Phyrgian Dominant Mode

Malvager

Question

13 answers to this question

• Administrator

It's simple and i'll explain how to recreate this :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0-1-3-5-6-8-10-12-------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------0-2-4-5-7-9-10-12-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------0-2-3-5-7-9-10-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E

--h--f--f--f--h--f--f--

h = half step

f = full step

The phrygian in C go from E to E (C+2 for the phrygian). The Half steps are between 1-2 and 5-6 so it's between E-F and B-C.

From there you start from the low E strings, open because E is in the scale, then it's simple repetition, you have an half step so it's one fret first, then two frets between each consecutive note till you get to the B which will be one fret again (the other half step) etc.

And from 12 to the rest you just have to repeat the pattern by just adding 12 to the fret number, 12 being the octave.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

It's simple and i'll explain how to recreate this :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0-1-3-5-6-8-10-12-------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------0-2-4-5-7-9-10-12-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------0-2-3-5-7-9-10-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E

--h--f--f--f--h--f--f--

h = half step

f = full step

The phrygian in C go from E to E (C+2 for the phrygian). The Half steps are between 1-2 and 5-6 so it's between E-F and B-C.

From there you start from the low E strings, open because E is in the scale, then it's simple repetition, you have an half step so it's one fret first, then two frets between each consecutive note till you get to the B which will be one fret again (the other half step) etc.

And from 12 to the rest you just have to repeat the pattern by just adding 12 to the fret number, 12 being the octave.

I don't understand how I would apply this to a box on a guitar

Hm, on wikipedia they say, that phrygian dominant mode consists of the tones 1 - ♭2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - ♭6 - ♭7 - 1. In fact this would mean, that it is played on the E- and e-string on frets

-0-1-4-5-7-8-10-12---

This page has quite a lot of information for this mode, which fits whats said on wikipedia.

The german wikipedia provides a sond sample as a midi-file (look for "Hörbeispiel" at the end of the page).

• Administrator

It's absolutely impossible in a scale to go from 1-4, it's a full and a half step, which doesn't exist in any major scale mode which are only made of half and full step plus the fact that there is 3 half step in what you say but the scale is supossed to have only two half step.

What i indicate is all the correct fret for the phrygian in C between the open and the 12 fret. From there you can simply choose to stay at one given position like 5 which will give :

-5---7-8-

-5-6---8-

-5---7---- or -4-5---7-

-5---7---9- or ----5---7-

-5---7-8-

-5---7-8-

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

:wink:

It's absolutely impossible in a scale to go from 1-4

No, it's not impossible. Have a look to the wikipedia article i've linked. As you'll see it describes a scale with a one-and-a-half-step. 

it's a full and a half step, which doesn't exist in any major scale mode which are only made of half and full step

Yes, a one-and-a-half-step doesn't exist in any major scale. But the original poster did ask for a dominant scale which in fact does have a one-and-a-half-step.There are two wikipedia articles on the phrygian mode:One for the major, which consists only of half- or full-steps.One for the dominant, which has a one-and-a-half-step.Boths exist and both are used in music.

• Administrator

My bad! Missed the dominant and just used the phrygian so here's the right version for the phrygian dominant with the E root :

-0-1-----4-5---7-8---10---12

-0-1---3---5-6-----9-10---12

---1-2---4-5---7---9-10------13

-0---2-3-----6-7---9-10---12

-0---2-3---5---7-8-----11-12

-0-1-----4-5---7-8---10---12

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

My bad! Missed the dominant and just used the phrygian so here's the right version for the phrygian dominant with the E root :-0-1-----4-5---7-8---10---12-0-1---3---5-6-----9-10---12---1-2---4-5---7---9-10------13-0---2-3-----6-7---9-10---12-0---2-3---5---7-8-----11-12-0-1-----4-5---7-8---10---12

Never mind. It's the same which i've linked to. Furthermore this blog gives a hint for the 4-finger-a-string set and lists all 7 positions on the fretboard.

• Administrator

nop that's exactly the same if you take the fret number i indicate plus 12 for the octave where he is playing you'll find that he plays the exact same fret that i indicate in the last post.

My first post is wrong because i've wrote a simple phrygian and not a phrygian dominant but as indicated in @a.peter links and as i indicate in my last post you fall on the exact same note that he plays on your video.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

nop that's exactly the same if you take the fret number i indicate plus 12 for the octave where he is playing you'll find that he plays the exact same fret that i indicate in the last post.

I have to agree Malvager. In the video he plays: 
e ---12---------------B ---12-13----15-16---G ------13-14---------D ---12-14-15---------A ---12-14-15---------E ---12-13-------16---
But according to wikipedia and the linked blog it should be:
e ---12---------------B ---12-13----15------G ------13-14---------D ---12----14-15------A ---12----14-15------E ---12-13-------16---

• Administrator

But even if he play one time the Eb, he never does again in the rest of the 3 octave scale, i thinks it's a fail on his part on the B string.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography