Rocksmith sight reading

Hippy22

Do people sight read when learning songs on rocksmith ?  I am asking because if you put difficulty to 100% it gives you the full song, but it requires more memory and learning parts  slowed down over and over, a lot of people would say that is a great  way to learn but am i missing out  learning to sight read within  rocksmiths note highway with the use of DD, I am comparing it with the same thing you would do for piano if you were learning to sight read it is generally less notes  and slow speed and then you get better at reading  you move up a level,   So the thing that is confusing me is are we learning to get better at sight reading in rocksmith or are we learning to play guitar because these  are two separate things to learn,  So people using 100% difficulty are not learning to sight read but more memory and people using DD mode will be or should be better at reading from rocksmith.  

• Like 1

Excellent question...

I mostly play bass with Rocksmith, have played for about half a year now, and nowadays I pretty much always start by setting difficulty at 100% and sight read everything at first try. Then obviously, sometimes there's a song which is too difficult for me to play because I can't really follow up what's in the screen (this is especially true for songs with lots of empty string notes, which confuse me immensely when they mix up with fretted notes). When this happens, I use the riff repeater to practice separate sections, slowed down for example to 50% until I understand which notes to play, then gradually increase the speed up to 100%.

With the guitar, typically I just can't sight read at all because there's too many strings, too many notes, chords and solos... Unlike with bass, I do not accept the idea of playing less notes than the full score, with the exceptions of (1) removing non-essential notes from chords and (2) cut corners in sloppy or improvised solos. So the only way for me is again to slow down the tempo, but I then actually prefer to learn a song at no tempo, meaning without following a specific timing, be it background track or metronome. I just like keeping the transcription open in front of me and learn different sections at my own pace, then when I feel ready I jump to play on top of the record. In brief, I very rarely use Rocksmith with guitar at all, because it doesn't really suit my learning habits.

And by the way, I've been overall playing guitar for 30 years, and bass for 6 month. That probably explains the huge difference for me between the two.

Ok, so...hear me out. 

I've only been practicing for a week with the game, but the dumb arcade games help a LOT with things like muscle memory for where the frets are, and which string is which. If all you're doing is Learn a Song, you're doing yourself a disservice. Play some of the arcade games as a warmup. They're frustrating ar first, but boy howdy, when you start getting a streak with that little pink cowboy without looking at the strings... chef's kiss.

3 hours ago, HanabiCraft said:

Ok, so...hear me out. 

I've only been practicing for a week with the game, but the dumb arcade games help a LOT with things like muscle memory for where the frets are, and which string is which. If all you're doing is Learn a Song, you're doing yourself a disservice. Play some of the arcade games as a warmup. They're frustrating ar first, but boy howdy, when you start getting a streak with that little pink cowboy without looking at the strings... chef's kiss.

Interesting suggestion... I have never even tried the arcade games! I must take a look.