Download Links

malaki

Question

hi,

if you changed the download links in the CDLC database to link directly to the filehoster it would redude a lot of traffic costs for you,

why don't you make the download link link to the file directly and add another link for example when clicking the name or something, that leads back to the forum and description

3 answers to this question

Not a moderator so this might not be the official stance, but I think the reason is mainly for the charters, so players can more easily thank them or clearly report issues (for example here, if the download link doesn't work/leads to the wrong song, which sometimes happens). In addition, charters often communicate information one would not consider within the release notes about certain parts of the charts, which may otherwise lead to confusion when one first loads the song up blind.

Plus, I think this community is superfriendly and honestly any additional platform for that friendliness to shine is cool.

I've always got the multitracks.

What Malaki is suggesting would allow for both a direct link to the filehost (the download link) and another link to go to the custom's page within the forum (he suggests the link be the name of the track, I think it should just be a second link beside the download link).

This way those of us who like to download customs from specific charters, and are familiar with their style and standards of work, can get direct access to the filehost from the list.

I can't leave any feedback until after I've played through the custom anyway, so having to go from the DB list, to the forum, and then to the filehost is a bit redundant.

However....

In the current state of things, adding a separate direct download link into the DB list will only help so much.  Not all customs are uploaded with both PC/Mac versions (I'm a Mac user).  Some are posted with separate versions with DD or riff repeater.  So even if there is a separate link to the filehost, most users will still have to go to the forum page to find the version they want anyway.

Yeah, I kinda blanked on the second part of his suggestion when I was responding, that was my bad. Again release notes sometimes have important information, but the rest of what I said is more or less moot. You however bring up some good points about the various kinds of minor issues that would come up.

I've always got the multitracks.