Home Recording Setup

Reddog

Does anyone record/make music videos?  If so, what's your setup?  any tips or better yet, what not to do?!?  lol- that is just as important

I use a PC so i'm looking at the RME babyface with totalmix FX. 

The apogee looks good but i'm not a mac person. (not yet anyway - refurb ipads don't seem to bad in price) I may build a system depending on how far down this rabbit hole I end up going!

(and no, this isn't a mac vs. pc thread...lol.. those can get heated!)

I record @home when I find the time. My Signal chain goes sth. like this:

Guitar - Pedals - Amp (Pedals) - Sm57 & Sennheiser e906 - Focusrite Scarlett - Reaper (Vsts)

Pretty simple but works fine for me. I also use a POD GX  with POD Farm to quickly record ideas.

I record @home when I find the time. My Signal chain goes sth. like this:

Guitar - Pedals - Amp (Pedals) - Sm57 & Sennheiser e906 - Focusrite Scarlett - Reaper (Vsts)

Pretty simple but works fine for me. I also use a POD GX  with POD Farm to quickly record ideas.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to recording, but do the pedals and the amp plug straight into the Scarlett, or am I able to use Scarlett alongside, say, POD Farm to get the tone I want to record with?

Hey,

sry I left out one crucial element in the chain, the cabinet which i mic using the Shure and Sennheiser microphones. These two go into the Focusrite. The Pedals in front and in the loop of the amp are just for tonal changes or effects.

You could of course use software Amps and plug your guitar directly into an Audiointerface. With POD Farm you need a Line 6 Interface though

and this is why I am keeping the POD GX. But there are a lot of superb free vst amps out there. This is a great source:

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.de/

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

If it says Focusrite, RME, or Apollo you can't really go wrong.  Just whatever is in your budget.  Amazon is good for finding guide prices.

I use a Tascam interface, but that's just because it has the input count that I needed for the cash.

Directly injecting guitars (plugging them straight into the interface) works quite well, and some of the modern programs can make it sound amazing (I use Guitar Rig Pro 5) but, if you want that amazing sound then you really need to mic up a cab.

By all means record as many separate lines as you can at once e.g. while playing the guitar record the cab using a mic, record the line out at the back of the amp too.  Then run the line out through a guitar amp program to "add" to the sound of the cab, or do amazing things like add a slight delay and pan them left and right.

• Like 1

I have a Line 6 UX2 that I use, which came with Gearbox software (simulates pedals, cabinets and speakers) that I route my guitar and mic through into my computer. I also have a DX21 FM Synth that I use for not much more than a MIDI input device, and an Alesis QX25 which has far better programmable controllers and programmable key velocity for recording into my DAW software.

The weakest link in my system is the audio output from all this. I hate it, but my neighbors love it. One day I'm going to put it through about 500 watts so I can hear the reverb from the woods behind my house.

But, to really answer the question you asked - I don't make videos, just music. That's a whole other skill set I'm not into sharpening at this point.

I've only dabbled in recording, but all that dabbling is in Ubuntu Studio.  Rocksmith cable, mustang amp with usb (so you can get the Mustangs modeled effects into the studio!) and a Yamaha keyboard with USB in for Midi.

It's awesome.  Effects racks, drum kits, audio processors, syths, mixers, recording, real time kernel, and a super awesome patch system for putting it all together.  I'm quite impressed with it.  I find I don't have enough monitors for all the tools that I can pull up.

And a disclaimer:  I'm a Linux zealot, so take it everything I say with a grain of salt.  I might be an elitist bastard and not know it.  Still, you should try it.  Super Awesome DAW.

Though, I wish it was as cool as sneaker mic.  That rules!

Ubuntu Studio FTW

http://ubuntustudio.org/

This is what I use mainly;

Video Editing: Adobe Premier CS & After Effects (Have not used them in years now but that was my setup) 
Music Recording: Cubase Elements, Audacity, and lots of VSTi (Use currently)
Music Making: Orion64, Fruity Loops Studio. (Use Currently)

Those are the software setup I mainly use. 

Here is a look at my setup which I am still working setting up this room.

http://files.enjin.com.s3.amazonaws.com/209980/modules/forum/attachments/My+Studio+1_1394603350.jpg

Games: Rocksmith, Rocksmith 2014 | New Instrument: Takamine G Series EG444C-VV Acoustic/Electric, | Other Instruments: Ibanez Bass Gio Gsr200, Ibanez Gio GRG 170XD Electric Guitar, Alvarez Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Samick SGP 151G Digital Baby Grand Piano, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88| Alesis Nitro Drum Set | Equipments: Scarlett Studio (MC25 Condence Mic, Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface) JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitor,  Splash Shield, M-Audio AV30, Klipsch THX, Shure State Mic, | Softwares: Cubase 9 LE, Pro Logic X, SONAR X3, FL Studio 20.