sections with no bass), then use the reset BPM option and you're back to a blank slate.

Lastly, I forgot to mention it earlier, but since you mentioned using Wwise, you no longer have to use it directly (most of the tutorials are pretty old). When you're making the .psarc package, just point the Toolkit at the .ogg file used for your EoF project and the Toolkit will handle the rest. No need to go through all the BS fiddling with Wwise yourself.

• Administrator

If you want a written tutorial about beat map in EOF you can always check mine : http://customsforge.com/topic/5099-how-to-sync-your-beat-map/

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Lastly, I forgot to mention it earlier, but since you mentioned using Wwise, you no longer have to use it directly (most of the tutorials are pretty old). When you're making the .psarc package, just point the Toolkit at the .ogg file used for your EoF project and the Toolkit will handle the rest. No need to go through all the BS fiddling with Wwise yourself.

Hi,

What do you mean by this? I tried to look for an ogg file in all the ones that were created by my project but didn't find it; I only saw a WAV file. I ended up using the same approach that is mentioned here: 

http://customsforge....ots-by-darjusz/

Is there a newer tutorial that explains how to do this in a more efficient manner?

Thanks,

L

• Administrator

that's probably because the toolkit isn't up to date (and quite old to be honest). make sure you check the beta repo in the settings of the toolkit for update as the other isn't uptodate anymore.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity