Encourage more users to chart CDLC

mczero

Question

How can we encourage more users of this site to chart CDLCs?

I just had a look through the Request CDLC tab and there's an almost infinite list of hopeful suggestions. It's mainly a dumping ground for requests. I doubt if many charters actually look it up. They of course have a huge list of their own favourites at the particular time and do one of those. I somehow doubt that as many as one percent of site members actually chart. It's tempting to just be a passive down-loader and use other peoples efforts to learn to play.  I have only done half a dozen charts myself, as I'm slow at it and it's a lot of work and I don't have much time. I only started because another enthusiastic member, Avdocatwork encouraged me to try. There's lots of good help once you get started on the Create CDLC tab and other places on the net. But how can we encourage more users to actually have a go? It's a steep learning curve at the beginning, but anyone can learn. The more of us that chart, the more likely your favourite song will appear on Ignition.  Users seem to be less inclined to give positive feedback on CDLC in recent years. (Well that's my impression anyhow.) Maybe we could publish a list of first time charters like we do for Patreons, I don't know, but I think the Admins should think about something like that. After all, we're not getting any more content from Ubi, and new content leads to donors and keeps RS and this site alive.

I'm just asking how can we get more users to become charters?

• Like 2

Unaccredited Charter

On 5/15/2021 at 10:02 AM, mczero said:

I just had a look through the Request CDLC tab and there's an almost infinite list of hopeful suggestions. It's mainly a dumping ground for requests. I doubt if many charters actually look it up. They of course have a huge list of their own favourites at the particular time and do one of those.

It's a steep learning curve at the beginning, but anyone can learn. 

I look through that thread from time to time, but there are a lot of requests for things I'm either not familiar with or don't like.  The CDLCs I have made start with high-quality MP3s or FLACs from my collection, or I will go out and buy them if necessary.  I have taken requests from other users but they have requested them in the comments section for my CDLCs.

Regarding the learning curve, there are helpful videos and instructions that can show you how to make the CDLC itself.  However to make a good one, you have to start with a good tab.  Unfortunately there are a lot of bad tabs out there and many are just plain wrong.  Even the "Official" tabs at UG.  So some knowledge of music theory is necessary to be able to spot the problems and fix them.  If you don't fix them, you end up with a junk CDLC.  I can see how some people might get discouraged if they can never get it to sync correctly, which will inevitibly happen if the tab you are using is wrong.   Imagine trying to use one that has the wrong time signature.  For some songs, no tab exists or is nowhere to be found, and you have to create it yourself by listening and transcribing it.  It takes a while to get to that level. 😄

Lately my problem with creating new ones has been time.  My work is interfering with my bass playing again.  When things slow down again, I will post some more.  I've got a few queued up but no spare time.  I suspect many members have this same problem, especially old guys with families like me.

I have often wondered however - I know that we have this forum but there isn't really a collaboration area (that I can find anyway, the Workshop area doesn't really seem to be anything of the sort).  What I mean is, I mostly make my CDLCs with only the bass part.  This is because I can't error check the guitar part.  Perhaps there is someone who can create guitar tabs but doesn't know how to make CDLC or maybe doesn't have all of the required software to do it.  Or they feel the same way about not being able to error check the bass part.  They could just send me their tab and I could roll it into my CDLC or vice-versa.

• Like 1