Video recording on laptop

Huumetucca

Question

I'd like to record some gameplay videos, but I guess my computer is just not up to it since I get like 25 fps while recording. Unless I totally butcher the quality, that is. Without recording I get nice and stable 60fps.

Guess my questions are:

1. Would recording to an external HDD help at all? I got some laying around, 7200rpm ones I guess, but only USB2.0.

2. Is there any, say sub-$100, recorder solution that would be useful? In times past I've heard of Elgato and the likes, but do they help when the source computer is slow to begin with?

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

I can play the game on max settings and get 60fps when not streaming/recording, but as soon as I start encoding video the game becomes an unplayable mess unless I really mess around with my settings.

One thing I have found that makes a huge difference to fps while recording is going into your task manager and making the rocksmith process have high processor priority. This seems to smooth things a lot.

Always taking requests <-- My twitch page.

I use Bandicam myself (desktop pc), but I have heard great things about Open Broadcaster software and I know it is what Kailjin uses to capture all his vids.

Its basically webcam software but it can record videos too, and is extremely light on the system.

There's actually a thread on it

http://customsforge.com/topic/12266-open-broadcaster-software-guide/?hl=open+broadcaster

Enjoy :D

Guess my questions are:

1. Would recording to an external HDD help at all? I got some laying around, 7200rpm ones I guess, but only USB2.0.

2. Is there any, say sub-$100, recorder solution that would be useful? In times past I've heard of Elgato and the likes, but do they help when the source computer is slow to begin with?

1. No this would most likely make it slower. The problem is CPU usage not I/O transfer rate here and USB is slower then SATA.

2. I don't know of a sub 100 dollar one, the Avermedia Elgato is extremely popular but Amazon has it listed for $135.00 right now. However unless you're offloading the encoding to another computer this will not help you. So what I mean is you'd need to run Rocksmith on one computer, and have the Capture Card connected to another PC that was actually doing the encoding that would be connected to video out on the first PC.

I use OBS, if you don't it's completely free if you want to try it, and there's possibly a medium you can come to with video and audio quality and the specs of your PC, look around the forums. Not knowing the specs of said PC I really don't know for sure though.

One thing I have found that makes a huge difference to fps while recording is going into your task manager and making the rocksmith process have high processor priority. This seems to smooth things a lot.

I'll give this a try tonight, thanks!

I use Bandicam myself (desktop pc), but I have heard great things about Open Broadcaster software and I know it is what Kailjin uses to capture all his vids.

I tried Bandicam (along with few other OSX-specific recorders) without much success. I'll give this a go.

2. I don't know of a sub 100 dollar one, the Avermedia Elgato is extremely popular but Amazon has it listed for $135.00 right now. However unless you're offloading the encoding to another computer this will not help you. So what I mean is you'd need to run Rocksmith on one computer, and have the Capture Card connected to another PC that was actually doing the encoding that would be connected to video out on the first PC.

I do have my old C2D computer unused, although not sure if that's really useful anymore nowadays.

I finally got (around making things) it working with OBS. Biggest problem was getting the sound run through headphones and OBS simultaneously, but I finally managed to figure that out as well, and now it all works pretty nicely. I'm getting some framedrops in the recording, but I'll try to tweak that a little - still, not much you can do with HD 4000, but I feel now it's better than what I got with Screenflow. A bit lower resolution, but I doubt anyone on YT honestly cares.

Just gotta see how I'll manage the guitar cam. Now my face puts young Brad Pitt to shame, whereas the rest of me is the laughing stock of Jabba the Hutt, so I'll have to see if I have the means to crop anything gut the guitar out. Although not sure it that makes much sense either...